PDA

View Full Version : Are girandolas still illegal?

wizard7611
02-27-2014, 10:09 PM
I was wondering this, because would if someone made the bases properly out of 100% recycled paper? Would they still be legal? What I mean by recycled paper is similar to this (http://epicfireworks.com/blog/2013/05/the-future-of-fireworks/) cake design by Epic Fireworks.:confused:

wizard7611
02-27-2014, 11:29 PM
I was wondering this, because would if someone made the bases properly out of 100% recycled paper? Would they still be legal? What I mean by recycled paper is similar to this (http://epicfireworks.com/blog/2013/05/the-future-of-fireworks/) cake design by Epic Fireworks.:confused:
here, I tell you about what I think they should be made of to be legal. My main question is if they are or not.

Jman
02-28-2014, 03:10 AM
There were several consumer versions on the market a few years ago. Most were sold as UFO reloadables. Came with a tube that had a dowel type rod in the middle of the tube and you'd slip the UFO over the rod to the bottom of the tube then light the fuse. Most of them I saw were actually pretty good.

Here is a vid with Dave himself explaining these to everyone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Umuifumz1ZI

PuroJon
02-28-2014, 01:56 PM
I still have about a case of the UFO girandolas. I thought they were kinda lame in a way, I wouldn't buy them again. Plus I think the CSPC banned them from retail sale, just like Brothers 'Motion Madness'.

wizard7611
02-28-2014, 06:14 PM
I still have about a case of the UFO girandolas. I thought they were kinda lame in a way, I wouldn't buy them again. Plus I think the CSPC banned them from retail sale, just like Brothers 'Motion Madness'.
why though? As you can see in the video if you pause it, they are made of that plastic. I know that professional homemade girandolas are made of thin bamboo sticks so the drivers aren't too powerful to break it. Ok, now would you think they would still be banned if they were made just like professional girandolas and came with launching tubes? I know this sounds weird, but someday when I grow older, I'm going to start manufacturing fireworks (my own brand), so I need to know this asap. -Thanks! :D

wizard7611
02-28-2014, 06:17 PM
when I said "like professional girandolas", I didn't mean 2-4 inch shells attached to them nor the special effects, just on how they're built.

PuroJon
03-03-2014, 02:21 PM
As I understand it what is banned is the import of them. There is no EX number for girandolas, so it stops there. Have heard a collection of reasons why: they have sequential aerial charges lit by a fused chain, improperly marked & packaged for consumer use, the potential for the carriage to land on someone's head, etc. I have not heard of any US fireworks manufacturer who makes 1.4g girandolas. I know there are private and club shoots that don't allow small girandolas (or stick rockets) during their shoots because of the trash left from the carriage; no one wants to drive a mower over the carcasses kind of thing.

Aside from all that, I don't think that girandolas can be down-sized to consumer levels and retain a quality of effect that's worth it. Just an opinion.

Jman
03-03-2014, 06:03 PM
I could buy them a few years ago from one of the wholesalers I deal with.

They were called "Alien Reloads - 3 reloadable girandolas/UFO's" Packed 12/3 ( 36 girandolas ) for $89. They no longer sell these to customers but I did see some still unopened in their warehouse about 2 years ago. Not sure if they still have them or not.