PDA

View Full Version : Firing Systems

RetroPyro101
10-31-2014, 01:03 AM
I am looking into buying a firing system and wanted to get some input. this will be my first system so im looking for just
a good beginners system. i really only have a budget of $60 to $100

Should i buy on off ebay that comes from china?
How many cues should i have?
Brands?
so on

Pyro Nation
10-31-2014, 05:26 AM
Cues are all relative...when I first jumped into the Firing system game I spent like 90.00

http://www.firingsystems.us/Wireless-Firing-Systems-p/qf-2x6lr.htm

Then once I learned I LOVED IT... i jumped to the 32 que and had 3 of them before switching over to the Cobra when that came out...

Ur budget kind of dictates ur que count..lol

Playingwithfire85
10-31-2014, 06:27 AM
If you go through them and want to start out small then I would wait it out and buy a ms12q instead of the 2x6LR. I know its above your price range but if you wait it out they do sometimes go on sale for $99.

hatsgoods
10-31-2014, 07:43 AM
I would recommend the one that pyroliffic said. I have that system and love it. It normally runs about 125$ plus shipping but pays off in the long run

mguerra
10-31-2014, 10:38 AM
I started with a Quantumfire 2x6LR 12 cue system and I still find uses for it even though I have a Cobra system. It's dirt cheap, can easily fire three igniters on a cue and a great intro to efiring. I shot a professional 1.3G finale with it! With 12 cues and some creative fusing, you can put on an entire show with it. I use mine all the time when I am entertaining myself, test firing product and so on. So even if you wind up with something more professional and expensive later, you will still use it. I also have the MS12Q but it is not as reliable. The 2x6LR is on sale right now for $89.00

http://www.firingsystems.us/Wireless-Firing-Systems-s/42.htm

RetroPyro101
10-31-2014, 12:41 PM
I'm torn between 2 systems 32 que and the 2x6 :/ I will streach my budget tho because I wanna get something that I can use to put on a good show maybe 200 to 300 canister shells and 25 to 30 500g cakes thats prob my biggest show.

RetroPyro101
10-31-2014, 10:08 PM
Thoughts on this system?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Free-Shipping-12Cues-Fireworks-Firing-System-150m-remote-waterproof-case-igniter-/301342680457?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item46296c6589

RetroPyro101
10-31-2014, 10:18 PM
Thoughts on this system?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Free-Shipping-12Cues-Fireworks-Firing-System-150m-remote-waterproof-case-igniter-/301342680457?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item46296c6589

or this one?

http://www.firingsystems.us/MS12Q-12-Cue-Firing-System-p/ms12q.htm

hatsgoods
10-31-2014, 11:54 PM
The eBay one will cost more do to it takes more batteries

RetroPyro101
11-01-2014, 12:14 AM
lol i have been doing research all night and i am so confused.

P12 12-cue firing system http://pyroboom.com/products.aspx?name=firing

or http://www.firingsystems.us/Wireless-Firing-Systems-p/qf-2x6lr.htm the only thing about this one i dont like is the remote :/

mguerra
11-01-2014, 09:15 AM
Get the 2x6LR and stop overthinking it. It's $89.00, works great, will serve you well until you want something more. Two of us have given you a solid thumbs up on it. That plus a big roll of fuse and you are in business.

RetroPyro101
11-01-2014, 04:50 PM
lol thanks ill be doing that

jglojuch
12-23-2014, 10:49 AM
I am hoping someone can give me some guidance and suggestions. I bought the Quantum Firing System for the 4th of July. I use Phantom Products, and not one of the Falcon II igniters worked. I have since read that perhaps it was the batteries, but I'm wondering if it is the fuses that Phantom has on its products?

That being said, I would like to use the system for my New Years show and would like to have it all ready to go early. Any suggestions of extra steps I can take to ensure the system lights the fuses? I've read about wrapping the fuses in something. I have to admit, I'm not an "expert" so if you could use layman language I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks for your time.

pyroma
12-23-2014, 03:39 PM
I am hoping someone can give me some guidance and suggestions. I bought the Quantum Firing System for the 4th of July. I use Phantom Products, and not one of the Falcon II igniters worked. I have since read that perhaps it was the batteries, but I'm wondering if it is the fuses that Phantom has on its products?

That being said, I would like to use the system for my New Years show and would like to have it all ready to go early. Any suggestions of extra steps I can take to ensure the system lights the fuses? I've read about wrapping the fuses in something. I have to admit, I'm not an "expert" so if you could use layman language I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks for your time.

