View Full Version : Fast fusing shells

beakman706
01-26-2015, 04:49 PM
Need thoughts on a project. Dave was replacing visco fuse with e-match on canister shells for instant firing. I have a ton of ball shells I got from a friend a couple of years ago. I was thinking about using Daves technique on these. Using an a poke in the ball shell removing the visco fuse and replacing it with fast fuse instead of e-match. Then fusing them together with fast fuse as we would on a 30 shot rack I know it would a time consuming task but I'll retiring from the firehouse this year so I will have plenty of time to mess with it. Any thoughts or ideas

PGH_Pyro
01-26-2015, 05:35 PM
if i'm reading that correctly, the shells would all go up pretty fast and it'd be a blur . if it's a bit slower than all at once, it's more of a finale-finale kind of tempo . (unless you're going for the san diego-style all at once / all-fire kind of thing ! lol )
i defer to dave on that but, that's my impression .

beakman706
01-26-2015, 06:07 PM
I could use Perfect Fuse that would slow it down some. Or how mixing the fuses. 1/2 quick and 1/2 perfect?

hatsgoods
01-26-2015, 06:25 PM
i would say use perfect fuse for the fuse to the shell and 1 second foot fuse to tie them together is what i would do.

beakman706
01-26-2015, 06:33 PM
I will give that a try. That's for the advice hatsgoods

beakman706
01-26-2015, 06:37 PM
Thanks PGH, I didn't think of it as a finale-finale. That might be something to tinker with!!!

hatsgoods
01-26-2015, 07:24 PM
yea i did this before and it was kick butt finale rhythm

PyroManiacs
01-26-2015, 07:34 PM
i would say use perfect fuse for the fuse to the shell and 1 second foot fuse to tie them together is what i would do.

Agreed.... thats a good "tempo".

Playingwithfire85
01-26-2015, 11:56 PM
I did that for my 2014 show with 60 black box ball shells. They went extremely quick and didn't look as good as I expected. It's one my youtube about half way through the show. They blended together so much it just blurred.

jknepp1954
01-27-2015, 09:51 AM
I use to use the slow sticky match to fuse consumer shells - worked perfectly - but now don't have access to it.
So i tried the gray quick fuse - way too fast. then tried the pink perfect fuse - too slow IMO.
is there fuse that is in between the quick and perfect?

beakman706
01-27-2015, 10:09 AM
I thought maybe leaving the fuse on 1/3 of the shells then 1/3 quick fuse and 1/3 perfect fuse on the rest. This would be a good video project for dave to do this year. Im sure there is something we can come up with that is between quick and perfect fuse.

mguerra
01-27-2015, 11:38 AM
There is one second per foot and three second per foot available from firingsystems.us
Try these without changing the shell fuse at all. You can get various tempos this way.

PGH_Pyro
01-27-2015, 02:29 PM
Joyce --- there is a purple colored fast-ish fuse available that might be your speed , so to speak ...

beakman706
01-27-2015, 02:31 PM
I have some 3' per sec fuse. I'll get some 1' per and do some experiments. Thanks for the info

Rick_In_Tampa
06-09-2016, 11:19 AM
Apologies in advance for re-posting the same question I just posted in another thread, but I think it's more appropriate in this thread.

I was planning on using some 1/4 sec per foot fuse to wire a 36 shot mortar rack for the finale. Preceding the 36 shot rack will be 4 x 25 shot mortar crates. My thought is to start with 2 sec ft. fuse for the first two crates, 3/4 sec per ft. for the second two crates, and as I stated above, 1/4 sec per ft. for the 36 shot rack.

