PDA

View Full Version : do i need a placard?

hatsgoods
07-16-2014, 02:22 PM
this will be in the far future but i was just wondering. would i have to placard my truck if my local high school pays me to do a show. ill have my type 54 and ill get the necessary permits but i think it will be considered commence so im think yes ill have to placard the truck.any help i would love. m just trying to figure out if i want to offer a show to them for homecoming or something. this is land there big for 4 inch shells. and ill know ill need to get a NJ blasters / electricians license to e fire as i would do the show e fire for better control.

mguerra
07-16-2014, 03:21 PM
If you are in commerce you not only need a placard but also must meet an ENORMOUS number of other DOT requirements, insurance, and likely a CDL with hazmat endorsement. Unless you are in business to make a living, you don't want to go down this road. If you buy all the product, they reimburse you your exact cost with zero markup and you go shoot it for no charge, that's a different story. You do need to check your state and local laws, however.

displayfireworks1
07-16-2014, 04:56 PM
Great advice, I tell people forget about getting into the display fireworks business. Just work for them and do a display from time to time. I enjoy operating under the "Not in Commerce". That means for example when I do my sportsman club fireworks I do not make a dime, as a matter of fact it actually cost me money. LOL. If you sell just one display, all those rules and insurance requirement now apply to you. If you can sell a display to your school for example. tell the professional company you work for and they will let you shoot it and possible get an extra commission. At the rate the regulations are becoming more and more difficult, it is predicted by people in the business there may be less than 20 companies in the entire United States doing displays.
"Not in Commerce" song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrddqgcjagQ

PyroJW
07-16-2014, 06:19 PM
Yes sir you will need to placard.

this will be in the far future but i was just wondering. would i have to placard my truck if my local high school pays me to do a show. ill have my type 54 and ill get the necessary permits but i think it will be considered commence so im think yes ill have to placard the truck.any help i would love. m just trying to figure out if i want to offer a show to them for homecoming or something. this is land there big for 4 inch shells. and ill know ill need to get a NJ blasters / electricians license to e fire as i would do the show e fire for better control.

Blam Blam
07-16-2014, 09:36 PM
Please head mguerra's comments. The only exception to this, and it's only a partial reprieve, would be to only use 1.4G product and less than 1,001 lbs (total/shipping weight) of that. Running afoul of DOT is an expensive diversion.

CTPYRO
07-17-2014, 10:04 AM
Please head mguerra's comments. The only exception to this, and it's only a partial reprieve, would be to only use 1.4G product and less than 1,001 lbs (total/shipping weight) of that. Running afoul of DOT is an expensive diversion.

If in commerce ( your making money ) yes you placard otherwise no - unless there is excessive weight

h2opyro
07-17-2014, 11:33 AM
you cant jsut put a sticker on ur turcka dn call it good....

you need a CDL w/ hazmat, insurance and tons of paperwork with you in the truck as well.
if you are caught without them... let's just say you will be poor and in heaps of trouble with the DOT.
its best to go through a display omcpany to shoot shows in commerce - insane cost and paperwork otherwise

btw if you have less than 1000 lbs of 1.4 and dont need to placard this doesn't excuse the insurance and paperwork; still need it

CTPYRO
07-17-2014, 01:13 PM
you cant jsut put a sticker on ur turcka dn call it good....

you need a CDL w/ hazmat, insurance and tons of paperwork with you in the truck as well.
if you are caught without them... let's just say you will be poor and in heaps of trouble with the DOT.
its best to go through a display omcpany to shoot shows in commerce - insane cost and paperwork otherwise

btw if you have less than 1000 lbs of 1.4 and dont need to placard this doesn't excuse the insurance and paperwork; still need it

You need all that if you are in commerce.... not if lets say you buy 1.3 from a distributor and are going to a club shoot. Proof that you have the 54 will be needed if your pulled over... but you need to be pulled over and there is only one reason for that...your speeding

mguerra
07-17-2014, 02:40 PM
Also, don't put a placard if you are not in commerce because a placard can get you pulled over for an inspection. It may seem smart to placard for "safety" but it can get you a roadside clusterf... as you try to explain yourself as not being in commerce, why you are not adhering to a boatload of DOT requirements, and so on. Placard ONLY if you are in commerce.

hatsgoods
07-17-2014, 03:00 PM
don't worry people im not gonna do that if they ask me to do a show ill just lead them to the local company that does the shows in my area.

Blam Blam
07-17-2014, 07:39 PM
If in commerce ( your making money ) yes you placard otherwise no - unless there is excessive weight

If you are in commerce:

and are hauling 1.3G and 1.1G you must placard regardless of weight
and are hauling 1.4G only

under 1,001 lbs you do not need to placard
1,001 or over you must placard

If you are not in commerce you never placard, regardless of weight.