PDA

View Full Version : Best 1.4 Canister Shells?

RetroPyro101
11-10-2014, 12:59 AM
Hey, everyone i was just doing some thinking and looking at canister shells and was wondering what was the best 1.4 or consumer canister shell.

magnetic pyro
11-10-2014, 01:47 AM
i would go for the best deal you can get on a case. I go with excals cause i get good prices on a case of them there all 60 gram canisters

MIpyro
11-10-2014, 10:04 AM
there are so many to choose from. Its basically a personal preference. The BIG pro shells and aftermath shells are good, the excals, demon shells, smoke-n-mirrors, just to name a few.

displayfireworks1
11-10-2014, 10:19 AM
I don't think there is a bad canister artillery shell. Many of them look so similar I wonder if the same company is making them all. I am worried about the future of these shells as a consumer item. From what I am seeing the canister artillery shell is still involved in many consumer fireworks accidents. Plus, the American Fireworks Standards Laboratories expects the mortars in the near future to be stronger to at least partially contain an upside down shell. The is probably why Jakes came out with that patented sleeve device on their mortars. If the tube is not stronger the alternative may be to make the shells weaker.
On a side note many countries outside of United States do not permit sell of small reloadable canister shells, but they can buy all those massive firecrackers. LOL Many of these countries require the shell and mortar together as a single unit.
I will link in the standards,
http://www.afsl.org/sites/default/files/AFSL%20Standards%2C%202014-10.pdf
2-1.8.5 The launch tube must be able to withstand at least 2 times the intended number of uses without burnout, blowout, separation from the base, or other malfunction.
2-1.8.6 The launcher tube including its base, packed in a reloadable shell kit must be capable of withstanding the explosion of any individual shell in the kit, without fragmenting, when the shell is inserted in the tube upside down and ignited.
2-1.9.1 Bases must be made of material that will not break or shatter during transportation, handling, or normal operation.
2-1.9.2 Bases must remain firmly attached to the item during transportation, handling, and normal operation.
2-1.9.3 The base or bottom of fireworks devices subject to this Standard must have the minimum horizontal dimensions or the diameter of the base equal to at least one-third of the height of the device including any base but excluding any protruding fuse.
2-1.9.4 The base/tube assembly must not provide a source of ignition during use.
On section 2-1.9.3. On some of these out there the base seems smaller than the standard.

jknepp1954
11-10-2014, 10:55 AM
Kind of hard to say "what is the best"
Boils down to what is accessible in your area and the pricing.
Pro shells, Excals, Demons, extremes, SnM's, CE new canisters, and the list goes on....

Ryan1026
11-10-2014, 01:07 PM
As others have already said, the majority of the canister shells are all good, and very close in performance. As of late, I have been favoring Cutting Edge shells because of the colors. I would also like to try Time Bandit's Torpedoes. They look very colorful as well.... All comes down to preference, and deals. Any 60G canister is sure to please though.

Im with Displayfireworks1, they are all probably made in the same factory. canister shells rock.

mguerra
11-10-2014, 01:08 PM
The ones available and affordable to you are the best ones.

hatsgoods
11-10-2014, 01:52 PM
i would say they are all good but if i would only pick 1 i would say pyro demon

PGH_Pyro
11-10-2014, 02:07 PM
any that are reasonably priced ;)

PyroJoeNEPA
11-10-2014, 03:14 PM
Agree with everyone above. Comes down to what is available & affordable to you.

Wholesale Fireworks
11-10-2014, 03:28 PM
Didn't see our brand mentioned so I just have to throw it out there. AFW Electric Rain 48 shells per case list price $121.93 With wholesale discounts as high as 40% you can pick up a case for as little as $73.16 ($1.52 per shell)

Westpapyro
11-10-2014, 07:00 PM
I had some of those Electric Rain shells from Ray this year, shot them along with some Just for Pros. Will be getting both again. Had a few different 1.75 ball shells to fill in finale. Including some of Ray's more less expensive line ball shells. Ha Ha see ya soon Ray!
Ps. Joyce I want to try some Ar-15 shells.

