PDA

View Full Version : Trying to get permits for fireworks

Melp
12-12-2014, 04:53 PM
Every year I do a new years eve display, all the years previously I was shooting 1.4 so I had no problems. I have gone to both townships near my home and no one can answer my question of do I need a permit or not. When I tell them I will be shooting 1.3 they assume that I am doing it professionally and getting paid to do it. When I explain to them that I am just shooting them for my personal use no one knows what to tell me. They then start quoting the state law of you can shoot the day before the day of and the day after on all national holidays. I even had one fire chief that said just don't get caught. Aggggh If any one has problems getting permits let me know how you solved it. Or is it in michigan that if you are shooting for yourself personally you don't need a permit. :confused:

MIpyro
12-12-2014, 07:38 PM
hahahahah! Man, I have been having the same problem. I have been to a couple townships and get the same answers. Most townships do not know the basics as they do not want to deal with it. I get the same quote too "day before, of and after a major holiday" and I have also been told, just don't get caught..lol! It is a nightmare here in MI as most townships just don't know how to deal with it. I am meeting up with the fellas from the pyro club and I might get a clearer answer there.

displayfireworks1
12-12-2014, 10:55 PM
Right now there are 10 people on pyrouniverse who would love to post comments telling you all sorts of bad stuff to make you feel like all your progress does not mean shit. " You better get that in writing" "The ATF can search your house" "You are going to ruin fireworks in the entire state of Michigan"
I am not going to tell you any of that! I am also going to assume you have limited clearance at your shoot location. You are living in a state that states you can shoot fireworks during major holidays. I am going to tell you to stop calling people. You and these other newly ATF Fireworks licensed people are way ahead of the curve so to speak. You already have the law in your favor, shoot a 1.4 display and add a limited amount of 1.3 cakes, finish with a couple of cases of Thunder Kings. You also want to plan a very short display. Do not shoot any 1.3 fireworks before shoot time. If it was me I would not shoot one thing until midnight, then at midnight fire up the Cobra and shoot the display in less than 10 minutes and never fire another thing past that point. Be respectful of your clearances when choosing product.
Lets play out the pyrouniverse scenario, the police show up. Remember anything that happens past this point, you are now a properly ATF license individual using fireworks for your own personal use to celebrate a holiday. You did it in a responsible manner for a short period and now it is over. Choose the right product for the clearance, do not blast fireworks all night, put on as close to professional display as you can. If you follow all of that, I think you will not have an issue. Finally, buy some fireworks from people that advertise with me.
http://www.saginawtownship.org/images/News_Images/Fireworks_Web.jpg

Melp
12-13-2014, 07:33 PM
Thanks Dave
One of the main reasons I got my license was so that I could buy in bulk. The stuff I bought was just 1.75 ball shells my display will be just like you described.