PDA

View Full Version : Caution!! Exaclibur firework users

FireworkFanatic505
01-01-2015, 10:25 PM
I don't know if Excalibur users already know but Excalibur can be a potential harm to you or anyone in your display area due to low and big breaks yesterday I had to treat my cousin for 2nd degree burns due to the breaks being so low! PLEASE EXCERCISE CAUTION WHEN USING EXCALIBUR!!!

PGH_Pyro
01-02-2015, 02:17 AM
that is a very very unusual low break problem. ive never seen them break that low as to cause burns.

Playingwithfire85
01-02-2015, 04:58 AM
I had a few break low last night but it was my fault because I did not check to make sure it seated in the mortar. It appears as though the recent HDPE that comes with them get tighter as they get towards the bottom so you gotta push them in after shooting a few shells and building up gunk.

jknepp1954
01-02-2015, 10:47 AM
agree with rest - highly unusual for low breaks for excals. not going to say it never happens - but if it does - probably caused by not sitting down properly in tube, or using the wrong tube for them, or like playing with fire said.
Or if you use a 2" tube - you will have 100% low breaks....
and then use at least 150' safety zone - or more if you have the room.

spanks_4
01-02-2015, 10:57 AM
Any issues with the standard hdpe piping that most people use for mortar racks? I think it's 1.75" or something

PyroJoeNEPA
01-02-2015, 11:52 AM
Evidently you were not observing safe minimum distance for your setup??? Like Joyce mentioned above--150 feet is safe. Technically, distance is calculated at 75 feet per inch of shell, so 131 feet for a 1.75" class c shell. I know--everybody shoots them off in their back yards & driveways--but that doesn't make it safe--or right!
It is odd for a better quality shell like an Excal to break low--unless it was not seated properly in the tube.
Sorry to hear your cousin was injured& I hope he recovers quickly. Again, just because it is not 1.3 "pro" stuff does not mean it doesn't deserve the highest respect & safety practices. It is very easy to become "comfortable" when you have been shooting pyro for any amount of time. Safety glasses, proper clothing, safe distances--are all about having a smile at the end of the show--not a trip to the emergency room!

mguerra
01-04-2015, 11:06 AM
On another forum it was noted that some Excalibur shells were a tight fit in some tubes. If you just dropped the shell in it might not hit bottom. That will yield a low break. First, make sure there is no debris in the tube from a previous shot. Excals often leave the wrapper behind when they lift. Second, if necessary push the shell to the bottom of the tube with a stick. Some Excals have a loose wrapper that stops the shell from sliding freely down the tube. If so, remove the wrapper.

countryboy7978
01-04-2015, 12:42 PM
I have shot many Excalibur and similar shells and the only time I can't seem to recall a single malfunction that wasn't related to user error. The way I see it is that anyone in the firing zone should be aware that they may be injured. Wear safety glasses or some glasses at least to protect your eyes. 2nd degree burns hurt but they heal. I'm not one that subscribes to NFPA standards for consumer fireworks but common sense should prevail here. Children shouldn't be there and people not participating in the shooting shouldn't be there. It's the shooters responsibility to make sure everything is clear before you light the fuse. Don't go blaming the firework.

Dion
02-11-2015, 11:36 PM
I myself never seen low breaks from the EXCAL'S unless like the others said the shell wasn't bottomed or was reloaded without clearing the tube of debris. Ball shells only leave the disc from the bottom of there lift cups(most of the time) but the cans will leave there wrapper sleeves behind and must clear your tubes when reloading even if your rushing in the heat of battle! Hint= If you are short on guns and are going to be rushing around and reloading then prep your shells by removing the outer wrapper. This way all you will have left in the tube is a disc and you can just drop and light(Assuming you are using DR11 were jamming is not a issue).

CafreakinBOOM
05-16-2015, 12:14 PM
Well Hello FIREWORldSFANATIC.

" I personally dont like your statement,
"I don't know if Excalibur users already know but Excalibur can be a potential harm to you or anyone in your display area due to low and big breaks"

I am an EXCALIBUR user and I have never had that problem. The reason they are loud coming out of the tube is because they get up there.

What is your display area? DID YOU HAVE YOUR AUDIENCE WITH THEIR CHINS WHERE THEIR FOREHEADS SHOULD BE? " LOOKING STRAIGHT UP " ???????????

Yup, I think you did.

Hey Fireworldf......bro you cant tell us PyrO's that your cousin got a souvenir battle scar do to breaks being low. Breaks being low more than once..........Ahhh....:p thats gonna

happen to you with any shell you load wrong, or when you have your audience chin up high, cause they are too close. More unbelievable is that he has more than one burn.

Hey Bro Please dont light anymore till you watch these videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqVoYBOqjhU

Wait before you comment :p;) You did not try recreating ToRiToS right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvKBS91BI9I

FireworkFanatic Before you comment please choose your words wisely. You Do KNOW that EXCALIBUR is the Best firework Shell Kit available to us PYROS (consumer)

World Class Fireworks has been looking out for us, by giving us better mortar tubes, and consistent quality. Dont forget they even got our Pyro-Leader (Dave) To make us a video.

Watch the video and please rephrase your comment. Its NOT PYROlike.

