PDA

View Full Version : Thunder King in consumer fireworks

RetroPyro101
01-11-2015, 03:02 AM
So im searching youtube for firework videos like always lol and i come across this video where a kid has a firework called Sammys Best.
He said it was a thunder king and i was very confused because i thought u can only get thunder kings in the 1.3 category. The video was posted on August 9, 2014. So im just wondering how this is possible and if its even legal if so where do i get some. Any info would be great.

This is not what it looked like but it looked very similar

displayfireworks1
01-11-2015, 11:30 AM
A milder form of 1.3 fireworks makes it into United States all the time. It is usually done intentionally by an importer in hopes of making it through customs. It will falsely carry a 1.4 label. You hear people refer to these as "Overloads". Frequently sold in "Mom and Pops" type fireworks stores, Indian Reservations or tents. Using the example in the picture, those are single tubes from a 1.3 Thunder King made into single shot devices.
A major fireworks retail outlet will usually not stock these items. I can find them pretty quick if I am in a store, the labels look different and they are usually more expensive than similar items. Everyone thinks it is the ATF or CPSC that is looking for these items. My source on this subject told me very few fireworks containers coming into United States are actually searched. I am finding out that other people in the fireworks business look for these in competitor stores and call the ATF and CPSC. One of them told me they send video and call the ATF and CPSC when they find them in a competitors store. They also told me the ATF and CPSC does not do anything about it.
The Chinese are use to not following "Truth in Labeling" , they see all of these rules as some United States bullshit. They will write whatever you want on the label I heard. If the load gets impounded they already got paid. If the load get through customs, there is big money to be made selling them to eager United States fireworks enthusiast. It also gives the Mom and Pop store a competitive edge in the market. Major fireworks retailers see the Mom and Pop as part of their competitive problem. For example if someone sold overloaded fireworks at the retail level, you would definitely draw all the customers to their store.
My only complaint with overloads is sometimes they are made poorly. An example would be a overloaded canister artillery shell, the break is overloaded, however the lift is the same. The lift can not push the extra load as high so they break low. They may do this part of the shell may already be preassembled with the legal lift.
There are times I think if they would allow more flash type metals to be used in Consumer Fireworks it would put and end to all of this. If they just sounded a little nicer when they break, I think people would be satisfied.

PyroManiacs
01-11-2015, 04:54 PM
Great explanation.

RetroPyro101
01-11-2015, 05:02 PM
Definitely, thanks for the info Dave.

MIpyro
01-12-2015, 10:12 AM
You are correct Dave, If they broke a little louder and cleaner/nicer we will be more satisfied. That's why when I go to the demos or look at videos, I look to see if the cakes have the little distinct flash when they break because you know those are the "good" ones. I don't bother with those that really don't have the flash in them because you can tell the difference.

displayfireworks1
01-24-2015, 03:41 PM
This video illustrates what you have in the picture. The video does not show the break in the air. Video is currently unlisted. Do not always believe how a fireworks product is labeled. Usually all that "Special Olympics" stuff is pretty hot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RufLNGH1L6E

bottomshot
01-25-2015, 06:56 PM
You are correct Dave, If they broke a little louder and cleaner/nicer we will be more satisfied. That's why when I go to the demos or look at videos, I look to see if the cakes have the little distinct flash when they break because you know those are the "good" ones. I don't bother with those that really don't have the flash in them because you can tell the difference.

I agree that those cakes can be fun. But, for a show I wouldnt get just flash broke cakes, depending on how much product you put in the air it can be quite distracting on the eyes. Plus there is plenty of nice product out there that isnt flash broke.