PDA

View Full Version : Consumer efire and quickfuse

N3OQO
11-12-2014, 09:11 PM
With all the discussions about consumer ematch etc, I have a question. Yes, pressing a button and having a cake fire immediately is very appealing. As soon as I have the opportunity to fire again I'm going to try using a poke to put an inch or so of quickfuse (1/4 sec ft) into a cake with a Red Dragon clipped on it right up against the cake. Who has used/tried this or something similar?

pyrohioman
11-12-2014, 10:02 PM
I practice a lot with grey paper fuse(lights on the side easy) and cheap consumer igniters,(single shot stuff)timing is not bad. Just cutting the paper back on the cake and finding fuse entering lift and clip on tight to cake will speed things up and make more consistent...never know how much fuse is wrapped up in that fancy package:confused:

mguerra
11-13-2014, 09:34 AM
Exactly what pyrohioman said. Grey paper fuse taped right up to the visco where it enters the tube. gives about a one second delay from button push/cue fire to ignition.

Northern Sky
11-13-2014, 11:21 AM
If you are using consumer I-match, use your poke and direct match to the cake. No fuse is needed. Just insert the I-match into the lift of the first mortar of the cake.

mguerra
11-13-2014, 02:49 PM
Sorry N3OQO, I did not read your post carefully. Yes you can REPLACE the visco with fast fuse and clip the igniter right up against the tube. Or just tape fast gray paper fuse to the visco, as I said.
Northern Sky: I think he acknowledged the use of consumer imatch in the lift but was asking about this alternative trick.

PGH_Pyro
11-13-2014, 03:36 PM
N3OQO --- I see what you're saying but do yourself a favor, make things easier & faster to set-up and as N.S. said, get a poke/awl and poke into the tube where the visco is attached(same hole but wiggle it a bit wider to accept your e-match/consumer e-match with shroud still covering the squib head. Then, tape it down & secure with a couple/few pieces of your tape of choice .

mguerra
11-14-2014, 10:46 AM
One thing about using consumer imatch is the expense. It's not cheap. I use it sparingly. On the other hand it is cheap to replace visco with fast fuse (or tape fast fuse to it) and a clip igniter butted right up to the tube. It does not yield instant ignition but it is really fast. If you don't have an ATF license and cannot get inexpensive ematch, this is a good economical option to using expensive imatch.

pyrohioman
11-14-2014, 06:04 PM
Yes direct match is the best but when I test stuff I use cheap clip on ign. and grey fuse. (Under .05ea) Bought up cases of old bj alan ignighters. Hell I'll e-fire a smoke bomb and not feel bad:D

N3OQO
11-14-2014, 08:54 PM
I'm definitely going to try the grey 1/4 sec fuse direct into the lift charge via poke with a dragon igniter right up against the cake. It seems to me the delay will be incredibly small, an inch of fuse is 0.0208 second and then the millisec it takes the igniter to fire the fuse.

mguerra
11-15-2014, 02:21 AM
N3OQO, do a test cake like that. Report back. I bet it will go VERY quick!