PDA

View Full Version : Refusing cakes

spanks_4
01-12-2015, 11:38 AM
I know I saw a video of someone doing this, but I can't find it.

I have a set of the pyro pokes coming in and want to replace all of the slow fuse with fast fuse.

ras1986
01-12-2015, 02:35 PM
Look under the project video section on pyrotalk.com. I think it labeled making cakes faster with fast fuse

ras1986
01-12-2015, 02:38 PM
Here it is.
http://www.pyrotalk.com/fireworks-cake-made-faster2.php

spanks_4
01-12-2015, 03:16 PM
It was Dewey that posted it actually. Someone just sent it too me https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6I6teE-X5A

PGH_Pyro
01-12-2015, 07:32 PM
do it outdoors to be safe is my only 2 cents.

spanks_4
01-13-2015, 08:34 AM
I was definitely going to. I have a nice back patio that I can setup a table, crank the stereo, and go to work on. I know things can happen even when they're not supposed to and I know it is dangerous, but the proper tools make it a little safer.

mguerra
01-13-2015, 11:32 AM
If you re fuse a cake with fast paper fuse, DO NOT hand light it!!! It will fire in less than 1 second. E fire only. If it does not fire, you can re fuse it again with slow fuse to hand light it, or use fast paper and efire again. Of course after waiting at least 30 minutes before re fusing. This is a great technique. I either use an ematch, an imatch, or fast paper fuse plus a clip igniter on all my 1.4 cakes. It really helps you pace your show.

PyroJoeNEPA
01-13-2015, 12:13 PM
It was Dewey that posted it actually. Someone just sent it too me https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6I6teE-X5A

I think it is funny that one of the guys from "the other site" where their policy is absolutely no discussion on topics such as refusing cakes--would make & post a you tube video on how to do it! Double Standard?

PGH_Pyro
01-13-2015, 12:47 PM
cake surgery, lol .

spanks_4
01-13-2015, 01:03 PM
I was going with the normal type fuse not the paper fuse, but idk if it really matters because either will fire super fast!

Definitely going to e-fire the entire show though.

displayfireworks1
01-13-2015, 09:45 PM
At PyroJoe
Tell him to come to pyrotalk forums, we can talk about fusing, making fireworks etc. I welcome everyone from that site to come over to pyrotalk . Peer pressure is for high school students not grown men. All of that twisted philosophy is holding the hobby back. Its unfortunate that some good people let it influence them.
Now that I see my fast fusing video I am getting an idea to e-ematch each tube on a cake and all fire it. LOL

PGH_Pyro
01-13-2015, 09:51 PM
now there's an idea, Dave !

Playingwithfire85
01-14-2015, 04:27 AM
That's funny Dave because after I watched that video earlier I actually cut the bottom half of the fancy paper on my new UV Brand 9 shot to see how it was fused so I could e-fire.

PyroManiacs
01-14-2015, 08:23 AM
Before I joined the forums here... I actually did some cake dissections

I would literally take the wrappings off, cut the support wire/tape and starting from the first tube I would cut the fuse to all the tubes and then take them apart from each other and refuse them with visco so I can use them one at a time.

Not knowing at the time though that it would have been considered 1.3 for doing that. Whoops, lol.

PyroJoeNEPA
01-14-2015, 11:27 AM
Before I joined the forums here... I actually did some cake dissections

I would literally take the wrappings off, cut the support wire/tape and starting from the first tube I would cut the fuse to all the tubes and then take them apart from each other and refuse them with visco so I can use them one at a time.

Not knowing at the time though that it would have been considered 1.3 for doing that. Whoops, lol.

Probably the two most "dissected" cakes out there are the Red Razzle & Silver Razzle. Best source of small comets either shot one at a time or in groups. They make great "mini 5 shot all at once" fans! Ematch in one tube, grey paper fuse [or black match] in the rest covered with foil tape. Look great!
Aquarian now has the single tubes of their cake in a "2 pack" --don't need to cut that one apart any more.
Didn't mean to segue from the OP on fast fusing the entire cake--but there is a lot that can be done with a little creativity. [And, yes, it becomes 1.3 when you modify it---boo hoo!!!].

PyroJoeNEPA
01-14-2015, 11:47 AM
At PyroJoe
Tell him to come to pyrotalk forums, we can talk about fusing, making fireworks etc. I welcome everyone from that site to come over to pyrotalk . Peer pressure is for high school students not grown men. All of that twisted philosophy is holding the hobby back. Its unfortunate that some good people let it influence them.

