PDA

View Full Version : How to figure timing on product for my cobra script

Melp
01-28-2015, 09:15 PM
I am using the excel program to write a scripts for my Cobra. Im not sure if I am trying to me to exact but How do I figure out the time from when I ignite the shell to when it explodes up in the sky. Watching the video on how to write the script it seems pretty easy if you start with a cake that takes 15 seconds you start at 0-15 then start something else from 15 seconds to the next length. Am I trying to be to exact like a musical, which bring up a good question how do you figure the exact times of explosion?:confused:

PyroJoeNEPA
01-28-2015, 09:45 PM
Lots of things to consider here: If you are referring to 1.3 shells, you need to time the "lift to break" time which is slightly different from vendor to vendor. Also, the "time in the sky" varies with the effect of the shell--for instance--a peon will disappear very quickly, but a Nishiki Kamoro, large Willow or Palm Tree,or Horsetail will hang in the air much longer & you don't want to "step" o the pattern with another shell too quickly. Again, this varies with the manufacturer. That is part of the reason Yung Feng shell cost probably double what a Sunny--or other brand shell- costs. Hang time cost more $$$.
If you are only concerned about putting a basic firing program together--not a pyromusical--it is a lot more "forgiving".
If you know what product you are going to use-check youtube for dealer demo's of the items to get the timing. Also, some manufacturers have video of most of their shells available too.
Cakes are another story--they are the most unpredictable devices out there--both the Class B & the class C. Sometimes they work they way they should but most of the time they don't.

bottomshot
01-28-2015, 09:59 PM
Really depends on what you are trying to do. Like the post above me, are you shooting C or B, cakes or shells? Why not just script the show to step fire. Example, last year I was asked to fire a show for the county fair. The product was going to be brought to the fair grounds and I had no idea what I was going to get. No problem, brought the laptop with me, it was a few hundred three, four, five inch shells with both b & c cakes. Ematched it all up and had it scripted in about 1/2 hour. Thing was is this was not a pyromusical and didnt need perfect timing. Something to at least think about, might work out great for you.

Melp
01-28-2015, 10:05 PM
Wow I didnt even think of different vendors shell having different hang times. My wife wants to do the scripts and Im sure she will be asking times on things. Im going to have to tell her I have to buy all kinds of shells to test them out!!! I thought the cakes would be the easiest as you can go onto wikifireworks and get the times.
I know if I can get my wife to do the scripts she'll want me to buy the audiobox so she can work on musical. If you havent guessed already I have a long term plan on fireworks!!!!!

Melp
01-28-2015, 10:15 PM
This year I'll be shooting more 1.3 with some 1.4. I have about 150 tubes for 1.91 so its hard to just stop using them. I was just able to purchase enough pipe for 50 guns of dr17 . I'd really like to combine all of them and some cakes to put on a neat show. What I really want to do is create the front show. Some one here told me thats what it was called. I want to build my own speciality racks, then be able to put those into my show.

Westpapyro
01-29-2015, 04:41 AM
When using ematch for single shots like comets and mines, typically use 0.1 to 0.2 pre fire time, depending on product? Same for first shot of a cake that is matched into first tube, if wanting timing to match that first break in the air, watch lots of video and try and get close to timing the first break. Ditto that to shells that are ematched into bottom lift, best to shoot a few and get your timing till that first break. Pretty much takes research like shooting that item or watching videos to try and get exact timing. Note that you would rather have it go off early than late, I think a persons brain adjusts better to it that way, because when you see something like a firework going off late compared to the beat of the music your brain says whoa! Something wrong, lol.
My 2 cents