PDA

View Full Version : Magazine log information

Melp
12-07-2014, 02:45 PM
I recently got my 54 license and approved for my magazine (job box mag). We went over a lot of things on keeping records for the magazine mostly on keeping the receipts and making sure the receipts are dated when you bought the product. I recently bought a case of 1.75 ball shells and have them in my magazine, I also have the receipt for it right in the mag so it would'nt get lost.
Does anyone have examples of a log that they have created for their records or a link to site i can download one at. I always shoot a new years eve display and will be using that case. I want to make sure that I have the paperwork to show when the product was removed and used so that I am compliant on my records.
I know a lot of you have magazines and I am hoping you could send me some examples of the best way or easiest way you keep your records

Thanks in advance

displayfireworks1
12-07-2014, 10:56 PM
Congradulations you are moving along at light speed. You received your ATF Fireworks license, you purchased a Cobra Fireworks Firing System and now you are running bookkeeping on your own explosive magazine.
Give it a few days and if someone does not answer the question, I will get someone to answer it.

Fire Art
12-08-2014, 02:09 PM
Hey Melp, did you ask the company you bought the shells from if they had something to log that? A simple form can be thrown together on the computer pretty easily. I'd send you one of mine but it doesn't have a spot on it for weight, which I am assuming you will need to account for. If you don't get something from someone that has one put together I will try to do one for you.

P.S. Hopefully you got the shells from ACE. LOL ;)

displayfireworks1
12-08-2014, 06:30 PM
I ask one of my peeps to answer this question for you. Here is his response.
The easiest answer is to check the ATF orange book supplemental insert. I'm pretty sure there is an example in there in the 500 section of what they are looking for.
It's important to keep all receipts of purchases for a 5 year span.
The log book I created was based on the ATF example.
It has 5 columns on a spread sheet.
The first column is for the date ( day it's actually picked up)
The second is for product/item name. I simply rewrite the name from the purchase receipt.
The 3rd column is for quantity in (qty in). If it's a case of shells. I write. 1 case then in parentheses the number of shells. For example, for a case of 3 in shells I would write 1 case (72 shells)
The 4th column is quantity activity or, quantity out. In this column. You write the date you used the product AND how many you used. So if you have 72 shells. And used 60. You would write the date used and the number 60.
The 5th column would then be titled Total on hand. So for the example above. If you had 72. Used 60. You would have 12 total on hand for that particularly 3 in case of shells.
I always leave space between each item so it's easier to keep track of each product. It creates a running ledger like a check book.
I also separate the entries by importer. So all IPI items are together. All lynch items are together etc.
Then. Within each importer section. I separate items. For example 3 in shells, 4 in shells, 5 in shells, etc all have their own page
Small cakes have their own page. Large cakes have their own page.
Usually cakes that come 1/1 are considered larger cakes. Cakes that come 4/1 or 6/1, etc. Would be considered your smaller cakes
When the opportunity presents itself I will cover this in a future video. I am not an expert on this but I am going to guess the problems with record keeping are complicated when you take a sealed box of 72 three inch shells and only want to use 10. or all of the product removed for a display are not used and product has to be returned to the magazine.
At FireArt
Thanks for commenting, I believe he is purchasing from Ace Pyro. Just to inform everyone Al aka FireArt on the forums is also part of Ace Pyro in Michigan.
I am curious does your magazine look similar to this?
http://explosivestoragemagazine.com/uploads/Type_3_SLP___22_DAY_BOX_open_singlecutout_grey_cop y.gif

Melp
12-08-2014, 08:54 PM
Thanks Dave and Al

Ill look in the orange book I received at the atf interview. I think I can almost make my own with the answer you gave me in your second response. Ill have my daughter make all the columns on an excel sheet just like in your answer it sounds very complete.
My Magazine is a rigid job box were the locks are inside the lid. The job box has non sparking paint inside and out so the Agent said I didnt need to put plywood lining in the inside of the box.
I believe that I was able to get my license easier because I had the magazine ready to go at the time of my interview. The reason I wanted the Magazine was I didnt want to have to drive a hundred miles in case something didnt fire or got rained out at the last minute. The agent agreed with my thinking and said one of the violations they catch people on is not putting product back into storage that night. I wish I could figure out how to post pictures I would post a bunch of the box and the padlocks.

mguerra
12-09-2014, 12:46 AM
Recordkeeping Requirements
Daily Summary of Magazine Transactions (DSMTs) is a running balance of explosive materials in each magazine, and has the following requirements.
• A complete inventory of your explosive materials is required annually. This inventory shall be entered into the DSMT for inspection purposes.
• DSMTs must be maintained at each magazine or at a central location on the premises (a separate DSMT is required for each magazine).
• The DSMT record should include:
o The manufacturer’s name or brand name;
o The date of receipt or removal;
o The total quantity received in and removed from each magazine during the day; and o The total remaining on hand at the end of the day
• Entries of transactions SHALL be recorded no later than the close of the next business day.
• Records must be retained for no less than 5 years from the transaction date.
• When going out of business, records must be sent to the ATF Out of Business Records Center.
• No entry is required for any day on which no explosive materials are placed into or removed from a magazine.
Storage Variances
Licensees or permittees who wish to use an alternate method or procedure, including alternate magazine construction standards, must submit a request for variance from the regulations. For additional information regarding variance requirements, see ATF’s Variance Request Guidelines.