PDA

View Full Version : Technique I use for Fusing Mortar Racks

Pyro Nation
04-16-2014, 05:27 AM
Did this video to explain how I do my mortar rack Fusing. I am a tape man not zipties.

How do the rest of you pyro's do your's?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3UVG0oLC7c

mguerra
04-16-2014, 11:01 AM
I like to fuse my consumer shells as doubles of the same effect. I leave the fuses long, and every two tubes have the same effect shell. I take the two fuses, line up the ends and then tape the chain fuse to them. This way you two of the same effect go up. It makes for a bigger pop more like 1.3. I don't like to see a bunch of shells in the air of different effects at the same time. You don't actually appreciate the individual differences that way. Same for the finale, I can't stand a massive burst of sky puke. Instead I like to fire a quick pace of four or five shells of the same effect in rapid succession so the audience can still appreciate the individual effects, in big multiple bursts, while getting a fast display of a lot of shells. Just my artistic philosophy.

PyroManiacs
04-16-2014, 12:02 PM
Cool intro Rob. I like those graphics.

Pyro Nation
04-16-2014, 01:11 PM
Well, these racks are going towards all sky puke... and EVERYWHERE...lol

If the shells dont have the effect on them there is no point in doubling them up...so SKY PUKE it is

PGH_Pyro
04-16-2014, 04:00 PM
not like the quality of effect is all that great on majority of consumer shells

mguerra
04-16-2014, 04:44 PM
Excalibur are labelled for effect so it's easy to put them together that way. For a consumer shell they are about as good as you are going to get. I have a 30 shot fan rack so I can put up ten triple shots of all same effect, one left, one right and one center. They look good that way!

PyroManiacs
04-16-2014, 05:28 PM
not like the quality of effect is all that great on majority of consumer shells

Consumer BALL shells anyway.

I think most cans are labeled with effects as well.

PGH_Pyro
04-16-2014, 07:09 PM
well the ball shells are usually more symmetrical / even than can shells but of course most can shells are louder and the breaks a little wider.

Westpapyro
04-16-2014, 10:26 PM
Did this video to explain how I do my mortar rack Fusing. I am a tape man not zipties.

How do the rest of you pyro's do your's?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3UVG0oLC7c
I use tape and mostly fuse the same way as you. Good video.

Excalibur are labelled for effect so it's easy to put them together that way. For a consumer shell they are about as good as you are going to get. I have a 30 shot fan rack so I can put up ten triple shots of all same effect, one left, one right and one center. They look good that way!
Last year I did make a rack for purpose of shooting three like shells at the same time. \|/

FRWKSFAN1
04-16-2014, 11:19 PM
mguerra...Good advice. In the past I've really not shot my shells in the fake finale or grand finale with much planning....
just loaded them randomly in the racks......I like your approach. This year I am going to arrange as you've indicated. Thanks for your post.

PyroJoeNEPA
04-17-2014, 07:41 AM
That roll in intro on your video rocked, Rob! You are getting to be quite the video production guru! LOL! Be well, brother & keep the videos coming!

Pyro Nation
04-17-2014, 09:48 AM
Thanks Joe!!

UniversalPyro
04-17-2014, 06:04 PM
That roll in intro on your video rocked, Rob! You are getting to be quite the video production guru! LOL! Be well, brother & keep the videos coming!

I second that Rob! Great production. Hey Joe! hope to see ya at Joyce's!!!

Matt
Universalpyro

PyroJoeNEPA
04-17-2014, 09:29 PM
I second that Rob! Great production. Hey Joe! hope to see ya at Joyce's!!!

Matt
Universalpyro

I'll be there Friday for open shoot & Sat for demo. See you for sure!

tinymagget
06-19-2014, 06:52 PM
Hey mguerra,, I agree I like same effect same time. This year I'm going all out. shot 2 then 3 in a slight fan followed by 6 shot fans. As many that I can put together by show time. Which at the rate I'm moving could be August or September. LOL I've been using plastic drinking straws to fuse the fans. Easy, fast, and NOT ONE has failed after over 10 test. Cut a hole in straw just big enough to insert about a half inch of fuse. Or more. Have all pointing same direction. Insert fuse a small amount of tape done. I've tested with half, 2, 4, 10, and 15 second a foot fuse. I prefer gray quick fuse. Get all lite at the same split second. (try that with your cobras). I've used quick match in the past and had a few items get by passed. Don't forget the hot smoking paper QM leaves behind. We can always use more smoke at our launch site. Think not. Getting back to the "all the same". I know its not "kosher" but I take all my cakes apart. (over 25 cases this year) To use in "THE SHOW" when I want them. Not the way some manufacturer has made them. Only cakes with same effect remain whole. With some speeding up of course. Be safe mike