PDA

View Full Version : Ematch stress relief holes

Playingwithfire85
09-30-2014, 06:13 PM
I put some of the consumer initiators in some Excals today and was going to drill holes in my dr11 so I could use stress reliefs for the wires and it got me thinking. If I attach the stress reliefs to tubes by looping through holes drilled in them then what are the chances of upon ignition the tube flies out of the rack instead of the e-match breaking loose from the canister? Some of my racks have a little play to them because of the slight variations in the 2x3 bottoms. If a tube (or more) gets yanked out then I might have all kinds of issues.

hatsgoods
10-01-2014, 12:48 AM
put a dual headed aka duplex nail on each side but the tip of each rack and wrap each wire 2 - 3 times around the nail. ill post some pics of my racks of what i mean. and this technique is use by pyrotechnico that i work for. if not we do the same but use the nails on the side boards if the match wire is longer

Playingwithfire85
10-01-2014, 01:59 AM
I have seen that setup before. I was going to use eyescrews but it hinders being able to stack them easily as my space is limited. My pyro workspace is in a shed and with over 30 racks total i cant afford to change up my stacking order. Also taking the nails in and out all the time work better for larger racks without doing as much damage to them.

mguerra
10-01-2014, 09:27 AM
I put teacup hooks on the top side of my side boards. Absolutely no interference with stacking/storing your racks. Also faster and easier than using a closed eyehook.

PyroJoeNEPA
10-01-2014, 09:50 AM
what are the chances of upon ignition the tube flies out of the rack instead of the e-match breaking loose from the canister?Some of my racks have a little play to them because of the slight variations in the 2x3 bottoms. If a tube (or more) gets yanked out then I might have all kinds of issues.
Back to the OP question: The ematch will be burned free of the can once the lift gases hit it. It only takes a small piece of tape to hold the igniter in the can--basically the tape is to keep any lift powder from leaking out of the hole. Don't "over-tape" it! Drilling holes in 1.75" tubes to me would be a pain! Hatsgoods suggestion for a tie off nail is good. I worked a show this past weekend with a lot of 2.5" guns that did not have holes in them [efired show]. We put one screw half way down the side of the gun [by tubes 5 & 6]. Twisted matches 1-5 together [instead of every individual wire], wrapped the bundle around the "peg". Did the same with 6-10. Worked fine, quick scab wire cleanup & one screw per rack to remove.
As for the loose tubes in your racks--if they have some "give" end to end, just hammer a shim in the one end.