PDA

View Full Version : Yet ANOTHER cake-fusing question

N3OQO
08-01-2014, 03:31 PM
This year I had great success chaining cakes glued on boards with different fuse and methods. Something I was thinking of trying and wondered if anyone else has tried it. Can you punch a hole say in the next to the last tube of one cake and the first one of the next and insert visco between them? I would think the lift charge of first cake would light the fuse, and in turn light the first lift in cake number two.

PyroJoeNEPA
08-01-2014, 05:55 PM
That is exactly how cakes are made in the factory. HOWEVER if you are going to do that--you MUST use a non sparking tool--a brass awl is what I use. I have seen some guys use aluminum rain gutter nails [spikes] but they are way too thick for a visco hole. They work for ematch. If you have access to a bench grinder you could grind one down to 3/16" or so for visco. I will send you a link via PM where you can get non sparking awls.

PGH_Pyro
08-03-2014, 02:06 AM
Get the poke . They're the "right diameter" for this specific application compared to a gutter nail.
I realize they aren't a sponsor here but the one I own has saved lots of time & aggravation .
And also , sorry to belabor the point but - just hand-fire your cakes, successively ... I realize some people are nervous/afraid of handlighting but it's easy if you know to turn and walk away quickly after lighting each cake ...(just dont have body parts/head over cakes/tubes...)
Saves a lot of this poking and fusing ... take the PGI display operator course (still applies to 1.4) and get familiar/comfy with doing hand-firing ...
I was nervous myself back then , at first before I saw these veteran pros doing it like it was a walk in the woods...
You can control the timing/flow of the show, this way, too ... you aren't at the mercy of all the visco/black match pass-firing ...

N3OQO
08-03-2014, 08:54 AM
I've been looking at the poke to simplify and add to my technique. I've always hand fired, usually lighting about 30 or so cakes in past years. This year I got a 12 cue remote and built cake boards fused with various speeds of visco using zip ties and the "magic" tape. I shot just over 120 cakes in two evenings and everything fired flawlessly ACCEPT one board, and that was simply I missed the button on the remote. The one improvement I would make to the firing remote is lighted buttons that go out after being fired, but then again it's a 100 dollar remote, and otherwise works very well. I can now sit back and enjoy the show I created. Thanks for the tips guys, going to be working on a board using this method directly. ;)

Dion
08-03-2014, 08:43 PM
I've been looking at the poke to simplify and add to my technique. I've always hand fired, usually lighting about 30 or so cakes in past years. This year I got a 12 cue remote and built cake boards fused with various speeds of visco using zip ties and the "magic" tape. I shot just over 120 cakes in two evenings and everything fired flawlessly ACCEPT one board, and that was simply I missed the button on the remote. The one improvement I would make to the firing remote is lighted buttons that go out after being fired, but then again it's a 100 dollar remote, and otherwise works very well. I can now sit back and enjoy the show I created. Thanks for the tips guys, going to be working on a board using this method directly. ;)

You brought up a great point. Why the hell do all these companies make firing remotes that do not let you know if a cue has been fired or not!! Cobra R2 is the only handheld that I know of that does. So many good looking systems out there with bulls**t remotes!:mad::confused:

kessie
08-07-2014, 07:52 PM
If you're going to do that, don't use Visco fuse. Most cakes have finales which rapidly fire the last 3 to 5 or even 10 shots... so if you were to trigger the visco with the 2nd-to-last tube there would still be a massive delay. Use anything faster, Perfect, Canon, Quick. I prefer to hand-light half my show with my firing system doing the other with a North/South system; firing system occupying the north, igniter-less cakes occupying the south with ME reporting back to the East/West position. More control this way. Don't be afraid to get close to these things.

Rick_In_Tampa
06-09-2016, 11:28 AM

Quick question... What is the "magic tape" you referred to in your post? I use zip ties now, and someone recommended I tape over the zip ties to ensure the visco ignites. Sounds like that's what you're doing, yes?

Westpapyro
06-09-2016, 12:02 PM
Dave's magic tape refers to Uhaul packing tape. Though it may not be so magical since they reportedly changed to glue? Search "magic" in the search bar here and you'll find lots of threads about it!

displayfireworks1
06-09-2016, 12:51 PM
There is whole story behind the name "Dave's Magic Tape". We found it for sale at Uhaul. You can go to Uhaul store and pick it up or order $50.00 worth and get free delivery. There are reports of a change in performance, but it still works well for fusing.
https://www.uhaul.com/MovingSupplies/Tape/Box-Packaging-Paper-Tape-(55-yard-roll)?mid=143&id=822
Uhaul was pleased I was promoting their tape. I have not talked with them in a while. It looks like there are back where we were 3 years ago when they try to make it cheaper. It does still work great for fusing.

Rick_In_Tampa
06-10-2016, 12:28 AM
Dave's magic tape refers to Uhaul packing tape. Though it may not be so magical since they reportedly changed to glue? Search "magic" in the search bar here and you'll find lots of threads about it!

I'll take a look. Thanks for the reply.

Rick_In_Tampa
06-10-2016, 12:30 AM
There is whole story behind the name "Dave's Magic Tape". We found it for sale at Uhaul. You can go to Uhaul store and pick it up or order $50.00 worth and get free delivery. There are reports of a change in performance, but it still works well for fusing.
https://www.uhaul.com/MovingSupplies/Tape/Box-Packaging-Paper-Tape-(55-yard-roll)?mid=143&id=822
Uhaul was pleased I was promoting their tape. I have not talked with them in a while. It looks like there are back where we were 3 years ago when they try to make it cheaper. It does still work great for fusing.

Thanks for the link!