PDA

View Full Version : Hello from the Bayou!

pyrokatie
12-23-2014, 03:32 PM
Hello from the Baton Rouge, LA! I’m an avid (but safe) pyro. I am a performer and director for a fire dance troupe here and am getting more and more into fireworks and special effects. So I am working towards getting my pyro technician license with a goal of having it by October 2015.

I’d consider myself an advanced amateur. I have a 12 que RFRemotech remote fire system and have managed to put together a few backyard shows lately with the pretty good selection of fireworks that are available to consumers here. I was impressed to see you can get 3 inch mortars here no problem. But my true desire is to work with flame effects for stage shows that I can incorporate with dancers from my troupe.

Thanks to Dave for managing this site and the helpful videos, and everyone that has put some good insight into different topics. This is my first post but I troll here frequently. I’ll try and post some of my own projects soon as I progress and learn!

-Katie

PyroManiacs
12-23-2014, 03:36 PM
Welcome to PyroTalk!

displayfireworks1
12-23-2014, 08:43 PM
http://pix.epodunk.com/locatorMaps/la/LA_3249.gif
Thanks for joining the forums, it is nice to have someone with some stage experience. I have been trying to get a stage pyrotechnics person on the forums. Have you considered working for a professional company such as Pyrotecnico? They are located 82 miles from you in New Orleans.

PyroJoeNEPA
12-23-2014, 09:32 PM
Welcome to the Forum Katie. There is SO much you can do on stage with close proximity effects. Check out some of the TSO [Trans Siberian Orchestra] You Tube clips. The flame canons, air bursts, etc. It is not just for football & wrestling events! One of my pyro buddies has a 5 can flame projector that uses Ethanol & various chemicals to get colored flames. It is an awesome effect!

pyrokatie
12-23-2014, 10:11 PM
Thanks for the welcome everyone! I am really looking forward to getting deeper into fire stage arts.

@displayfireworks1 I will be working with Pyrotechnico in the Spring when they offer their training here. I am really really really hoping they let me join their crew so I can get some more experience. I wish there was one sooner though! To get a pyrotech license here you have to apprentice 5 shows and take a test. So I chomping at the bit to find someone or a company to apprentice me. I am considering travelling to the PGI Convention or some other out of state event too. I hope I can provide some input for stage pyro for the forums eventually =)

@PyroJoeNEPA Do you know if he uses manual or DMX control for the flame projectors by chance? Trans Siberian has an excellent show! I haven't seen it in person but have seen several performances online. It really is an art to get the timing right for the effects so I appreciate the heck out of an operator that can pull that off. The materials I use now for our show now is a mix of white gas (camp fuel), ultra pure lamp oil, denatured alcohol, and kevlar on tools that each performer manipulates and dances with. But to incorporate bigger effects for a live audience I have to get my license.

thanks again!

displayfireworks1
12-23-2014, 10:48 PM
I never knew Trans Siberian Orchestra used pyro in the show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yA3X42Mxeh0
At pyrokatie do you have any video of your work?

PyroJW
12-23-2014, 11:52 PM
Welcome aboard! I recently earned my Flame Effects lic. last year.

PyroJoeNEPA
12-24-2014, 02:02 PM
Thanks for the welcome everyone! I am really looking forward to getting deeper into fire stage arts.

@PyroJoeNEPA Do you know if he uses manual or DMX control for the flame projectors by chance? Trans Siberian has an excellent show! I haven't seen it in person but have seen several performances online. It really is an art to get the timing right for the effects so I appreciate the heck out of an operator that can pull that off. The materials I use now for our show now is a mix of white gas (camp fuel), ultra pure lamp oil, denatured alcohol, and kevlar on tools that each performer manipulates and dances with. But to incorporate bigger effects for a live audience I have to get my license.

thanks again!

He uses a stand alone manual system for the flame projectors. I may have some pictures of it in setup & operation. I will look for them & post them if he is ok with it.

pyrokatie
12-29-2014, 11:41 AM
Here we are in the first 30ish seconds of this video. No fireworks or stage effects but a lot of fire! Watch the whole thing if you aren't scared :p

http://youtu.be/6MczHAOyoxs?list=PLGEPs3jlIJWRywKrMeRFj1RSrJ7SnVRf 2

PGH_Pyro
12-29-2014, 01:39 PM
pyrotecnico has greatly branched off into special FX for live concerts/etc
lot of lasers, cryo-jets and etc etc .
don't think Zambelli has done this, yet ...
pyrotecnico does the lasers for big name acts like Justin Timberlake / Justin Bieber and many similar acts ...
the F.D.A. regulates high-powered laser scanners that you see at concerts/etc.
they can't get the beams closer than 6 or so feet above the highest-up person's head , I believe the rule is ... although now, there are weaker powered ones that can be used to scan the audience .