PDA

View Full Version : Type 54 issues in Connecticut

Marine pyro
07-13-2014, 12:03 PM
Hello my name is cameron and I have been shooting 1.4 shows for my family on the 4th of July for the past 5-6 years. I am currently in the marine corps stationed over seas and will be done with my tour in October of 2016. I'm just inquiring about any issues that may come up while trying to put in for my type 54 license in the state of Connecticut. Please post any suggestions all information will be greatly appreciated.

displayfireworks1
07-13-2014, 12:48 PM
Issues as you put it are not state specific because the Type 54 is a Federal procedure, the procedure is the same no matter what state you live in. The Type 54 procedure is not contingent upon any state requirements. Granted some locations are easier than other depending on how many people are selling 1.3 near you.
Here is a Connecticut breakdown of 1.3 fireworks license holders by county.
Fairfield-2
Hartford-1
New Havan-1
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_Mcp02fZmXEg/TBFyu75xZFI/AAAAAAAAC9Y/io8KAMIdV74/s640/usa-map2.jpg
http://geology.com/county-map/connecticut-county-map.gif
Since you are overseas serving our county I will mail you my DVD package for free if you have a military address here in the states that will get it to you. Once you review the material you will have a complete understanding of the procedure. Send me PM here on the forums or email me at pyrotalk@gmail.com with your information. I have a few military people overseas following my videos and they tell me watching my fireworks helps them feel connected to back home.

Marine pyro
07-13-2014, 02:47 PM
It definitely helps me stay connected to back home. My whole family was highly disappointed that I couldn't be home to give them the firework show. I will have to send you my address and it is also greatly appreciated that you would send me the video for free. I have been watching your videos for the past two years and have learned a great deal. Last year I searched for months just for a uhaul location that sold the packing tape that you use. Once again displayfireworks1 I appreciate the help you have provided me.

cfdtk1
07-14-2014, 09:22 AM
First of all thank you for your service. I work for a fireworks company that does about 10 to 15 show in ct each year and I have my shooters license. First firework are eligall in ct and trying to get an atf license is out of the question. There are a few of us who have tried to obtain the type 54 and even though its a federal permit the atf has said no. If you would like to get on a crew when you return from service the company I work for is based out of new york

Again thank you for your service and be safe

Marine pyro
07-14-2014, 11:35 AM
I do know that they are illegal, but there are a large amount of people who shoot fireworks off anyways. I will still attempt to get it to see what happens I am just hoping due to my exstensive background they may allow me to get it.

Marine pyro
07-14-2014, 11:36 AM
Oh and also I will definitely look into the local fireworks companies near me and try to get ahold of you when I come home, thank you for the information.

displayfireworks1
07-14-2014, 11:37 AM
Your in Oklahoma and do fireworks displays in Connecticut, long drive. Of the few of you as you put it tried to obtain a Type 54 in Connecticut and the ATF said "No". I say show me the letter of denial. My guess is they told you this on the phone. The ATF is not beyond psychologically convincing you not to apply or to voluntarily withdrawing you application. This is why you do not call anyone and just submit the application as I outline in the package I sell. Then if an official tells you we will probably deny this because , this is Connecticut, you do not know how to shoot fireworks, you do not have a state certification, you live in a residential area, you are not in business, etc. You may then hear them say, now that I told you all that "What do you want me to do with this application? "Withdraw it ?" . The correct answer is "Please continue to process my application." This same scenario happened in Ohio, the person did exactly as I stated and not only that he told them he is not going to even apply for state certification because he felt he did not need that either. Around 85 days past the application processing he received his Type 54, to purchase and transport 1.3 fireworks.
I don't state all this to challenge the ATF, many ATF offices across United States do not know how some of this works. Here in Pennsylvania (over 300 ATF license) the ATF office people told me they receive calls from other state ATF offices on how to handle these things. In states like Connecticut, I am not saying it will be easy, there are only 4 fireworks in the entire state. They may put psychological pressure on you not to apply. I see one of my advertisers is located close to Connecticut, Fireworks Extravaganza. This is what you need is a fireworks distributor to work with you to obtain necessary documents to add to your application. But in return they want you to buy fireworks from them, preferably over $1000.00 a year. That number is a number I came up and does not reflect the view of any 1.3 fireworks distributor.

CTPYRO
07-14-2014, 12:00 PM
I live here in CT and shoot for Bay fireworks. We also shoot many shows here in CT,NY and RI. I'm going for my shooters license in Nov since I've gotten all the shoots I need. As for the ATF 54..... the only thing that should be a stopping block would be contingency storage period. Shooting them within the state is an entirely different hurdle and there are hurdles to climb over to legally shoot B. I applied back in 2011 and back then I guess I was not prepared as much as I am today. The lady from the Hartford office mentioned something about having 10 shoots, but that has nothing to do with obtaining the 54 since it's a license to purchase 1.3 and not to shoot them. I'm also invilved with the NHPA so my purpose would be for me to purchase my own 1.3 and bring it to NHPA sponsored events - we also have our own mag for storage. I also have friends out in PA which is a more fireworks friendly state so having the 54 would serve its purpose there as well.

cfdtk1
07-14-2014, 02:53 PM
Dave,

to answer your question I am not from Oklahoma I am from ct( never changed my profile). I have been around fireworks for over 20 years and an a lead shooter for the company I work for and have spent many hours with officials talking about the type 54. the laws in ct our very different than in PA where you live. Yes you have helped a lot of people get their 54 and that's great. My question to you is Dave is are you paying taxes on your video which in my opinion is a waste of money and who is going to be responsible when some idiot who plays with fireworks goes and buys your video, gets the type 54 goes and buys 1.3 and has never even touched them and hurts themselves or other people. Are you going to hold yourself resposable. Have fun with the lawyers when it happens.