N3OQO
11-10-2014, 07:05 PM
I've used a few brands. ER's this last year will continue to use them, the difference between brands is not that great at all. I did have a box (6 shell kit) 3 years ago that was a bonus from a chain that had the most powerful breaks in a consumer can I have ever seen, much less set off. I'm rather mystified why their isn't a good consumer salute out there. There has to be a way to do one within the legal limits.

PyroJoeNEPA
11-10-2014, 07:29 PM
There has to be a way to do one within the legal limits.
Key here is "WITHIN THE LEGAL LIMITS". You just can't put that much flash in a 1.4 shell legally & get away with it. [Not saying that I have never seen a salute shell marked 1.4g or that it is never done Ha Ha!!!]

Dion
11-11-2014, 10:03 PM
Key here is "WITHIN THE LEGAL LIMITS". You just can't put that much flash in a 1.4 shell legally & get away with it. [Not saying that I have never seen a salute shell marked 1.4g or that it is never done Ha Ha!!!]

I will second that! HA! HA! HA!

mguerra
11-11-2014, 10:25 PM
I shot some AR-15 and they were really asymmetric, sloppy shaped breaks. More asymmetric than the usual canisters. Electric Rain are pretty good, they don't have as much composition as Excal but they are close.

PyroManiacs
11-15-2014, 10:32 AM
Dave is correct about there not really being a bad can shell... and yes, there IS a fine line between performance/symmetry/saturation/duration of each...

As of last comparison I have done between Excals, Extreme(windmill), Star Spangled Bangers, E-Rains, HD Shells, Pro Shells, Echo in the Ear, Sky Titan and Pyro Demons....

I narrowed it down to two categories which is all I need....

If your asking whats loudest, which is what I have been looking for... Pyro Demons all the way to the sky.
If your asking about quantity, also what I need... Excals all the way to your storage shed.
Also, AR-15s are Excals.

Im sure not everyone is only looking for these two things, but this is what I need and what Ive come up with based on items available around my location.

Of course all this is IN MY OPINION. ;)

I will have to get around to making a comparison video when I have a chance. Not that it would really make a difference anyway because you still dont get the full effect of actually being there.

hatsgoods
11-15-2014, 08:00 PM
HEY @ Pyromaniac1981 : let me know when you do a comparison vid i would love to come and watch and maybe we can just chill out that night or something. let me know u got my email and Facebook so hit me when the time comes, maybe news years we can rock some of the neighbors. he he he :cool: :o :p, oh yea if you can Facebook me your cell, my phone decided to update its self without me noticing and i lost 99.9% of my numbers.

Ryan1026
11-17-2014, 03:32 PM
If your asking whats loudest, which is what I have been looking for... Pyro Demons all the way to the sky.

Because I saw this tip, I ended up purchasing two boxes on Sunday. :) I cant wait to try them!.

Ryan1026
11-17-2014, 03:37 PM
Didn't see our brand mentioned so I just have to throw it out there. AFW Electric Rain 48 shells per case list price $121.93 With wholesale discounts as high as 40% you can pick up a case for as little as $73.16 ($1.52 per shell)

I want to try these, just need to find them around my area (NJ, but shopping NEPA mostly). When the winter ends, I do plan to venture out further. May end up just stopping in WFboom, who knows. Ive done sillier things....

Dion
11-17-2014, 10:59 PM
Excal! Excal!! Excal!!!

PyroManiacs
11-18-2014, 12:42 AM
I want to try these, just need to find them around my area (NJ, but shopping NEPA mostly). When the winter ends, I do plan to venture out further. May end up just stopping in WFboom, who knows. Ive done sillier things....

