PDA

View Full Version : Quickly fuse a mortar rack

mguerra
01-27-2015, 11:50 AM
When you first start in this hobby, you kind of like fusing up mortar racks with chain fuse. However, it soon becomes a serious PIA. I was trying to think of a way to really speed it up with some kind of super quick and cheap connector, rather than using masking tape. So I tried a paper straw:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtpaLzdgkzY
I practiced it a few more times and got very quick at it. I will do this for my next show and see if I like it enough to do it routinely.

Edit: I don't know why the audio is out, I will try to fix it.

mguerra
01-27-2015, 11:53 AM
If a moderator wants to delete this til I fix it, go ahead. You can also see it with audio over at the other forum...

PyroManiacs
01-27-2015, 12:58 PM
I hear the audio just fine.

That method is pretty interesting... Ill have to try it as well.

beakman706
01-27-2015, 02:27 PM
Good idea. I'll give that a try.

mguerra
01-31-2015, 05:15 PM
OK, it's raining so I shot a test rack of paper straw chain fused consumer ball shells, American Brave. In my previous video you saw that there was a snug fit of the chain fuse/shell fuse connection in the paper straw. In this test, the fuses on the ball shells are a little smaller in diameter than the Excal fuses in the first video. So the connection was a little loose. Nevertheless, all the shells fired. You will see in the video, at one point the fire shot forward and lit the third shell before the second. It has nothing to do with the straws, I don't think, but illustrates the vagary of consumer fuses. And one reason why you cannot accurately time script 1.4 product. This is why I say to step fire consumer shows. This is not the purpose of the video, but an interesting side light. As you can see, the chain fuse, pink 10 sec./ft., burns well ahead of the shells, so there is no way a lifting shell is going to pull anything loose, as someone surmised might occur. Yes, I should also test 30 sec./ft. fuse. But based on the pace of these shells with the 10 sec./ft. fuse I don't think I will use any fuse that is three times slower!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5kLeKcEyMA

PyroManiacs
01-31-2015, 07:28 PM
Looks good to me.

PyroJoeNEPA
02-01-2015, 11:19 AM
I've been following your results on this project. Looks like a great idea--but my question is--where did you find paper straws? It seems like overnight [many years ago] all the paper straws disappeared and were replaced with plastic & the paper ceased to exist. I wanted to get some one time to make "mini lance" for a project but could not find them anywhere. I even went to a local restaurant supply house & the fellow there looked at me like I was nuts!

NOLApyro
02-01-2015, 01:34 PM
It looks like amazon sells some:
http://www.amazon.com/Kikkerland-Biodegradable-Paper-Straws-Striped/dp/B004K8N0Z0/ref=sr_1_2?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1422810872&sr=1-2&keywords=paper+straws&pebp=1422810882262&peasin=B004K8N0Z0

I'm not really sure if this is a good price though.

PyroJoeNEPA
02-01-2015, 03:01 PM
It looks like amazon sells some:
http://www.amazon.com/Kikkerland-Biodegradable-Paper-Straws-Striped/dp/B004K8N0Z0/ref=sr_1_2?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1422810872&sr=1-2&keywords=paper+straws&pebp=1422810882262&peasin=B004K8N0Z0

I'm not really sure if this is a good price though.

Thanks for the tip on the straws. Free shipping if you buy $35.00....but I don't think I would need seven gross of them! Have to see what the actual shipping on one lot is.
I saw in the reviews that several people had purchased them for weddings--so I am going to check with a couple local catering companies to see if they might ever use them.

Westpapyro
02-02-2015, 12:56 AM
Maybe go to Dollar store and get Pixie sticks, suck out all that sugar and use the left over straws!

mguerra
02-02-2015, 09:03 AM
There are several on Amazon with a lower minimum. I got mine at a local craft store in the party goods section. They have color themes of paper plates, cups, napkins and so on, including paper straws. A craft store or a party store will have them in small unit quantities.

PyroJoeNEPA
02-02-2015, 10:40 AM
There are several on Amazon with a lower minimum. I got mine at a local craft store in the party goods section. They have color themes of paper plates, cups, napkins and so on, including paper straws. A craft store or a party store will have them in small unit quantities.

Thanks for the info! I will follow up on that.

PyroManiacs
02-02-2015, 01:55 PM
Maybe go to Dollar store and get Pixie sticks, suck out all that sugar and use the left over straws!

Just what a bunch of pyros need out in the field, lol.

PyroJoeNEPA
02-02-2015, 06:51 PM
I don't need any more sugar since I started making my coffee with Red Bull instead of water. :rolleyes: