PDA

View Full Version : Flare or Torch

Bighorn
07-09-2014, 07:59 PM
Just seeing what everyone thinks. I use a torch if I need to slow the pace of shells down. I use a flare on a stick with fuse covers off if I have lots of shells and going to rip right threw them. Just wanted to see what everyone else does. Something alittle different to talk about

displayfireworks1
07-09-2014, 10:14 PM
I usually use a flare for hand lighting a display because of the secondary visual lighting it gives. I often said someone should design a propane torch that has a light on it. I have shot display taping the flare on a piece of one by board. This allows you to get some distance away from the fuse plus you get more out of the flare. For example say a 15 minute flare starts to burn your fingers when about 5 minutes are left. A lot of new people using flares think you get all 15 minutes out of the flare holding it, usually after 10 minutes I am looking for new one. I always like to grab a new one in the final minutes before lighting the finale.
http://mathed.utm.my/nurbiha/web/xpelajar/image/fusee.jpg

NWPA
07-09-2014, 10:16 PM
I'm old fashioned, I like the old way of shooting ! Never fired a show with electric igniters and probably never will at this stage of my life. lol

PyroManiacs
07-09-2014, 10:28 PM
Handfired every show this past weekend with flares.

We use flares that you can actually hold the full duration. They come with a cardboard tube handle as one piece.

Its actually great because you can use it for the whole roundabout 15 minutes of a show.

displayfireworks1
07-09-2014, 10:48 PM
I never saw flares with a cardboard tube handle. I would like to see a picture of those. Do you remember the name "Orion"?

fatcat
07-09-2014, 11:42 PM
Ditto's on what Dave said. Would love to find a flare that you can hold for more than 6-7 minutes without over heating the hand. Brand name please

Adam PA Artist
07-10-2014, 10:36 AM
I actually love using the torch with the small HD light i zip-tied to it. Thanks to Jay-Roll for that idea. Hey Gene when we gonna shoot a show together lol And thanks for sending me a request on Facebook.

PGH_Pyro
07-10-2014, 01:42 PM
I'm gas torch all the way . and yeah Jay showed me that trick, too but i've yet to put one on mine.
with all the breaks popping above, it's usually enough light to see what you're doing. i carry a small L.E.D. flashlight in the other hand for back up.

PyroManiacs
07-10-2014, 01:55 PM
Here it is.608

Bighorn
07-10-2014, 05:33 PM
Where does everyone get there flares

displayfireworks1
07-10-2014, 08:53 PM
You can buy these flares at an auto parts store. When you shoot a professional display , the company supplies them.

BluegrassPyro1
07-11-2014, 12:55 PM
I used a butane torch you could buy at any hardware store. I used a light on a head strap to see the fuses when I lit them and to keep an eye on stuff. I add a little extra quick fuse to the cakes I'm hand lighting to give me more time to get to a safe distance.

a9a1c1
07-30-2014, 08:19 AM
You can buy the flares Gene suggested from http://gatewaysafetyflare.com/Services.html you want the 20min with paper handle. It is the only place to get the paper handle ones.

CTPYRO
07-31-2014, 01:42 PM
Autozone sells the same ones we use on displays.....

PyroManiacs
08-01-2014, 07:24 AM
You can buy the flares Gene suggested from http://gatewaysafetyflare.com/Services.html you want the 20min with paper handle. It is the only place to get the paper handle ones.

Yea, Andy.... prob going to. Thanks.