PDA

View Full Version : Display fireworks near airports?

Pyro k
01-16-2015, 10:43 AM
I'm doing some research on a possible shoot sight near our county airport. However, I can't find any regulations about displays near them. I would think there is some kind of rule about it? Do I just have to keep my distance per " of shell to their property line?:confused:

PyroJoeNEPA
01-16-2015, 11:18 AM
I don't have a direct answer for you on that but I would suggest that you contact your regional FAA office for information & see what they can tell you.
We had to temporarily stop a commercial show I worked on a couple years ago because the Life Flight helicopter was responding to a call on a traffic accident & had to land in a nearby field. There was no airport nearby so it is not relevant to the question you asked--but it is one of those things that you don't think about but need to be aware of! The call to stop & restart the show came from the EMS team to the Fire Chief to the Lead Shooter. That was one of the benefits of shooting an efired show with the Fire One system. Instant stop & restart.

displayfireworks1
01-16-2015, 11:41 AM
Here is the answer to your question.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rc5xHnprH7U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RC0_Y-8L9VA
Get the cell phone number of the pilot coming in at 9:30pm tell him to send you a text when he gets close and start the show so everyone can see when he lands. Announcement" Ladies and gentleman if you look to your left we have a special arrangement for a fireworks display as we approach the airport". Then I'll have "Fly Delta" in lance work. That's how you do an airport display.

mguerra
01-16-2015, 02:12 PM
I am a pilot and have this information. For private aircraft, we approach the airport 1,000 feet above ground level (AGL).
We fly adjacent to the runway about 1/4 mile out, pass the end of the runway for about 1/4 mile, turn 90 degrees and descend to about 500 feet, then turn 90 degrees on to the runway centerline, descend and land. This is called flying downwind, base, and final. This is practical information. I don't know what the FAA says about fireworks and airports. My preference as a pilot would be that no fireworks be launched within 1/2 to 3/4 mile from the airport. I would not want the risk of an impact nor the distraction. I suspect there are regs on this and will check it out. The thought of a shell blowing through the thin aluminum of my wing in to my fuel tank is not desireable. I do admit it would be cool to see fireworks in the air from the airplane... at a safe distance! Before shooting near an airport I suggest you call the airport manager and the FAA for guidelines.

displayfireworks1
01-17-2015, 01:17 AM
I remember years ago I did a fireworks display near Paramus New Jersey, it was near an airport. The customer ask me if I was going to call the airport to tell them I was shooting fireworks. I was thinking I drove all the way from Pittsburgh , it is July 4th , do I need to tell the airport I am shooting fireworks. What if I tell them and they say no. I never made the call. I don't know if fireworks go that dam high. I can understand if you can see the runway. I am sure there a rule somewhere. At the time I was more worried about driving around with explosives close to New York City more than the airport.