PDA

View Full Version : Arkansas Bans Sky Lanterns

Jman
05-14-2014, 03:04 PM
I just found out the Arkansas legislature passed a ban on Sky Lanterns that went into effect Jan. 1st 2014. I learned this thru one of my wholesalers who informed us of the ban in a letter included with his 2014 price list. We are one of the most open states to fireworks. I hope this does not open the door for future bans. And as a retailer, what the hell am I supposed to do now with several cases of unsold sky lanterns? Is the legislative branch of the state of Arkansas and its memebers going to send me a reimbursement check...HELL NO!!! I have an idea...I'll just sell em anyway until they are gone and get my money back that I spent the last few years when the Legislative branch said...BUY THEM THEY ARE LEGAL! It pisses me off that our state government will allow us to spend money on an item to re-sell and then pass a bill in the dark of night declaring that I cannot sell them and consumers cannot use them! No warning, no grace period to sell or use up existing stock, nothing...according to them I should just throw them away and EAT IT!!! Whats next? I go buy a new GMC pickup and then they ban them because they were involved in more accidents than fords last year? Geesh...I get pissed when I spend my hard earned money on something looking for a small return and then I'm basically told to F#$king eat it!!!:mad:

PyroManiacs
05-14-2014, 04:52 PM
Wow, man.... what a load!!

Zach27
05-14-2014, 07:46 PM
Sky Lanterns are currently legal in my state NC as they are in many other Safe and Sane states although the only reason I could see them being banned is for a drought or a high fire danger not out of nowhere!! I wonder what the reason was to prohibit them?

jknepp1954
05-14-2014, 07:57 PM
I think i had read last year that Maryland has bans on them as well.

Jman
05-14-2014, 11:15 PM
I figure the reason was probably due to fire hazards. Arkansas if very rural and very hot and dry during the summer when most people use sky lanterns. I do understand that being a concern. What I don't understand is why I am licensed, permitted and registered with the department of finance and administration and received no phone call, no letter in the mail, no email, no text...nothing! Luckily I did not spend any money on sky lanterns this years as I have several cases left over. But I just can't believe they have allowed retailers in this state to stock up on a product while they knew these retailers would not be able to resale them. I am a small fry, but there are some pretty large retailers with over 25 locations and they may not be too happy when they find this out...I smell a possible lawsuit if the legislature does not allow the retailers to sell their existing stock. That could be the state bordering on committing fraud.

jknepp1954
05-15-2014, 05:53 AM
Not exactly the same - but we have a 2 week S&S stand in a city that does not allow the fireworks stands to sell them....but right beside us is a party store that has them. I just wonder if they even know that party store has?

Jman
05-15-2014, 06:46 PM
Its unfortunate, but if you own the title "fireworks store"...a lot of law enforcement, community boards, city councils local judges almost look at you and treat you like a terrorist. Seeing that I am a law abiding citizen it kind of pisses me off that we pyros often receive such unwarranted treatment. Its uncalled for and unnecessary. They probably know it jknepp, but they are a party store so its ok, you and I on the other hand, well...they're watching us:confused:.

ArkPyro1984
05-19-2014, 10:24 PM
Yeah, it's ridiculous. I found out a couple of weeks ago from the Springdale Fire Marshall when I was setting up my show Arvest Ballaprk.