PDA

View Full Version : Brass poke/Steel Awl

Playingwithfire85
08-18-2014, 06:40 AM
I bet everyone freaked out when I put "Steel" in the title. ;) I do have and use a brass poke but I just have a curiosity about using steel. Does the actual friction from the steel touching the black powder cause ignition or it is just the possibility of static? What got me thinking is we use anti static wrist straps that have wires that connect to the chassis of a computer to prevent static discharge on the components. My thought was whether someone could have had the idea of making a steel awl with the wired wrist strap to stop static discharge. I am looking for an intelligent answer and not a "don't do it because so and so said not to" type answer.

NWPA
08-18-2014, 08:48 AM
I once had one [an awl] that I had brazed a carbide tip on a brass rod. Ground it to a point. This was many years ago when I still worked in a tool shop. Whether that's any safer then steel, I don't know. All I can say is I used it for a long time without problems. Now lost in the jumble of things.

PyroJoeNEPA
08-18-2014, 09:25 AM
I think the safety issue here is metal against metal can cause a spark. Many pyro comps use Magnalium [Magnesium & Aluminum compound], Aluminum, Titanium, FerroTitanium [has Iron in it], etc. Since Brass is non sparking it has been considered the safest material to use in a "poke". Static can get you anytime, so I don't see that being the main issue with the awl.
Poking into a lift charge with black powder in a cake isn't as "iffy" as hitting the actual star or effect comp. just my thoughts.

Playingwithfire85
08-18-2014, 11:39 PM
That makes more sense about the metal inside the comp. I just don't see how rubbing two metal together(in a firework) will cause a spark unless you're seriously grinding around inside there because easy compression of black powder doesn't cause ignition. If you're digging around with your poke then you're asking for trouble anyways.