PDA

View Full Version : Any Fellow New Yorkers Have Their Type 54….

Blackdevil77
06-22-2014, 07:43 PM
Like the title says. Any of my fellow New Yorkers have their type 54 license *on the hobbyist level?* I took the PGI training course a couple of years back in Black Lick PA and attempted on getting my type 54 back then, but gave shortly after the course. I was informed by a few guys there that contingency storage plans are not allowed in NY and the federal government won't give you your type 54 unless you can prove to them that you have proper storage. So basically, those in NY on the hobbyist level with your type 54, HOW IN THE HELL DID YOU DO IT???? I really want to get this license and if there is a way to do it that doesn't involve spending tens to hundreds of thousands of dollars, or me making a career out of shooting off fireworks, PLEASE let me know!!!

displayfireworks1
06-22-2014, 10:01 PM
You need to stop perpetuating rumors and hearsay. I am not sure if you purchased my ATF/DVD package or not, either way you need to complete the application process. I can not guarantee you will obtain a license, if you watch my DVD package you will have a complete understanding of the process. You also picked the worse time of the year to try to do this with July 4th so close. If what I am seeing on your location is true you are near two of my advertisers . Both International Pyrotechnic Importers and Fireworks Extravaganza are near you and may be able to help you. You are on the right track with the PGI course but people are giving you wrong advice.
http://pyrotalk.com/shopping.php

Blackdevil77
06-22-2014, 10:05 PM
You need to stop perpetuating rumors and hearsay. I am not sure if you purchased my ATF/DVD package or not, either way you need to complete the application process. I can not guarantee you will obtain a license, if you watch my DVD package you will have a complete understanding of the process. You also picked the worse time of the year to try to do this with July 4th so close. If what I am seeing on your location is true you are near two of my advertisers . Both International Pyrotechnic Importers and Fireworks Extravaganza are near you and may be able to help you. You are on the right track with the PGI course but people are giving you wrong advice.
http://pyrotalk.com/shopping.php

Thanks Dave. Pyrotechnic importers are actually very close to me. I can take a ride down there anytime. I have your DVD, I purchased it a couple of years ago, I just need new forms. I watched them in their entirety, very informative. After the fourth is over and the dust settles, I'm gonna try to get it for next year if possible. I'm not trying to get it before the fourth this year, I know that would be unreasonable to say the least.

displayfireworks1
06-22-2014, 10:34 PM
If you purchased my DVD package and International Pyrotechnic Importers is down the road from you. You should not have a problem. All of my 1.3 advertisers have agreed to help provide the required documents needed for the licensing procedure. A little ambition is need on the part of the applicant in the process also.

Blackdevil77
06-22-2014, 10:44 PM
If you purchased my DVD package and International Pyrotechnic Importers is down the road from you. You should not have a problem. All of my 1.3 advertisers have agreed to help provide the required documents needed for the licensing procedure. A little ambition is need on the part of the applicant in the process also.

Okay great. I'll take a ride down there this week. If they're too busy right now, I'll go back after the fourth.

rcerone1979
06-24-2014, 03:42 AM
If you have any questions or need help let me know, I live in upstate NY and no troubles at all getting my type 54.

Blackdevil77
06-24-2014, 04:32 AM
If you have any questions or need help let me know, I live in upstate NY and no troubles at all getting my type 54.

Awesome, what did you do? What requirements did you have to meet to get your type 54? Did you have to be a lead shoot in a certain amount of professional shows?

Overtrained
06-24-2014, 07:00 AM

Do you have a magazine set up or contingency storage? If the latter who do you use for your product?

Northern Sky
06-24-2014, 10:52 AM
There is also an active club in NY,

They put up one heck of a display at PGI in 2013.

rcerone1979
06-28-2014, 03:05 AM
I have contingency storage, I buy from IPI, and no I do not work for a NY company.

rcerone1979
06-28-2014, 03:11 AM
You only to be a lead shooter for your NY state license, which is separate from the type 54. Type 54 has no shoot requirements or lead requirements. They want to know what your purpose is to use it. I like to do open shoots and help out fellow pyro's at their shows and want to bring some bigger bang to add in. I am also starting my own business in NY which will be up in running by February of 2015. Would have been sooner except I am a procrastinator, lol.

displayfireworks1
06-28-2014, 09:07 AM
There my Type 54 man from New York to dispel all the rumors out there. Thanks for speaking up.
http://pix.epodunk.com/locatorMaps/ny/NY_273779.gif

Blackdevil77
06-28-2014, 09:14 AM
I have contingency storage, I buy from IPI, and no I do not work for a NY company.

