PDA

View Full Version : Firewire Initiator

displayfireworks1
08-17-2014, 08:01 PM
I have a box of the new "Electric Match". I will be doing a review on them soon. Here is a first look at them for your review.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYBvlFQrZfM

PyroManiacs
08-17-2014, 11:40 PM
Cool, looking forward for more video on this.

I had actually just looked on the website of the manufacturer. I thought they would have had better pricing on the case purchases. $900 to $1900 a case is a little much.

displayfireworks1
11-09-2014, 08:18 PM
I just released a video review of the FireWire Initiator . If someone has some experience I would enjoy hearing your comments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VF_rY9gjRtw
In this video I test a new product available on the market. The FireWire Initiator is an igniter that is available without an ATF license. As many fireworks enthusiast advance into electrical firing of backyard fireworks displays, they may not have an ATF license to purchase “Real” electric match. Are these FireWire Igniters a reliable substitute?
https://electricmatch.com/upload/products/20140808065334_firewire.jpg

PGH_Pyro
11-09-2014, 08:57 PM
interesting results in the video. that case price is just ... stupidly greedy if that's accurate .

mguerra
11-10-2014, 01:05 PM
The price is based on market forces. If they overprice them, and can't sell them, they will go out of production on that product. There is nothing stupid or greedy about the free market. It is totally voluntary, you buy something or you don't, your choice. Likely the production is low and this is the best price they can offer for now. The price may drop.
My testing replicated Dave's. I could not get them to fire with a hammer blow. I scraped them from slow to very fast across a matchbook striker and they would not fire. These seem VERY safe, so far. I also had one fail to fire out of about ten or twelve I have tried. I'm not sure if that was user error or not.

PGH_Pyro
11-10-2014, 02:08 PM
market forces, sure but c'mon ... i'd rather just hand-light at that price ...
sorry but, I was shocked when I saw that price amount . *eyes popping out of head*
in any case, it's good see that they're so friction stable .

Fire Art
11-10-2014, 03:25 PM
Going to be testing some consumer ematch when it arrives in the spring. Will see how it stands up. And can you say...very reasonably priced.

Westpapyro
11-10-2014, 07:03 PM
Going to be testing some consumer ematch when it arrives in the spring. Will see how it stands up. And can you say...very reasonably priced.

Oooouuu! Do tell more! You got my #

algrant1
11-11-2014, 01:12 AM
About $1 for a 10' ematch. That's crazy especially with questionable reliability.

displayfireworks1
11-11-2014, 10:03 AM
It looks like people are commenting on here and YouTube the failure rate may be around 10%. I heard they used these for an entire display at the PGI convention. I would be curious how they performed. They may have brought these to market too soon trying to get them in for the July 4th holiday 2014.
If someone is using the current Nichrome Wire igniters, what would you estimate the failure rate on those are 10%?

Playingwithfire85
11-12-2014, 01:47 AM
I have had now several failures from the firewire igniters. In two years I have had one nichrome wire igniter fail and that was because my son tripped over the wire and didn't say anything until after the show when i noticed the clip igniter was pulled off the fuse. The weird part is all the firewire igniters that have failed all had continuity before attempting to fire then none after. Maybe too thin of bridge wire that fails before igniting the compound.

PyroJoeNEPA
11-12-2014, 11:37 AM
The weird part is all the firewire igniters that have failed all had continuity before attempting to fire then none after. Maybe too thin of bridge wire that fails before igniting the compound.

An igniter-whether a firewire, or an ematch, can be shorted at the head [bridge wire] & will show "continuity" on a test since the test only verifies the circuit is complete--it does not check for the resistance of the device. That is one reason the "Made in America" Martiinez matches cost more than the Chinese ones--quality control. They test them before they are sold!!!!!