My concern is that the 1/4 sec per ft. paper fuse is going to burn way too fast and not ignite the mortars. My pyro buddy said it burns super hot, so it won't be a problem. Someone else mentioned taping over the connections to "hold in" the fire to ensure the mortar visco ignites. Any thoughts and/or suggestions on how to do this right would be greatly appreciated.

ilovecrackle
06-09-2016, 12:39 PM
Need thoughts on a project. Dave was replacing visco fuse with e-match on canister shells for instant firing. I have a ton of ball shells I got from a friend a couple of years ago. I was thinking about using Daves technique on these. Using an a poke in the ball shell removing the visco fuse and replacing it with fast fuse instead of e-match. Then fusing them together with fast fuse as we would on a 30 shot rack I know it would a time consuming task but I'll retiring from the firehouse this year so I will have plenty of time to mess with it. Any thoughts or ideas

I did this two years ago. I had three 24 shot angled racks loaded with canister shells spread out about 60 feet apart. I replaced the fuses on the shells with 1/2 sec/ft visco and ran QM across the top.
Needless to say, It looked like a massive salute with color tips. lol
I would recomend a slower leader fuse like many have suggested already here, unless your going for the massive salute with color tips look. :p

ilovecrackle
06-09-2016, 12:47 PM
Apologies in advance for re-posting the same question I just posted in another thread, but I think it's more appropriate in this thread.

I was planning on using some 1/4 sec per foot fuse to wire a 36 shot mortar rack for the finale. Preceding the 36 shot rack will be 4 x 25 shot mortar crates. My thought is to start with 2 sec ft. fuse for the first two crates, 3/4 sec per ft. for the second two crates, and as I stated above, 1/4 sec per ft. for the 36 shot rack.

My concern is that the 1/4 sec per ft. paper fuse is going to burn way too fast and not ignite the mortars. My pyro buddy said it burns super hot, so it won't be a problem. Someone else mentioned taping over the connections to "hold in" the fire to ensure the mortar visco ignites. Any thoughts and/or suggestions on how to do this right would be greatly appreciated.

I don't use that gray 1/4 sec/ft but I do use visco 1/2 sec/ft. I use zip ties and make sure i tape at least 1" of the shells fuse to the leader fuse with 2 zip ties. Then i cover with masking tape. The masking tape is primarily to protect from accidental pre-mature ignition and help keep the fuse dry if you shoot in humid or raining weather.
I have had 100% ignition success using this method.

Rick_In_Tampa
06-10-2016, 12:35 AM
I don't use that gray 1/4 sec/ft but I do use visco 1/2 sec/ft. I use zip ties and make sure i tape at least 1" of the shells fuse to the leader fuse with 2 zip ties. Then i cover with masking tape. The masking tape is primarily to protect from accidental pre-mature ignition and help keep the fuse dry if you shoot in humid or raining weather.
I have had 100% ignition success using this method.

It's VERY hot and humid here in Florida, so I think I'll try the tape this year. Sounds like the best way to go. Thanks for the reply!

Csection
06-10-2016, 09:58 AM
It's VERY hot and humid here in Florida, so I think I'll try the tape this year. Sounds like the best way to go. Thanks for the reply!
Watch this video to see what happens when you use two different types of fuse on the mortars:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnEEAfLC9Sg
That quick fuse will go sooo fast! If that's what you want fine. Also taping over the quick fuse will make it go even faster. See video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwTcJeohoiM
With a 12 shot rack it will light the entire rack in about 1 second.

Rick_In_Tampa
06-10-2016, 11:43 AM
Watch this video to see what happens when you use two different types of fuse on the mortars:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnEEAfLC9Sg
That quick fuse will go sooo fast! If that's what you want fine. Also taping over the quick fuse will make it go even faster. See video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwTcJeohoiM
With a 12 shot rack it will light the entire rack in about 1 second.

