PDA

View Full Version : Set Pieces ?

NWPA
09-14-2014, 04:34 PM
What ever happened to set pieces? I recall presidents faces, flags etc. done with lances at firework shows when I was young. Even bought 10 gross of red, white, and blue lances once and attempted to build a flag framework. You could still buy quick match then, fused everything, and did something wrong as half ignited leaving the other half untouched. Anyway why are they not used anymore.

Dion
09-14-2014, 07:28 PM
Because people (none pyros) don't appreciate them anymore. All people want to hear are bang&Boom than go home and hide! SO sad, I miss them! When a company contracts to display a show most of the time the buyer only wants to know shell count and special shells. The ground gets nothing. Id rather see a good 1.4 show with wheels and fountains along with some aerial then a pro show these days because there is no art to it.

N3OQO
09-14-2014, 08:12 PM
Id rather see a good 1.4 show with wheels and fountains along with some aerial then a pro show these days because there is no art to it.

I like both. For years I neglected the ground show, the last few I have been working to perfect it. Now I start out with wheels, fountains, firecrackers and roman candles and then build into the repeaters and mortars. Showmanship is an art that you have to work at, and you will work at it if you enjoy it. I'm already playing around with ideas for next years 4th weekend shows, building further on what I did this year. I would love to work with some lance, a flag would look awesome in our backyard.

Dion
09-14-2014, 08:30 PM
I like both. For years I neglected the ground show, the last few I have been working to perfect it. Now I start out with wheels, fountains, firecrackers and roman candles and then build into the repeaters and mortars. Showmanship is an art that you have to work at, and you will work at it if you enjoy it. I'm already playing around with ideas for next years 4th weekend shows, building further on what I did this year. I would love to work with some lance, a flag would look awesome in our backyard.
That is fantastic! This year I'm going to find another pyro to get together with to do a 4th show with. I live in a S&S state with a very small back yard right now and cant put on a good show like I would like to do. I do the same type of show like your own and I appreciate your style. Its a art to get it all right.

N3OQO
09-14-2014, 09:24 PM
It's S&S here as well. Living so close to the OH border its funny to watch people from both states run back and forth buying fireworks because of outdated, stupid regulations. They turn a blind eye to collect the taxes. Hell, our entire neighborhood is lit up so bright you can see your shadow on the forth from about 9 till midnight on the 4th. I also go to a buddy's place that has a few acres in the middle of nowhere and we have a ball, and I get a chance to unleash and really do my thing, they love it. It's time the politicians wake up and let freedom ring on the holidays, and collect their booty while doing so. Let the cops police the idiots that use them dangerously, and leave the rest of us sane pyros alone to enjoy.

PGH_Pyro
09-14-2014, 09:55 PM
i think at the least here in Pittsburgh, city council / the new mayor should allow fireworks to be used in designated areas (i.e. along the rivers in some of those former mill-sites and etc. )

PyroManiacs
09-14-2014, 11:00 PM
Ive done two shows with set pieces this year. :)

And yes, pro shows are more like just a job in my opinion. They are all basically the same run of the mill setup. But I dont mind, CAUSE I GET TO BLOW SHIT UP STILL!

PyroJoeNEPA
09-15-2014, 08:59 AM
I've done a couple set pieces for my own show over the years --flag & twin towers. I'd like to do two tanks shooting roman candles at each other--but IT IS A LOT OF WORK!!!!! We have done a few set pieces for events with the company I shoot for also, but most people are missing the ground effects that watch from the outer areas of the shoot site.
I, too, remember intricate set pieces when I was young [a long time ago LOL]--my favorite was the man on the bicycle that someone walked across the field while it was burning.

jknepp1954
09-15-2014, 10:57 AM
2 yrs ago i did a set piece that read "100th" for a local biz man whose family held a b'day party and family reunion.
First one in a few years that i did - kind of nervous about it - but it went off beautifully!
Did a flag once - some of the stars did not burn - so didn't turn out so good...

NWPA
09-15-2014, 11:54 AM
I know they are a lot of work but I think well worth the effort. My framework was discarded curtain stretchers if anyone remembers those. I cut them up and patched them together. First and last attempt. Once anyone went through the trouble of making the framework though it can be used over and over.

PyroJoeNEPA
09-15-2014, 07:06 PM
I am helping with a benefit shoot this Sunday with all proceeds going to the Wounded Warriors. All labor & product is donated so it is a good fund generator for the WWP. Part of the show features a large American Flag set piece. I will try & get a few pictures of it. The lances use the "claw" fasteners instead of the brads or the HDPE cups Precocious sells. Also, I am making 150 specialty shells [100 5" & 50 6"] for the show--some 6" Purple Hearts & other various effects you can not get stock off the shelf---to add to the body of the show.
I will post a new thread on that show after it is done & I have time to compile pics & video. --I have pics of shell assembly & video of the WASP machine pasting a 6" shell if anyone is interested. Still have a LOT to do before next Sunday. Shooting a 5" & 6" tonight in a couple hours to check the lift & time fuse before they are all "buttoned up".

Playingwithfire85
09-15-2014, 07:22 PM
I have been wanting to do a set piece for my consumer shows but I have no clue where to get my hands on lances. I have wanted to do a military show using colors that represent different parts of the military and have it themed and sectioned.

PyroJoeNEPA
09-15-2014, 11:20 PM
I have been wanting to do a set piece for my consumer shows but I have no clue where to get my hands on lances.

If you have a "54" you can purchase lance from a variety of vendors. If you do not have a class B permit you still have options. I have seen people use the "birthday candle" sparklers in place of lance & also morning glories [2 or 3 taped together for more fire]. Unfortunately, neither of these options give you the color capabilities for pattern design you would probably want.

Playingwithfire85
09-16-2014, 04:29 AM
No I do not have a type 54. That's becoming a huge issue to me due to not having storage. The only semi local company never returns calls. But back to set pieces.. I would prefer to have color capabilities for the projects I want to work on. I have a 10 ft wire frame I made for my attempts that is shaped like an eagle with wings spread.

Westpapyro
09-17-2014, 07:31 AM
I enjoy set pieces and it's nice to see that hard work go up and work perfectly. I've only done one, a pink breast cancer ribbon lance work. It worked perfect as a tribute to my mom who had passed away from breast cancer. Here is a link to the test one.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yHujeMtR2I4

PyroJoeNEPA
09-17-2014, 09:42 AM
Sorry to hear about your Mom. I lost mine to cancer as well many years ago. The set piece you made looked great. Good job. It was a great tribute for her.

MIpyro
09-17-2014, 02:58 PM
No I do not have a type 54. That's becoming a huge issue to me due to not having storage. The only semi local company never returns calls. But back to set pieces.. I would prefer to have color capabilities for the projects I want to work on. I have a 10 ft wire frame I made for my attempts that is shaped like an eagle with wings spread.

contact Ace Pyro. They will be glad to write you a letter of contingency. They wrote one for me and I got my type 54.

Dion
09-17-2014, 08:36 PM
I enjoy set pieces and it's nice to see that hard work go up and work perfectly. I've only done one, a pink breast cancer ribbon lance work. It worked perfect as a tribute to my mom who had passed away from breast cancer. Here is a link to the test one.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yHujeMtR2I4
Having lost my mother 17 years ago also to breast cancer I greatly respect That. Good job!!

mguerra
09-18-2014, 11:08 AM
Ace Pyro
84.7 miles from Clinton Township

MIpyro
09-20-2014, 09:34 AM
Ace Pyro
84.7 miles from Clinton Township

Or you can do the other option which is about the same distance with a pyro company up in Bay City. The contingency has to be within the 100 mile distance the ATF requires. Your choice.

NWPA
09-21-2014, 03:24 PM
I can see from all these posts I'm really out of touch. Did not know you could no longer buy lances. I'm recalling days too long ago I guess.

Playingwithfire85
09-21-2014, 04:34 PM
From what I have found out in the last few days I guess there is a place that was suggested to me here in Michigan that sells lances under the Articles of Pyrotechnics instead of their pro-line.

NWPA
09-22-2014, 08:37 PM
Watched your video on you tube through the link you post. That was excellent. You stated "small and simple" show, it was far from small and simple. Very good my friend.