I have had several ematches fail over the years & found them all shorted when tested with an ohm meter.
N.B. DO NOT use an analog meter to test ematches & NEVER test one if it is connected to a shell or cake or other pyro device.--it will set them off if they are not shorted. My Fluke digital uses less current to measure resistance than an analog meter & will not ignite an ematch. If you are going to check bridge wire resistance, use proper precautions.

algrant1
11-14-2014, 02:25 AM
Well said Joe!
I am going get and try some of the Martinez email hhe's in 2015

displayfireworks1
11-14-2014, 09:13 AM
If you have an ATF license Martinez will ship the electric match to your home. You will need to fax a copy of your license to them.
I see they have a few different choices of match. Maybe they have a none regulated one also?

http://www.martinezspecialtiesinc.com/pyrotechnics/
http://www.martinezspecialtiesinc.com/wp-content/themes/martinezspecialties/images/footer_logo.jpg

park2332
11-19-2014, 07:17 PM
I used a few of the firewire initiators in my July 4th show this year on some Dominator Pro 1.4 items. I didn't have any fail to ignite, although I only used about 25 total.

displayfireworks1
11-19-2014, 07:54 PM
I was hoping to hear a comment from Northern Sky, I heard he may have been involved in a PGI fireworks display that used all FireWire Initiators.
I talked with one of my advertisers Martinez Specialties about these, they told me they currently have no plan to make or market these. While I experience some failures, these still probably perform better than the current consumer igniters. I would guess as time goes by these will be perfected and improved. I suspect the Chinese will copy these soon.

honestjohnmg
12-10-2014, 12:17 AM
Hey folks these things these Initiators cause me a little embarrassment when I was shooting at a backyard BBQ 3 out of 10 did not go. Same results everyone else has probably had continuity at start ,no continuity after failed fire.I had some Talon's on hand to shoot cakes for the 3 failed initiators. Not the first time I had failure with these since I got them for the Forth display and had several not make the grade.I'm stuck with them cause it's too expensive to send back a couple at a time for replacement.Hope they get the bugs worked out it would help us all out like them when they worked hatted them when they didn't.

mguerra
12-10-2014, 12:54 PM
I am reposting my comment from another forum:

I just had a very bad experience with the MJG I-match. After matching up a LOT of cakes for a big show this weekend, I decided to test fire a few of the initiators. 4 out of 4 1- meter initiators checked good for continuity but all 4 failed to fire. After they failed to fire, they tested bad for continuity. 1 out of 2 2-meter initiators failed to fire, the failed product again tested good for continuity before and bad after. The batteries tested good and hot on the 2 different modules. I checked each battery individually on a battery tester. Now I have to go back and redo ALL those cakes, with either regular ematch or clip igniters. I'm a little ticked off. It seems the bridge wire opened upon applying current, without firing the match head. I used both a Cobra and a QuantumFire 2x6LR module for testing. I had a couple fail at my August 15 show, but figured maybe I didn't get them in the lift all the way. Now I'm not so sure. Anybody else getting failures?

mguerra
12-10-2014, 01:01 PM
The seller indicated they were aware of a bad batch, they would refund or replace, and they believe the issue is resolved. Once I get replacement product I will test and report back. If I had not tested these, I would have had a nasty embarrasing experience this coming Saturday night! If you believe you have defective product contact MJG.

Playingwithfire85
12-15-2014, 04:22 PM
I have had several failures recently and when I had contacted MJG they said they would toss in extras with my next order. Now why would I want to make another order to get something that should have worked right in the first place?

mguerra
12-17-2014, 11:13 AM
The fact that a bad batch got past QC and out in to distribution is poor form for sure. But since it is a new product and they are sending me replacement product, I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt for now. If the new batch tests good, I will be happy. Having an ATF license, I can use regular ematch and it's cheaper. But it has to be stored in a magazine. I start wiring and fusing up 1.4 product days or weeks ahead of a show. A 1.4 cake, ematched in the lift, has to be kept in a magazine, and I don't have a big walk in magazine. A 1.4 cake, matched with Firewire i-match, can be stored in a barn or other building, which I do have. So even though it is more expensive it really allows you to speed up set-up in the field. This is BIG if you have little or no help for set-up.