PDA

View Full Version : Electric Match (Igniters)

displayfireworks1
01-14-2015, 10:50 PM
Electric Match
I want everyone to know I received an inquiry from someone outside of the usual pyrotechnic circle of people on the electric match issue. Apparently some of the discussion about the sensitivity of electric match and associated accidents has caught the attention of developers. They have been following the discussion and videos. The little they did tell me is they are developing a composite plastic on a material they already hold a patent on. This material is not sensitive to shock and no copper is used. We will talk on conference call again in the near future and I will try to release more information if it is ok with them. They admit they know a lot about this issue but very little about how fireworks displays are set up. This is mostly what we discussed. The one thing I told them to keep in mind is they are competing with a product that cost less than one dollar each. Their response was what they are developing is reusable.

PyroJW
01-14-2015, 11:21 PM
Wow that all sounds great! I am very interested to see this product.

Playingwithfire85
01-15-2015, 12:52 AM
Sounds great! What comes to mind is whether they are going to be bridgeless igniters which is nothing new.

Deflagrated
01-26-2015, 05:01 PM
Hello Derrick,
I found another important subject here you will eventually come across. Display1 has several great videos in regards to igniters, and my advice is to watch them all. You should have an in depth working knowledge of squibs, so do some studying. Fortunately I've never had an issue using them, but understand how they could produce problems. There are a variety of them on the market for sure. A true friction resistant igniter that works effectively could be an advance in the industry. I would not mind paying a little extra provided they fire reliably, and produce a healthy spit. Improper handling of igniters for me is the primary concern more so than the igniters themselves. You will use plenty of them. My thoughts are to treat all igniters very gently as a fireworks device that has the potential to be overly sensitive, or in other words simply never trust them. Out of a thousand it only takes 1 to be a little touchy, and you never know. Laying that squibbed shell down nice and easy might be best practice rather than dropping it back into the case, or tube. There's several things to consider, so we will talk on it some later. Give me a call. Thanks

displayfireworks1
03-07-2015, 09:06 PM
I see the group that contacted me has proceeded to the introduction stage. You can see some of the properties I discussed in my post from Jan 14th. They released this video today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvyCWK0gQ8o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeskMLwtcFU