PDA

View Full Version : HDPE Testing

NARF Exports
04-07-2014, 08:40 PM
I am trying to find out information on the testing of HDPE pipe.

ie.

physical characteristics of HDPE pipe
Working temperature (temperature during ignition)
Maximum pressure that the pipe can withstand
Maximum number of shots that can be fired by size of pipe
maximum and minimum outside temperatures under which the pipe can be used

If anyone can help with the source or if anyone knows this info please HELP!!!

Regards,

Pyro Nation
04-07-2014, 09:50 PM
There is no real number of shots that can be fired from it... I guess if you were to reload one after another it would be limited, but I have HDPE tubes from 2002 Im still using today

displayfireworks1
04-07-2014, 10:56 PM
Here is graph if you know how to interpret it.
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e212/scott473/hdpesize.jpg
From what I know about it, the pipe is not specifically designed for fireworks applications. There are industry standards for this type of pipe, but the standards are not specific to fireworks use. I caught these pipes on fire a few times over the years. If you reload multiple times in a row they will melt.

NARF Exports
04-08-2014, 07:25 AM
Here is graph if you know how to interpret it.
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e212/scott473/hdpesize.jpg
From what I know about it, the pipe is not specifically designed for fireworks applications. There are industry standards for this type of pipe, but the standards are not specific to fireworks use. I caught these pipes on fire a few times over the years. If you reload multiple times in a row they will melt.

Thank you,

Do you know if there ever were any testing done. Because from what I see it is an industry standard to use HDPE for the most part?

displayfireworks1
04-08-2014, 09:36 AM
Industry standard, my experience has been there is an industry standard to use whatever is cheapest. LOL If I was in the display fireworks business I would only purchase HDPE pipe. If you really analyze a fiberglass mortar over a period of uses it just slowly starts falling apart. The HDPE pipes are great, you can leave them out in all sorts of weather and with multiple use they hold up well.
In the consumer line of fireworks I think Jakes Fireworks is really on top of this with the supplied HDPE and external sleeve. If you look at these Jakes mortars from a users point of view, you can use them over and over. If you look at the mortars from a manufactures point of view, because they can be used again and again , they may start being used to fire shells that are not the original shells and are "other" manufacturing shells. I am also noticing enthusiast are starting to modify the original design of these HDPE mortars to make them fit racks , milk crates etc. These are known as "Poor Man Racks". It just a matter of time before someone half ass puts together one of these racks and their will be an untoward event. Thus, at the same time something good and bad has been created.

mguerra
04-08-2014, 09:56 AM
I would make the point that if you cut the square flanges off Excalibur mortars, leave the reinforcing sleeves on, and build a sturdy wooden rack to fit, you have built something far superior to a poor mans rack. A true poor mans rack is just screwing cardboard mortars down on to a wood plank. I have seen Excal mortars screwed down on to wood this way, in a poor man rack fashion. But using the reinforced mortars in a sturdy rack is actually superior to a regular wooden rack with standard, non-reinforced HDPE mortars! It is basically the same as any professional display rack used by the pro's. Of course people can figure out a way to half ass it, for sure.