PDA

View Full Version : Cherry Bomb Injury or not

displayfireworks1
01-06-2015, 08:01 PM
Cherry Bomb Injury or not
When you read statistical data coming out of hospital emergency rooms as they pertain to fireworks injuries they often list what type or device the patient was injured with. If you listen to this video the patient states he was injured by a "Cherry Bomb". When I listen to him further describe how it happened it sounds like an artillery shell.
Graphic Warning

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JOVuw9tXsI
http://www.nfpa.org/~/media/Images/research%20and%20reports/report%20graphics/2012FireworksInjuries.jpg
I think this video illustrates that doctors while experts in medical matters may not properly identify the type of device a patient was injury with. Most novice users of fireworks may call items something they are not. for example anything round with a fuse may be called a "Cherry Bomb". When the statistic is recorded it will list this injury as a illegal firecracker injury, the reality is it is most likely an artillery shell not properly used.

PGH_Pyro
01-06-2015, 08:10 PM
nice musical soundtrack . yoy .

jknepp1954
01-07-2015, 12:29 AM
should have put a warning - NOT for the faint of heart!

PGH_Pyro
01-08-2015, 02:22 PM
it's good i believe, for would-be pyro-technicians / fireworks enthusiasts to see these photographs to show what can happen, worst case .
graphic enough to stay with you, forever and hopefully, make sure you don't let it happen .

N3OQO
01-08-2015, 10:09 PM
Reminds me of the gruesome drivers ed films from 40 years ago.

PyroJW
01-09-2015, 12:15 AM
This video serves as a good reminder for all of us.

countryboy7978
01-09-2015, 12:53 AM
It looks like this guy was holding the tube while shooting artillery shells and one of them was loaded backward or was a CATO. The slash on his hand seems to correspond with a blowout from the mortar. This was probably a medium powered ball shell because a salute or a good can would have made for a much more devastating injury like the one from the previous post.

I'm far from being a safety nut but I cringe when I see people post videos of themselves holding a mortar. I saw one of a guy shooting a Slayer rocket from a PVC tube like an RPG. For those who have experience with Slayers know they they frequently went off prematurely. That would have made for a life changing injury had it gone off in the PVC pipe.

displayfireworks1
01-09-2015, 10:35 PM
I posted it not to illustrate the injury but rather to illustrate the apparent error in reporting the injury. The physician posted the video as a "Cherry Bomb" injury. From the conversation it sounds like an artillery shell injury. When we see statistics, we have to question their correctness in reporting the proper device to blame for the injury. People not versed in fireworks terminology frequently call things names they are not.
At N30Q0
Here is the video you are talking about. This played in high schools well into the middle 70's. It was made in 1959. This was the most popular of the bunch. "Signal 30"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VKOoenqbOk

PGH_Pyro
01-11-2015, 12:10 AM
eerie video ... eerie scratchy audio .
it IS very convincing by showing the graphic reality .