PDA

View Full Version : Planning out a show

spanks_4
07-14-2014, 11:58 AM
This will be my first big back yard show and I'm just looking for some tips. Half of me says go all 500G cakes and the other half says use a lot of 200G cakes because you get more cakes per box per price.
I would really like this to last 20-30 minutes with a 150ish artillery shell finally.

What's your thoughts?

valpoboom
07-14-2014, 05:16 PM
A good mix works best for me. Some people enjoy only the big breaks but 3-6 200 gram cakes look awesome and they normally shoot faster and could add faster paces throughout your show. Variety is best to keep your audience engaged.

PyroJoeNEPA
07-14-2014, 05:17 PM
Most 200 gram cakes are best viewed when set off 1n multiples of 2, 4, etc. so the cake count doesn't really add up to a lot more "items per cue" whereas your 500 gram cakes "hold their own" as single items. Depending on your budget--look at the 500's as "featured items" & the 200's as "filler" or "low level accents". Artillery shells always are a good investment==especially if you get the better quality canisters. Also, don't overlook some Roman Candles--the Pyro Paintballs or Neon Tracers are awesome when criss-crossed from a couple locations and fired at one time. You didn't mention if you are hand lighting everything or using a firing system.
The only drawback to putting together a show is $$$$$$$! Never seems to be enough! Good luck with your efforts & let us know what you end up doing.

spanks_4
07-14-2014, 05:40 PM
I'm going to build my own firing system so that will allow me to watch some of the show and keep count *hopefully* to keep everything flowing like I want.

Fireworksrob
07-16-2014, 09:35 PM
2 of the 200 gram cakes at one time works and if they have a similar performance they blend well to look like a bigger cake. What brands are you thinking of using?

spanks_4
07-17-2014, 07:43 AM
Well I actually got a great deal on a firing system so no need to build one now yay!
The fireworks list is put together, mostly 200G stuff, but shooting two of the same off at a time I think will be just fine.
Everything is mostly Dominator stuff, but mixed in some Planet Pyro stuff as well.
I will have 230 (200G) cakes, 20 (500G) cakes, 100 strobes (might use 20/30 and keep rest for later), 144 roman candles, and 200 artillery shells.

200G
ANGLE OF ATTACK
ATOM SMASHER
BACKYARD PERFECTION
BRICKYARD BLOWOUT
CLOAK AND DAGGER
DIAMOND BACK
EXOSKELETON
HAMMER TIME
LIBERTY
PIT BOSS
ROWDY RAMPAGE
SNAFU
TACTICAL UNIT
TOUGH GUYS

500G
JACKED UP!
BRAGGIN RIGHTS
DETONATOR
PURPLE STORM
SOLID GOLD

ARTILLERY SHELLS
TRIPLE CROWN
ELIMINATOR

21ST CENTURY CANDLE 10 BALL (6 PACK)

PRO STROBE

Marine pyro
07-18-2014, 04:03 AM
One thing I liked if you have it is at it again by world class. It's a 200 gram cake and up near me they were like 1.95 a cake. I bought 18 of them and made 3 different little eruptions during my show. Wire 6 together and they don't cost anything. Just like PyroJoeNEPA said strapping a few 200 grams together makes a great filler.

cfdtk1
07-18-2014, 05:43 AM
Personally I would start out with 20 shells fast fused on the first cue of the opener to wake everyone up. Shoot doubles of the 200 gram cakes about 30 feet apart you may have to scab wire with the 500 gram cakes in the middle. Remember to use fan and zipper cakes. Towards the end start picking up the pace for a false finale then fast fuse all your remaining shells for the finale. IMO 18 to 20 minutes is the perfect show

spanks_4
07-18-2014, 08:00 AM
I'm still iffy on my artillery shells... I'm thinking of going with a couple Exterminator cases and something else cheap to start off the show. I am about to build 25-10 shot racks so will be able to shoot 200 shells.

valpoboom
07-18-2014, 07:31 PM
It sounds like you have good plans in place. Have fun.

Rick_In_Tampa
06-09-2016, 11:42 AM
This will be my first big back yard show and I'm just looking for some tips. Half of me says go all 500G cakes and the other half says use a lot of 200G cakes because you get more cakes per box per price.
I would really like this to last 20-30 minutes with a 150ish artillery shell finally.

What's your thoughts?

I know your post is a few years old, but I thought I'd chime in anyway.

I just saw a You Tube video where a guy made a finale board just out of 200 gram cakes. It was a small board too! I was thinking, this is going to be a pathetic finale! Boy was I wrong. He had a great assortment of cakes with different effects, and it really filled up the sky nicely. There's a place in Florida that sells 200G cakes with really neat effects. I already bought everything for this year; but I think I'm going to add a 200G cake finale board to my show next year!

I got a case of 24 - 200G cakes this year. I'm going to wire them to go off 4 at a time between some 500G cakes on my first board just to see how it looks. If it works as expected, I'm going to buy a few assortments of 200G cakes for next year. Like you said, they're relatively cheap compared to the 500G cakes, and they give you much more flexibility because you can intermingle them with everything else.

Hope you have a great show this year!

ilovecrackle
06-09-2016, 12:15 PM
I know your post is a few years old, but I thought I'd chime in anyway.

I just saw a You Tube video where a guy made a finale board just out of 200 gram cakes. It was a small board too! I was thinking, this is going to be a pathetic finale! Boy was I wrong. He had a great assortment of cakes with different effects, and it really filled up the sky nicely. There's a place in Florida that sells 200G cakes with really neat effects. I already bought everything for this year; but I think I'm going to add a 200G cake finale board to my show next year!

I got a case of 24 - 200G cakes this year. I'm going to wire them to go off 4 at a time between some 500G cakes on my first board just to see how it looks. If it works as expected, I'm going to buy a few assortments of 200G cakes for next year. Like you said, they're relatively cheap compared to the 500G cakes, and they give you much more flexibility because you can intermingle them with everything else.

Hope you have a great show this year!

I use a lot of 200 grams in my shows. There are some great 200 grams out there. I'm a big fan of the 25 shot 200 grams.
My finale last year consisted of probably 60%-70% of 200 grams with some 500 grams breaking over top. Afterwards, my buddy that did his pyro musical after my show told me he wish he had my finale. haha

djsmurf
06-09-2016, 10:57 PM
I use a lot of 200 grams in my shows. There are some great 200 grams out there. I'm a big fan of the 25 shot 200 grams.
My finale last year consisted of probably 60%-70% of 200 grams with some 500 grams breaking over top. Afterwards, my buddy that did his pyro musical after my show told me he wish he had my finale. haha

I agree with crackle, I pulled all 200g stuff from my personal show 2 years ago. Unless I do a 1.3 / 1.4 mix, never again. 200g work great with in many elements of an all 1.4 show.