PDA

View Full Version : Pyrotechnician tool bag

RetroPyro101
11-02-2014, 10:17 PM
Was wondering what are some good tools, and items to put in a tool bag. Things that i know i will diffidently need and use.

hatsgoods
11-03-2014, 01:10 AM
well, i tell ya what i have and if u don't have something in your bag yet that i do please feel free to use my parts as ideas to add to your bag. also i have a few videos on my youtube channel (see the link below in red) but ill list them here, and a tip ill ad is i normally keep 2 of each tool in my bag so when m out in the field and one of the tools get broke from use and or it malfunctions, i put that broke one back in my bag and grab my back up one and worry about the broke one later meaning get / buy a new one or fix it if its fixable. and my last tip is to keep a few different types of tape in your bag. you never know when u might need to fix something or repair a thing or 2 and its better to have the right type of tape for the right type of job. and lastly if you bring your camera along bring at least 2 pairs of batteries or 2 batteries if your cam takes one big or small batteries along with a spare memory card if the cam takes one. i normally have my spare batts and a memory card in my camera bag that i bring with me and also with my cam bag i have my charger and tripod with a spare tripod hook piece. i plan on getting a car charger for mu camera's charging block. i also keep my ac power cord that would run my cam off of house type power. so im always good at having a backup with my supplies, tools and i even always put a back up fuse on my stuff too, lol. so finally here is my list of stuff i always have in my bag. i will also do a spreate post on this thread of my choice of a always must have stuff and thing too. the list : folding multi tool, regular scissors, non sparking scissors ( the one type that takes a razor blade on one side and has a hard rubber block on the other side ) ( ill be getting them soon ), electrician's scissors, dikes ( diagonal wire cutters ), electrician's tape, masking tape, packing tape (Dave's magic tape -LOL), strapping tape. ( i got to get more, i ran out on my last show), duct tape, all of my fuse - slow reg visco, med visco, medfast visco, fast visco, paper visco, paper cross match type fuse, inghtors plus at least 10 or more extra spare ones, extra scrab wire, spool of firing wire, 3 15 min road flares, 4 30 min road flares, ear plugs, ear cuffs- the ones you where when shooting a gun at target practice, cotton twine string, utility cutting knife, 19 oz hammer, reflective safety vest, rain poncho, safety glasses, safety goggles, hard hat, pair of work gloves, BBQ lighter, Bic lighter, cigar lighter (mini blow torch), propane blow torch with electric inghtion, red,blue,green and black sharpie, yellow high lighter, mini note book, head lamp, flash light and extra batts for the flashlights, hand full of penny wrappers, hand full of assorted rubber bands, wire strippers, aw, small wood saw, a deck of cards to pass time during down time if any, pair of walkie talkies with spare batts, and with my bag is my folding lawn chair, my wireless firing system with spare batts in the hard plastic case it came in and its for storage, i also bring a lawn blanket so i can lay down and rest on down time if any, pen, pencil, a lock to lock my bag - i keep a key hidden in the bag a a key on me, a pair of 9v batts to fire one or 2 things, a pry bar

PyroJoeNEPA
11-03-2014, 09:53 AM
Kelly--it sounds like you need a truck just to tote your tools! LOL.

I have a "tool bag" and then there is all the "misc" stuff I take along also. My basic tool bag has two different size brass awls-one for QM shrouds & a smaller one for visco fuse size holes, an anvil style fuse cutter, large scissors, very small scissors [manicure size for cutting tie points into quick match, a pair of diagonal cutters, a 4" pair of mini-linemans pliers [for crimping scotch locks] a baggie of scotch locks, 2 sharpies, ball point pen, box cutter, fuse tape [like Uhaul tape, but 1/2"] black electrical tape, & ematch tester. This all fits in a small easy to carry bag. The company I shoot for does all e-fired shows, so my basic tool bag is designed with those needs in mind.
Peripheral stuff I carry for other shoots & club functions also includes ear protectors, safety glasses, hard hat, several head lamps, ammo cans with asst'd types of fuse, QM leaders, sticky match, small portable work table & chair, batteries [AA,AAA, 9v, button cells & 23A 12v [for remotes]. Bernzomatic torch, hammer, string, dime wrappers, uhaul tape, rubber bands, cordless drill with extra square head & phillips bits, square head & phillips deck screws, teflon ram rod & cleanout stick, continuity tester, another tool bag with asst'd hand tools, work gloves, hand wipes, bandana, eye glass cleaners, band aids, bug spray, 1 cue mini firing system, scab wire, & roll of shooting wire.
Also, a "go bag" with an extra change of clothes, gi issue poncho, towel, & extra copy of my "54" in a zip lock bag.

PGH_Pyro
11-03-2014, 10:21 AM
ts-4000 torch & extra propane can , titanium anvil cutter / non-sparking cutter, book/magazine to read on down-time, couple rolls of paper towels to clean "gun grease/rocket grease" off of things, water/coconut water to drink to prevent dehydration , cord-less drill or nails for bracing racks/cakes/etc , hammer, mallet, good forestry helmet with face-shield and ear protectors, steel-toe water-proof boots(always swampy conditions no matter where i've been shooting/setting up a display),... extra fuse of various types, foldable camping chair for downtime/taking a breather, masking tape or tape of your choice, non-perishable food like beef jerky or mixed nuts for sustenance, wood stakes for cake bracing, pyro poke , sunscreen , white/light colored clothes(dark clothes absorb the heat/sun), fire extinguisher(s) if working with a lot of cakes which tend to catch fire after they're done popping, nomex balaclava/gloves for extra burn protection if the shit hits the fan ...

hatsgoods
11-03-2014, 11:09 AM
Lol joe Nepa I have my stuff in a large rolling husky tote with colaspable pulls ng or pushing handle