Csection - Thanks for the reply and the video links! To clarify, the finale this year will be 4 crates of 100 mortars (25 in each crate) and a separate 36 shot mortar rack. I want the 36 shot fan rack to launch all 36 mortars as close together as possible. That rack is going to have it's own wireless ignitor (cue?), and not be fused in with the other 4 crates. I've never used fast fuse that burns at 1/4 sec per ft. though. So I'm concerned that it might burn too fast and not ignite all the mortars. So I'm looking to hear from someone who has used the 1/4 sec per ft stuff to tell me if it's a good idea or bad idea. It's not going to be much of a finale rack if nothing goes off! Based on the video links you provided, it looks like the fast fuse was taped to the mortar connections. I have no way to tell if it was the 1/4 per sec fuse or maybe something else like 3/4 sec or 1 sec.

After I figure this out, I need to figure out how I'm going to get 1 talon ignitor connected to three fuse runs from the 36 shot rack. I *assume* I can just wrap those three runs around a single piece of fast fuse and tape it up and fire it from the single fuse. Sound logical to you?

I seriously appreciate all the help. Still working my way up in the pyro world. Any tips tricks and suggestions are greatly appreciated!!

Csection
06-10-2016, 12:52 PM
Csection - Thanks for the reply and the video links! To clarify, the finale this year will be 4 crates of 100 mortars (25 in each crate) and a separate 36 shot mortar rack. I want the 36 shot fan rack to launch all 36 mortars as close together as possible. That rack is going to have it's own wireless ignitor (cue?), and not be fused in with the other 4 crates. I've never used fast fuse that burns at 1/4 sec per ft. though. So I'm concerned that it might burn too fast and not ignite all the mortars. So I'm looking to hear from someone who has used the 1/4 sec per ft stuff to tell me if it's a good idea or bad idea. It's not going to be much of a finale rack if nothing goes off! Based on the video links you provided, it looks like the fast fuse was taped to the mortar connections. I have no way to tell if it was the 1/4 per sec fuse or maybe something else like 3/4 sec or 1 sec.

After I figure this out, I need to figure out how I'm going to get 1 talon ignitor connected to three fuse runs from the 36 shot rack. I *assume* I can just wrap those three runs around a single piece of fast fuse and tape it up and fire it from the single fuse. Sound logical to you?

I seriously appreciate all the help. Still working my way up in the pyro world. Any tips tricks and suggestions are greatly appreciated!!
Dave shows the packages if you look closely. It's the gray paper quick fuse made by Big. That stuff will light anything attached to it. I have tested it attached to different viscos. DO NOT use for hand lighting though! Unless you attach piece of slow visco to it.

displayfireworks1
06-10-2016, 01:01 PM
Here is down side of that gray fast fuse, it also lights from any point on the outside of it. If you use it for a finale, one hot spark lands on it , there it goes. That is what I remember about it. I never tested it but I am thinking the fast Visco type fuse may not be as susceptible to side ignition. If I find time I may test both types.

Csection
06-10-2016, 02:37 PM
Here is down side of that gray fast fuse, it also lights from any point on the outside of it. If you use it for a finale, one hot spark lands on it , there it goes. That is what I remember about it. I never tested it but I am thinking the fast Visco type fuse may not be as susceptible to side ignition. If I find time I may test both types.
That would be a great test. I think we'd all like to see that one.
He was talking about enclosing it with tape. I was trying to point out if he encloses that quick fuse, it will burn faster than it already does.

Csection
06-10-2016, 02:43 PM
I use to use the slow sticky match to fuse consumer shells - worked perfectly - but now don't have access to it.
So i tried the gray quick fuse - way too fast. then tried the pink perfect fuse - too slow IMO.
is there fuse that is in between the quick and perfect?
I have some sticky match and was wondering about using it for shells. How do you attach it to the cans? Also how do you match it?

displayfireworks1
06-10-2016, 02:49 PM
When you say "Match It" do you mean with electric match?

Csection
06-10-2016, 03:03 PM
When you say "Match It" do you mean with electric match?

Yes! I was referring to how to start it and how to chain it. Will that stuff light visco if it is placed on top of it?