PLEASE ENJOY AND COMMENT, and next time RUN.......:cool:

"I hope you and your cousin are ok. cause all you PYROs are my peeps" (people)

CafreakinBOOM

BAD311
06-21-2015, 06:21 PM
Hey all, I bought a 6 pack case of Excals and had 120 pieces of HDPE 1.91" pipe cut to 15" lengths. I'm waiting to get my plugs in this week from Midwest... I keep hearing about low breaks and I'm worried the 2" 1.91" HDPE will cause low breaks... I compared the 2" pipe I had custom cut to the pipe that came with shells and it's exactly the same diameter... The case came with about a 14" pipe, mine's 15.25" and I'll install a 1.5" plug.

I'm hoping I'll be fine?

The thing I noticed is that on a set of 24 shells that came from an assortment by World Class Fireworks is that the kit came with 4 fiberglass tubes... I could not get ONE Excalibur shell down the tube... Not one would fit without being forced in... I will not be using those tubes for the Excals... I'll use them on other shells.

Dion
06-21-2015, 08:26 PM
Hey all, I bought a 6 pack case of Excals and had 120 pieces of HDPE 1.91" pipe cut to 15" lengths. I'm waiting to get my plugs in this week from Midwest... I keep hearing about low breaks and I'm worried the 2" 1.91" HDPE will cause low breaks... I compared the 2" pipe I had custom cut to the pipe that came with shells and it's exactly the same diameter... The case came with about a 14" pipe, mine's 15.25" and I'll install a 1.5" plug.

I'm hoping I'll be fine?

The thing I noticed is that on a set of 24 shells that came from an assortment by World Class Fireworks is that the kit came with 4 fiberglass tubes... I could not get ONE Excalibur shell down the tube... Not one would fit without being forced in... I will not be using those tubes for the Excals... I'll use them on other shells.

The tubes you got made are Perfect for those shells. I have Pyro boom Racks with 12" tubes and my Excal's go to the moon! My racks have the same pipe you have in 12" lengths. Just make sure that if you shoot and reload that you clear the tube of debris before reloading. A lot of can shells will leave there wrapper sleeve behind in the tube once they lift. Good luck fire smart! :)

matandch
06-21-2015, 10:55 PM
Evidently you were not observing safe minimum distance for your setup??? Like Joyce mentioned above--150 feet is safe. Technically, distance is calculated at 75 feet per inch of shell, so 131 feet for a 1.75" class c shell. I know--everybody shoots them off in their back yards & driveways--but that doesn't make it safe--or right!

When I was Safety Director for the CJ's I used 70' per inch of shell with a minimum default to a 3" shell of 210' no matter if 1.75" consumer shells were used. In other words, the minimum safe distance for a consumer show is 210'.

BAD311
06-23-2015, 02:20 AM
Thanks guys for the info! I also ran my 300' tape from a rod I put in the ground and ran it 150' out in 3 areas where people will sit. They'll all have to sit behind the line or it's all on them at that point.

CafreakinBOOM
06-24-2015, 08:38 PM
I have been using EXCALIBUR for many years. I have had a snug fit maybe once. I recommend you use the tubes that came with the kit.

If all your shells are too snug where they cant reach the bottom, then I would call and get their advice.

I have not ever seen anybody have that issue.

BAD311
06-24-2015, 10:43 PM
I got some weird 24 count prebundled kit a part of some master assortment with 200g and 500g repeaters and they have fiberglass tubes, 4 of them, and not one shell will fit in the fiberglass tubes.

lotsip
07-06-2019, 09:55 PM
After a couple of shells fired from each tube in the kit, my excals wouldn't go all the way to the bottom of the tube unless i pushed them with a stick......I made sure ALL debris was cleared from each tube before i reloaded too!.............what gives? I actually had to push hard with a stick to get the shells to the bottom...........it puzzled me, the tubes were empty,,,,,happened with all of the tubes, so, i just stopped shooting. Any thoughts ?

lotsip
07-06-2019, 09:57 PM
I'm having the tight fit issue with the excals i just bought.......so, clean the tube of debris and push with a stick..........well, i did that, but, it was a tight assed fit, i had to really push.......someone else mentioned removed the paper from the outside of the shell?

PYRODAN
07-06-2019, 10:49 PM
Any issues with the standard hdpe piping that most people use for mortar racks? I think it's 1.75" or something

This might be useful, I have posted this before. My tubes, and most peoples tubes come from https://www.pyroboom.com/

matandch
07-07-2019, 05:20 AM
Tight fitting shells go higher.

krayg
07-07-2019, 07:16 AM
I buy my tubes from mortar supply and I’ve never had a an issue with a shell fitting properly. They always drop freely. I only fire mine once per show and clean them out the next day. However, I always have at least 2 that break low every year. I launch them from a safe distance so they don’t bother me.

patsy
07-07-2019, 01:31 PM
Sorry to hear about your cousin suffering burns hope he heals quickly.
Sometimes mishaps do happen thats why its always good to have a fall out zone. If you and your cousin were hand lighting then chances are you are going to be right in the fall out zone. Even though its hot in the summer months always ware proper attire when hand lighting items. Maybee even purchase welders clothing just for the shoot. I would recommend buying a good mortar rack or 2 that will fit the Excals. This way you can make sure before hand that everything is seated properly.
Always take some extra time to setup. Before hand take a good look around at your surroundings and be mindful of distances etc.

maltpj
07-07-2019, 01:57 PM
I set off 600 this year. Not one problem.