I bought the quantum 2x6LR as my first system and falcon II ignitors. I doubt it was the fuses on the cakes, the falcon II fire pretty hot when they go. I did 3 successful 12 cue shows with multi cakes, but the cakes I modified from original green visco to perfect or quick fuse using a "pyro poke" insert method. Last show I did was going smooth for the first 9 cues...till I lost cues 10, 11 and 12 (the finale of course with two canister racks and some salute cakes) had to dive in with torch to save it. It ended up being the 9v in the remote that failed. Live and learn...ALWAYS use fresh batteries was my lesson and have spare batteries for whatever system you use...hope this helps. Im no expert.

mguerra
12-23-2014, 06:09 PM
I have had very few failures with Quantum fire systems and clip igniters. Here's your troubleshooting tips:
1) BE SURE you have hot batteries. You need a battery tester if you expect to be a successful pyrotechnician. I test EVERY battery I am using either the day before or the day of a shoot. Including all the batteries in all my headlamps. You cannot assume batteries are good, even brand new. Try this:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BOBZJ0/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
2) Be careful with the nichrome wire in the igniters. This is easy to screw up. Do not just open the clip and stick your fuse in there!!! You will most certainly snag the nichrome wire and break it. Visually verify that you are placing the fuse in the igniter so that the nichrome does not get torn. Open the igniter ALL the way and watch the wire as you lay the fuse in the slot without snagging and tearing the wire. Close the igniter and then tape it shut. Now tape the igniter down on to the mortar, rack, or cake so that no pulling can occur and pull the igniter and fuse apart. I cut my fuse on a very shallow angle so that I can lay the nichrome wire on top of exposed powder, also.
3) Some cake fuses are too small in diameter for the clip to close down securely. Tape a short segment of normal diameter fuse (I use grey paper fast fuse) to the cake fuse and clip your igniter to this fuse for a secure grip. Grey paper fast fuse takes fire VERY well from clip igniters. Once you tape grey paper fast fuse to a piece of visco, DO NOT light that by hand, the product will go off in less than one second. If you wind up needing to fire the product by hand, take the fast fuse off first. An alternative method for cakes is to poke in to the lift of the first tube with a brass poke and insert a length of fast paper fuse, tape it down securely so it won't pull out of the lift, and clip your igniter to that.

Following these tips will probably solve your issues.

jglojuch
12-23-2014, 10:49 PM
I have had very few failures with Quantum fire systems and clip igniters. Here's your troubleshooting tips:
1) BE SURE you have hot batteries. You need a battery tester if you expect to be a successful pyrotechnician. I test EVERY battery I am using either the day before or the day of a shoot. Including all the batteries in all my headlamps. You cannot assume batteries are good, even brand new. Try this:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BOBZJ0/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
2) Be careful with the nichrome wire in the igniters. This is easy to screw up. Do not just open the clip and stick your fuse in there!!! You will most certainly snag the nichrome wire and break it. Visually verify that you are placing the fuse in the igniter so that the nichrome does not get torn. Open the igniter ALL the way and watch the wire as you lay the fuse in the slot without snagging and tearing the wire. Close the igniter and then tape it shut. Now tape the igniter down on to the mortar, rack, or cake so that no pulling can occur and pull the igniter and fuse apart. I cut my fuse on a very shallow angle so that I can lay the nichrome wire on top of exposed powder, also.
3) Some cake fuses are too small in diameter for the clip to close down securely. Tape a short segment of normal diameter fuse (I use grey paper fast fuse) to the cake fuse and clip your igniter to this fuse for a secure grip. Grey paper fast fuse takes fire VERY well from clip igniters. Once you tape grey paper fast fuse to a piece of visco, DO NOT light that by hand, the product will go off in less than one second. If you wind up needing to fire the product by hand, take the fast fuse off first. An alternative method for cakes is to poke in to the lift of the first tube with a brass poke and insert a length of fast paper fuse, tape it down securely so it won't pull out of the lift, and clip your igniter to that.

Following these tips will probably solve your issues.

I really appreciate your reply and information! Should the fuse tip be pressed against the wire or be below/under it? Going to test a few this weekend to see what I can figure out!

mguerra
12-24-2014, 04:09 PM
I shot this video to show you, play it at 720p, full screen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwWiC0sTSn4

The fuse does not need to be any further into the clip than just in contact with the wire. Cut the fuse on a shallow angle and place the cut side, with exposed powder, against the wire. The point is not to install these igniters blind, but to visualize exactly what you are doing every step of the way.