JoeR
06-10-2016, 04:52 PM

Unless you are going for precision timing, I would not waste the time pulling any fuse out of the lift charge. My thinking on it is that most all leaders should have close to the same burn time, unless you are shooting a lot of different brands. But assuming you are shooting all the same brand shells, your back-times should be pretty close, so you could do your timing adjustments on your chains in the fuse running along the top of the tubes. Maybe shoot a few chains with some slower paced fuse, and then shoot a few more chains with the faster paced fuse for a final, cleaner volley.

Ultimately, this is just my $.02, so do what you feel is best for your desired effect. Sometimes you will really over-think your setup, and cause extra work for yourself, and arrive at the same place you would using a different method. Just take mental notes on what you do, and see how it works out. In the future, you reflect on what you have done in the past and make adjustments accordingly.

Good luck!!!

JoeR
06-10-2016, 05:00 PM
Yes! I was referring to how to start it and how to chain it. Will that stuff light visco if it is placed on top of it?

An e-match has the ability to light visco, but I do not depend on that for ignition. I usually use a piece of QM to link the e-match to the visco style fuse, more for peace of mind.

E-match receptacles off of 1.3 shells work great for this sort of thing. I usually snip a few off of the shells that are being hand-fired and re-use them on little things like this if the shoot I am on has them to use.

Csection
06-10-2016, 08:20 PM
An e-match has the ability to light visco, but I do not depend on that for ignition. I usually use a piece of QM to link the e-match to the visco style fuse, more for peace of mind.

E-match receptacles off of 1.3 shells work great for this sort of thing. I usually snip a few off of the shells that are being hand-fired and re-use them on little things like this if the shoot I am on has them to use.
I'm sorry! I did not make this clear. When I asked about matching, Dave was correct I was referring to e-matching one end, but I was also trying to get JKnepp to explain the technique of using "Sticky Match" on the shells.
I bought some sticky match and was wondering if I could use it to chain shells together. Do you just lay the sticky match on top of the shell's visco or is there another way? Just looking for new ideas. I know it works on lance, but there has to be other ways to use this stuff. It is pretty aggressive burning. I only have the medium speed though, I don't have the slow version(Maybe it's the same).

Csection
06-10-2016, 09:23 PM
I've got another question for the pro's out there.
Have any of you tried to put the paper piping onto the fuse of consumer shells, not the leader fuse?
I'm wondering how much that would speed up the burn time of the shell fuse?

displayfireworks1
06-10-2016, 09:58 PM
This guy has more questions than Columbo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yg5RgI2GeKk
Wait maybe he does not even know who Columbo is. LOL
Someone in Ohio needs to help show him the ropes how things are done.

Csection
06-10-2016, 10:16 PM
This guy has more questions than Columbo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yg5RgI2GeKk
Wait maybe he does not even know who Columbo is. LOL
Someone in Ohio needs to help show him the ropes how things are done.
Hey! I know who Columbo was. He discovered America right? I was even around when the "Ropa Dope" was invented. You remember that one? Were you still in puberty then?
Just funnin ya, Dave! You left your guard down for that one!

displayfireworks1
06-10-2016, 10:59 PM
People are answering your questions, so that is nice. You don't necessarily have to be part of a fireworks club, are you networking with other fireworks enthusiast that live near you? That helps understand some of these things

Rick_In_Tampa
06-10-2016, 11:23 PM
That would be a great test. I think we'd all like to see that one.
He was talking about enclosing it with tape. I was trying to point out if he encloses that quick fuse, it will burn faster than it already does.

I don't care how fast it burns, as long as it lights all the mortars along the way.

Csection
06-11-2016, 10:34 AM
People are answering your questions, so that is nice. You don't necessarily have to be part of a fireworks club, are you networking with other fireworks enthusiast that live near you? That helps understand some of these things
I have been a member of a club for a few years. I have been shooting fireworks for many years. Mostly hand lighting, but I have a Cobra and have used it too.
My question was related to pyromusical timing. I have Cobra Show Creator and am constantly looking to improve the timing for that reason.