PDA

View Full Version : better instant candle ignition?

ras1986
12-21-2014, 10:41 AM
Hey guys. This is my first post here, what better way to introduce myself than to ask for advise. Ok I have watched dave 4 case of roman candle video probably 10 times. Anyway I have 4 cases of candles in shooting on new years. Other than daves way he showed, does anyone have any other ideas for simultaneous ignition of 600+ candles? This brick of candles will be e fired. Dave, this question is for you, when you set off your 4 cases, approximately how many candles refused to fire?

PGH_Pyro
12-21-2014, 11:38 AM
hit the tops with a flame-thrower

ras1986
12-21-2014, 12:25 PM
Can't use torch. Too many. Want all to light at once with igniter

PGH_Pyro
12-21-2014, 04:10 PM
i have a smaller hand-torch for minor plumbing & jewelry making/etc.
you can adjust the 'focus' of the flame to be broader.
this works well .

Westpapyro
12-21-2014, 04:50 PM
I would use sticky match?
One of Dave's suppliers has it usually, FireArt!

PyroJoeNEPA
12-21-2014, 06:11 PM
We did around 20 cases at once this year at a Crackerjacks shoot. I helped with that project--each case was cut open on the end the fuses were on. Candles were left in the cartons, but duct tape run around them several times. The tops of the packs were scored both directions with a box cutter to open up the packaging & expose the fuses. Then, sticky match was applied along with a large piece of black match harvested from some quick match. Tape an ematch to the top & there you go.
Note: that thing was a bonfire that burned thru the night & was still smouldering the next morning when I was tearing down the sound system. It was insane when it went off---but just kept "burping" balls for a long time after the initial burn.
If you don't have access to stick match or quick match there are other ways to do it: Spray glue [3M spray adhesive] & black powder dusted on the packs will work well, & if you don't have access to the black powder you can use some "Magic whips" zig zagged across the candle ends. Pretty much all of the candles will go--you do need to pat attention to the fact that the tubes/cases will be burning after it is done. Have a water can, extinguisher, etc. nearby. Have fun!!!
Let us know how it turns out.

NWPA
12-22-2014, 02:11 PM
I have done this on a smaller scale [ 1 dozen ] by sprinkling smokeless powder over the tops of taped bundles, it worked well and smokeless powder is more easily obtained in local gun shops. Has a somewhat gentle ignition as opposed to black powder. Whether the cost would be justified for igniting case lots, I don't know.

PGH_Pyro
12-22-2014, 03:41 PM
eureka --- do as my dad used to do for insects in the house --- take hair spray and a lighter and torch it all at once .
:p