Marine pyro
07-14-2014, 03:36 PM
He is not responsible he is just giving them the tools to get the license. Honestly a show can go wrong for anyone even well knowledged veterans. I just don't see how his guide to helping people puts him responsible if something goes wrong. He also puts out plenty of videos as guides to learn how to shoot fireworks and offers opportunities for people to come shoot shows with him. Also for ct they require you to shoot with professionals before acquiring a type 54. Not saying it won't be a challenge to get one but I'm also wondering how much a magazine costs?

CTPYRO
07-14-2014, 04:15 PM
He is not responsible he is just giving them the tools to get the license. Honestly a show can go wrong for anyone even well knowledged veterans. I just don't see how his guide to helping people puts him responsible if something goes wrong. He also puts out plenty of videos as guides to learn how to shoot fireworks and offers opportunities for people to come shoot shows with him. Also for ct they require you to shoot with professionals before acquiring a type 54. Not saying it won't be a challenge to get one but I'm also wondering how much a magazine costs?

I think the state requires 10 display shoots from what they told me back in 2011, but I had told them I'm not using the license to purchase and shoot in CT ( not worth all t he red tape you have to go through ). As for a magazine...for one it has to be at least 300ft away from any dwelling and ATF approved, inside, locks also have to be the kind that cant be tampered with.

mguerra
07-15-2014, 12:48 AM
A job box from Lowe's, unmodified in any way, using the appropriate locks, was approved by the ATF as my magazine. Less than $300.00. Limited to 50 pounds of explosive material as an indoor mag. Just for reference, a case of 72 3" shells has about 18-20 pounds of powder. A lot of 1.3 cakes have less than 10 pounds of powder. So with this inexpensive mag you can store enough shells and cakes to REALLY amp up a 1.4 show.
The ATF issues type 54 licenses. The states do not. CT does not tell the ATF what to do. CT May require you to shoot w professionals to get a state license, but they have no say on if the ATF issues you a federal type 54, there is WAY too much confusion in these forums about the role of the states versus the role of the Fed. One more time:
The federal government, through the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, vets you to POSSESS and STORE 1.3G explosives. They issue the type 54. They don't issue a license to shoot fireworks.
The various states issue licenses to USE or SHOOT 1.3G fireworks.
If your state or locality prohibits you from storing 1.3G , and you don't have a contingency storage agreement with a 1.3G seller, then the ATF won't issue the license. That is how state law can make it harder to get a federal license. But don't be confused and think the type 54 is issued by a state, it is not.

mguerra
07-15-2014, 12:59 AM
And by the way, for an indoor type IV magazine there are no distance requirements at all. Outdoor magazines do have distance requirements, based on the amount of explosive powder that they contain. It is not a flat 300 feet. Generally speaking an indoor type IV magazine may not be contained within an occupied dwelling, however there are some ways to get variances on this.

Overtrained
07-15-2014, 01:03 AM
A job box from Lowe's, unmodified in any way, using the appropriate locks, was approved by the ATF as my magazine. Less than $300.00. Limited to 50 pounds of explosive material as an indoor mag. Just for reference, a case of 72 3" shells has about 18-20 pounds of powder. A lot of 1.3 cakes have less than 10 pounds of powder. So with this inexpensive mag you can store enough shells and cakes to REALLY amp up a 1.4 show.
The ATF issues type 54 licenses. The states do not. CT does not tell the ATF what to do. CT May require you to shoot w professionals to get a state license, but they have no say on if the ATF issues you a federal type 54, there is WAY too much confusion in these forums about the role of the states versus the role of the Fed. One more time:
The federal government, through the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, vets you to POSSESS and STORE 1.3G explosives. They issue the type 54. They don't issue a license to shoot fireworks.
If your state or locality prohibits you from storing 1.3G , and you don't have a contingency storage agreement with a 1.3G seller, then the ATF won't issue the license. That is how state law can make it harder to get a federal license. But don't be confused and think the type 54 is issued by a state, it is not.

Best explanation I've read on the forum regarding the type 54.

Marine pyro
07-15-2014, 10:12 AM
I talked to my local atf agent today in regards to how far it would be for around 1000 pounds of explosives. He said around 150 feet from any building. Now if my state does not agree to this and they want it to be farther than I will have to obey their wishes. Lastly I agree with what mguerra said, that's exactly how the Atf explained it to me today and they never pushed me away at all or told me to not attempt to get a license. The gentleman on the phone actually seemed like a nice guy.

cfdtk1
07-15-2014, 01:36 PM

again thanks for clarifying that. Spent the morning at firehouse speaking with our local FM and he said even though its a federal permit the town might have an issue with it if they found out what it was even though I have 2 acres. Going with my plan of getting a letter from the company I work for or the club that I am a member of

Adam PA Artist
07-15-2014, 02:21 PM
Thanks for your info mguerra when i obtain the license i think i would apply for a job box indoor mag as-well ? Now what exactly do you mean by not be contained within an occupied dwelling ? Meaning if its a residence there can be no one living in the same quarters ? And what type of variances im just curious....

mguerra
07-16-2014, 12:25 PM
Adam, read this carefully:
http://www.atf.gov/files/publications/download/p/atf-p-5400-7.pdf
Yeah, read the whole thing. Cover to cover.