I hear you Dave, but since I don't know sign language I am not going to waste my time talking to "deaf ears" over there about it. The hypocrisy that they all [or many of them ] do the things they say not to do & don't want to discuss is ridiculous. It is ok for them to have their forum rules just you have your forum rules--but they shouldn't be oppressive towards you and your site just because there is a disagreement. It is unfortunate that a lot of useable information is withheld from open discussion...but then if anyone does a little Google-ing they will discover this place!
Personally, I have met & become friends with many great Pyros from being on here. Thank You for providing the platform that allowed that to happen.

NWPA
01-14-2015, 12:24 PM
This transition from class c to class b by changing the fuse is news to me. Will that apply to all fireworks? If I pulled the paper fuse out of a 1-1/2" firecracker and replaced it with visco [not that I would do that], but will the same outcome then take place? I continually am enlightened on this site. Also when did cakes come on the scene anyway? Used to be 3, 5, 9 shot repeaters.

spanks_4
01-14-2015, 01:11 PM
I'm curious about the same thing as NWPA.... All I want to do is poke a hole, insert fast fuse, clip the slow fuse even with tube, and have instant ignition!

I really didn't have any timing issues with my show for new years, but it would have been a little more care free to hit the button and gone!

NWPA
01-14-2015, 02:19 PM
Now that I'm thinking about this, Way back when, I would glue 6 or 8, 9 shot comet repeaters on a board and leaving one lead visco in place, replaced all the other fuses with quarry cord [early fast fuse] and it was pretty impressive. So this is nothing new anyway. Just recalling I guess.

PyroJoeNEPA
01-14-2015, 03:12 PM
This transition from class c to class b by changing the fuse is news to me. Will that apply to all fireworks? If I pulled the paper fuse out of a 1-1/2" firecracker and replaced it with visco [not that I would do that], but will the same outcome then take place? I continually am enlightened on this site. Also when did cakes come on the scene anyway? Used to be 3, 5, 9 shot repeaters.
I started looking through the "Orange Book" to see if I could find the reference on that___got tired looking! I know there is something on it & will look further later. Here is a link to the ATF Orange Book if you want to get bored:
www.atf.gov/files/publications/download/p/atf-p-5400-7.pdf
I looked on the CPSC site also--but that is a real nightmare--worse than the obamacare book!!!

Maybe Joyce can chime in on when the cakes as we know them came on the market & the rating of "200 gram" & "500 gram".

mguerra
01-14-2015, 06:33 PM
I bounce back and forth between the two forums, there is a lot of good info on both. As far as safety, this stuff is inherently dangerous. We cannot eliminate risk. We can try to be a safe as possible using common sense, known principles and practices, and other peoples accidents, however. I will be the devils advocate for a moment and say a lot of guys over at PU are concerned that people with very little knowledge and experience might try stuff that can get them, or worse, someone else, hurt. And sometimes they get very "enthusiastic" when correcting or warning people. I just figure we should all try to learn as much as possible from every source possible to be safe and still have fun. I have a Texas Pyro license and ATF type 54 because of this forum. And I learn a lot from very experienced people over at PU. So let's all keep learning and having fun, and keep safety the top priority also. PU and PT are both good resources!

spanks_4
01-14-2015, 07:01 PM
I just want to be able to make my stuff ignite as soon as I hit the button without big brother telling me that fuse is now too dangerous for the average person.

I really have no use for an atf license because I don't have anywhere to shoot 1.3G stuff and probably never will, but it looks like I might want to start figuring out how to get it. Anyone have suggestions on cheap/light/very portable atf approved boxes? Funny only thing I will ever have in it is fuse unless I start going all I-match if the price comes down.

PyroJoeNEPA
01-14-2015, 07:42 PM
"The Sky is Falling" !!!! This whole shebang about the fuse is blown way out of proportion. Nothing new has happened: ATF recently put out a newsletter & someone got a cut & paste panic on Visco fuse going on...over reacted & now everyone is having Visco Anxiety.
Relax everybody. You will still be able to buy Visco & the paper fuse is not going away either!
Spanks_4 you don't need to worry about storage for fuse [at least not yet!] unless you are storing Quick Match or Sticky Match. And Talon style ignitors don't require storage either. Also, now the "new" "I-matches" are out & a much better option to talons since they don't have the nichrome bridge wire to break or heat up.
I hope this helps.

spanks_4
01-14-2015, 07:48 PM
I'm worried about the fuse stuff yes, but not to the point some are. I have no intention of shooting 1.3 stuff so I shouldn't have any issues with ATF peoples when I do my show even if it is around 40 cases worth of stuff hehe...

How are the I-match failure rates? I would have gone that route instead of talons, but when I can get 200 talons for $110 shipped or 200 I-match for over $200 I'm going with the talons.