You only to be a lead shooter for your NY state license, which is separate from the type 54. Type 54 has no shoot requirements or lead requirements. They want to know what your purpose is to use it. I like to do open shoots and help out fellow pyro's at their shows and want to bring some bigger bang to add in. I am also starting my own business in NY which will be up in running by February of 2015. Would have been sooner except I am a procrastinator, lol.

Thank you for the information!!!! So basically I can get the type 54, but I just won't be able to shoot the stuff in NY, but I would be able to buy the stuff at IPI, and bring the stuff to lets say, PA for an open shoot?

You just got me extremely antsy! I actually can't wait until after the 4th now to get the ball rolling on this lol. I'll e-mail Zach again about a week after the fourth and see how I can get the ball rolling.

Overtrained
06-28-2014, 01:32 PM

In another thread I posted I live in NY(long island) and want to shoot in PA. I planned on using my friends place In PA as a place of business on the ATF forms and I would go for the interview there in PA. If I can use my home address that would be a lot easier but I would still want a contingency plan in PA near my shoot location. In your opinion from going through this process in NY do you think that will fly on paper?

P.S. I know I can do it in PA, if I can go through this process in NY it would be easier.

rcerone1979
06-29-2014, 05:41 AM
My contingency is in PA, and they came up to Watertown NY for my Interview. I use my home as my place of business as I am a "hobbyist" so I don't need a shoot site or anything. I can still shoot at NY club events, only 1 person on site needs to have a NYS shooters certification. As far as transportation of your product to the shoot site is another monster. In NYS you also need an own and posses license to posses the fireworks. However, people at the club events sell product that you can buy at a discount price and shoot there. As far as driving through NY without an O and P license and transporting to a club shoot from your storage or place of purchase, I believe in NYS even if its not for commerce or under 1000 lbs, you still need minimum a non CDL c w/hazmat endorsement for transportation through our great state, regardless of federal laws.

Overtrained
06-29-2014, 06:32 PM
My contingency is in PA, and they came up to Watertown NY for my Interview. I use my home as my place of business as I am a "hobbyist" so I don't need a shoot site or anything. I can still shoot at NY club events, only 1 person on site needs to have a NYS shooters certification. As far as transportation of your product to the shoot site is another monster. In NYS you also need an own and posses license to posses the fireworks. However, people at the club events sell product that you can buy at a discount price and shoot there. As far as driving through NY without an O and P license and transporting to a club shoot from your storage or place of purchase, I believe in NYS even if its not for commerce or under 1000 lbs, you still need minimum a non CDL c w/hazmat endorsement for transportation through our great state, regardless of federal laws.

Ahh ok. But if my contingency is in PA and my shoot sites are in PA then technically I don't need to worry about NYS laws as i will not possess, travel with or use fireworks in this state. Federally I'm clear! That being said id like to use my home address so I don't have to travel to PA for the interview.

Blackdevil77
07-06-2014, 11:21 PM
I know the fourth is over, but I'm sure the dust is still gonna be settling for a week or so as there are still plenty of firework shows scheduled. When do you think is the best time to try and contact Zach and IPI would be about getting my type 54? A week? Two weeks?

Blackdevil77
07-07-2014, 05:48 PM
Dave, I was just watching your ATF DVD and I have a question about question 12 on the ATF form. It asks if the state you live in requires a permit for business and/or operations. There are 2 things to check, No, and Yes and if yes, you have to put down your state permit number. If you don't have the state permit, which is required in New York, will the ATF still accept the application?

What did you fill out for question 12 on the ATF application?

CTPYRO
07-08-2014, 04:29 PM

This has been an excellent topic... buying and transporting 1.3... as long as your not in commerce you do not need to be placarded... you need your 54 in the car should you ever get pulled over as that will at least not get you in hot water with officials

vegassalute
03-27-2015, 02:58 PM
How is the business launch coming rcerone1979? I lived in Watertown for nearly the first 40 years of my life and only now when I move to the other end of the country do I find another pyro-hobbyist taking great steps forward in H20Town! I come back often to visit though, hope to catch one of your shows! I'm using Dave's resources to earn my Type 54 here in Vegas as we speak.