I Sent you a PM

Wholesale Fireworks
11-18-2014, 12:27 PM
Ryan ....We would love to have you stop out this way. Another option is that we can ship an order for you over to a freight terminal in Easten PA and you can pick them up at the terminal. Like I said we would love to meet you and have you see our facility, but if we can save you some time and gas we are happy to do it. Just an FYI, a min shipping order would be $250. You can PM me if you have any questions.

magnetic pyro
11-18-2014, 12:48 PM
Ryan ....We would love to have you stop out this way. Another option is that we can ship an order for you over to a freight terminal in Easten PA and you can pick them up at the terminal. Like I said we would love to meet you and have you see our facility, but if we can save you some time and gas we are happy to do it. Just an FYI, a min shipping order would be $250. You can PM me if you have any questions.
how many boxes of shells come in a case and how many shells are in a box?

Ryan1026
11-18-2014, 02:06 PM

Thank you for the information Ray! I didn't know shipping to a term was an option. I think I prefer road trip though :). I have some fam/cousins out that way I will get in touch with. Thanks again! Your website is awesome, and Daves tour of your store is impressive. I will get out after winter. I hibernate. Hate the cold!

Ryan

PyroManiacs
11-19-2014, 12:33 AM
how many boxes of shells come in a case and how many shells are in a box?

4 boxes of 12 in a case with 8 tubes total.

zmaster725
12-13-2014, 07:41 PM
If you are going to buy Retail, any Canister under $50 a box is generally unheard of, but if found, it is always worth the risk. Your average stores have Excals anywhere from $70 - $120 on the high end. Since so many are the same thing, just a re-wrap its hard to truly say what the best is. It is all a matter of personal preference and what makes your wallet feel the fullest. Buying wholesale, try to keep your box of 24 cans under $30 a piece, which would make a case of Excals that come 6 to a case normally need to be in the $150-$180 range. Pricing is also determined a lot on how much cash you want to lay down. Just because I have used the excals as the example, don't believe they are my favorite. Anything with a nice boom and great break that doesn't hurt the bank gets my vote.

MIpyro
12-15-2014, 04:47 PM
I tried out a box of demon shells and I have to say they blow excels out of the water or they are pretty similar. spent $40 for the box from a guy that sells wholesale from my club. Trying to get some from ACE/Fire Art but they are always out of them.

PyroManiacs
12-15-2014, 10:48 PM
I tried out a box of demon shells and I have to say they blow excels out of the water or they are pretty similar.

Huh? They blow excals out of the water but are pretty similar? lol

They blow excals out of the water is all you meant, hahahahah.

MIpyro
12-16-2014, 12:21 AM
Huh? They blow excals out of the water but are pretty similar? lol

They blow excals out of the water is all you meant, hahahahah.

Yeah, I didn't want to throw excels under the bus so I tried to make it sound like they are comparable..lol! So to be honest, they blow excels out of the water>

RetroPyro101
12-16-2014, 02:06 AM
Anyone know where i can get, Pro Shells, HD Shells, and Eco in the ear. around northeast OH or PA? I really wanna get the Pro shells preferably by the case?

RetroPyro101
12-16-2014, 01:53 PM
Anybody? Lol I can't find a store that sells them.

Ryan1026
12-16-2014, 02:35 PM
Anybody? Lol I can't find a store that sells them.

Hello RetroPyro101, I have sent you a PM.
The shells you seek are awesome. All of them.

RetroPyro101
12-16-2014, 04:49 PM
Ya I got ur PM that's just to far of a drive for me :/ I'm just gonna order straight from Bigs website the minimum order is $400 but they will ship for free so I figured id get some other things as well. Its awesome that they offer free shipping.

RetroPyro101
12-18-2014, 12:25 AM
Anyone know anywhere closer? I really wanna get these shells

jknepp1954
12-19-2014, 08:57 AM
Anyone know where i can get, Pro Shells, HD Shells, and Eco in the ear. around northeast OH or PA? I really wanna get the Pro shells preferably by the case?
retro - we have here, but only 3 box - 1 box shy of cs. But if interested, will give you pro rated cs price. We have other GOOD can shells as well. pm me if you wish.