PDA

View Full Version : Waiting for my Interview with the ATF

Melp
08-12-2014, 05:49 PM
After a year of delaying I finished my app and sent it in. Now Im just waiting for a reply from the ATF for the interview. Does anyone have any info on what I might expect them to ask me. I know that in the video dave said they go over certain things but I dont want to be caught off guard.
My next question is I would like to shoot off larger color shells maybe 2in or 3in but I dont know how tall of tubes that I would need to shoot these shells as I have never bought 1.3, I usually buy 12in tall hdpe 1.91 tubes for consumer shells I have about 120 of those so I would like to start buying larger tubes.
I would also like to build a job box Magazine I have seen them online and will talk to the officer that comes to do the interview but was wondering if anyone had built one.
Im hoping for some good suggestions thanks in advance:D

PyroManiacs
08-12-2014, 07:08 PM
.... answers starting on page 3

http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/showthread.php?2923-Texas/page3

displayfireworks1
08-12-2014, 09:32 PM
Remember when the ATF Inspector interviews you it is not a test, it is more of an educational event. They do not know you, their objective is to keep the public safe from explosives. Some of the people I helped get their license told me they told the ATF they may want to purchase 1.3 fireworks in the future for a potential event. You really do not need to much of a reason. But if you give a bad reason it will surely be trouble. They are also going to be clear you understand you can not just store these types of fireworks in your basement or garage. On the Type 54 license you pick up the fireworks the day of the event and shoot all of them. If for some reason you are rained out, you drive all the 1.3 fireworks back to the distributors, he then puts them back into the magazine. This is why in my videos you see me at the end of a display bring out the torch and destroy whatever did not fire.

Melp
08-12-2014, 10:18 PM
In my mind I was kind of thinking that if I was able to get a class IV magazine that if some thing didnt fire I would be able to store it in my small magazine instead of driving a 100 miles to my contingency plan magazine.
Right now I sent in my application with my contingency letter in the package along with my finger prints and a picture which I almost forgot until I went down and watched your video again just to make sure I didnt forget anything. I thought at the interview that I would ask the inspector all the details on a class IV magazine before I went out and bought everything.
I always buy dr11 hdpe 12in tall all the videos I see you shooting 2-3 shell the tube look like they are maybe 24in tall? I havent had anyone answer that question yet

PyroManiacs
08-12-2014, 10:59 PM
Tube size = Tube length

2 - 2.5" = 15" - 16.5"

3" = 18" - 19.5"

Just for good measure...(no pun intended)

4" = 24"

5" = 28"

6" = 28" - 36"

8" = 42" - 48"

10" = 50"

12" = 60"

Melp
08-13-2014, 07:30 AM
awesome thank you

mguerra
08-13-2014, 09:57 AM
Don't ask the interviewer all about a Type IV magazine, educate yourself beforehand. It's all online. Your goal should be to know MORE about this than the interviewer. You don't need to "build" a job box, you just go buy one. Read ATF2011-3. If you almost forgot your picture, and did not realize it without looking at the video, you did not look at the application very well. Read this cover to cover and understand it before your interview: Title 27, Code of Federal Regulations, Part 555- Commerce in Explosives. That is what is referred to as "The Orange Book" and you need to understand it thoroughly to play this little game. Get your shit together, be safe, have fun, and good luck!

PGH_Pyro
08-13-2014, 12:37 PM
work with experienced pyro-techs . join a club or help on 1.3 shows for awhile .

CTPYRO
08-13-2014, 02:14 PM
Since it appears you have never worked with 1.3 before ( asking how high tubes are for 2.5-3" shells is an indicator ) I'd really consider working with a trained professional/Club/Display Co prior to jumping in..... B is not like using 1.4

Melp
08-13-2014, 10:20 PM
I will be working with a display fireworks operator for the PGI He is also a instructor for the PGI display fireworks operator certification course, I am lucky enough to able to help him on two up coming shows that he will be doing this month. I ordered the dvd from dave over a year ago and started to fill it out right away but put it on hold as my business got busy so this is why I re watched the video to make sure I didnt forget anything like the picture. I appreciate everyone advice, Its nice to know that I have everything in motion that everyone suggested. Oh ha except maybe getting my shit together:cool:

johnybmb
08-16-2014, 03:16 PM
Hello,
About mortar tube dimensions, as a rule of thumb, the effective height is 5 times the inner diameter. I.E. for a 3 inch mortar, it should be 5*3=15 inch EFFECTIVE Length, meaning that the exact "empty" length of tube is 15 inch. If using a HDPE mortar, the end plug length is often as long as it is wide, so for a 3 inch mortar, the length of the end plug is 3 inch. So total length of the mortar should be 18 inch. With fiberglass mortars the dimensions vary depending on the manufacturer: some make the mortars without a wooden plug (just a thin fiberglass ending), while others add a wooden plug and so the length increases.
I personally use only HDPE mortars which I buy as pipe and make the mortars myself. However, I have never so far made the end plugs as long as the ID of the mortar: For 2.5" and 3" I made it 5 cm long and for the 4" mortar I used a 7 cm long plug. I use 4 nails/screws to secure the plug to the mortar and I have not yet experienced a blown out plug so far. I cut the mortars to 6 times the ID. So my effective length is usually more than 5 times the ID.

Melp
08-16-2014, 09:06 PM
Thanks Johnybmb Thats a great way to remember 5xID plus your plug size.