PDA

View Full Version : Fireworks Electric Match ( comments needed)

displayfireworks1
02-17-2014, 08:00 PM
I just released this video publicly on my YouTube channel. I am hoping some of the professional pyro-technicians from around the world will comment. I am also members of pyrotalk will also comment. Over the years I have seen fireworks companies do this two different ways. One will have the workers are the plant insert the electric match into the shells then load them into the truck. The technician just grabs the shells and loads them. Another company will give you a case of electric match and have you insert them on the shoot site. I am curious how this is done throughout the world. While the electric match is purported to be safer, it has also been the cause of many fireworks accidents. Please post whatever you know about this below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FPMZQlaooc
http://www.vk2zay.net/article/file/29
http://img.vip.alibaba.com/img/pb/816/573/363/363573816_673.jpg

SCPyrotechnician
02-17-2014, 11:12 PM
We e-match the shells on site, whether it be a pyromusical or a regular show. I'm not sure I would feel safe hauling 1.3 product that had already been e-matched. Too much that could potentially go wrong and have a match go off, in my opinion.

mguerra
02-18-2014, 10:39 AM
I don't think it is a problem, but here is a pertinent question. For anyone who routinely uses ematch, have you EVER found an ematch that you know was intact to have spontaneously ignited? Anywhere, anytime, under any circumstances? For the pyrogen to burn it must be exposed to DC electric current. How can a non-intentional electric current spontaneously occur AND apply itself to the leads of the ematches in the back of a truck? You can come up with some wild scenarios involving massive production of static electricity, somehow. Or maybe some kind of massive induction when driving by a huge energized coil or other ridiculous scenario. But even if you actually believe some spontaneous electric current could find its way to the leads of the ematches, you could just shunt them together. Safety is the priority but I don't see this as a problem. But if someone knows how an ematch could spontaneously ignite, or if it ever actually has, we need to hear about it.

displayfireworks1
02-18-2014, 02:15 PM
They are friction sensitive. Look at the two minute mark in my video from 2008. Problems come from top fuse cakes and a technician drops another cake on top of one when loading.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvVzZ-fWYsA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ca1RBNVHMWQ
It may be time for me to remake this video
Also look at 7:15 in the first video

mguerra
02-18-2014, 07:29 PM
Friction. Now THAT could be a problem in the back of a truck...

PGH_Pyro
02-18-2014, 08:11 PM
Have to definetly pick those cases up off the floor and not drag/slide them when unloading the truck !
I am always cautious to do this even if it's more back-strain . Don't wanna get blasted to kingdom come.
And handling e-match, I am very very cautious, of course with inserting into black-match and taping . I have been taught to keep the shroud in place . "It'll throw enough fire" I was always told.

PyroJW
02-18-2014, 09:34 PM
We match and drop each shell. I see it all the time that people match a case of shells on a table or match and lay them out on the racks. Not that is wrong or right. I feel it is safer to remove the shell from the case, match & drop it. In theory if there is a accidental discharge at least the shell would do as intended and go into the air. Not all leaders are created equally lol, all factories vary on there lengths. In a scenario of a long leader/e-port you could drop the shell and then match it, theoretically this would be the safest form. Ideally a short e-port would allow for more precise timing for scripted shows.

displayfireworks1
02-18-2014, 10:53 PM
I have this video running on youtube to get some comments from technicians around the world. Here is a copy and paste of one I found interesting.
In New Zealand you are able to transport them with electric matches attached if they are preloaded in mortars and capped off, and labelled as a complete product on the dangerous goods form.

mguerra
03-22-2014, 10:35 PM
At Pyro Extreme shooter school here in Mansfield Texas they are adamant that you do not pre-match any product. They said that there have been 18 deaths since 1998 by people pre-matching shells and then moving them, storing them, transporting, unloading them at the shoot site and so on. They had photographs and documentation of all 18 fatalities. I won't be doing it!

Blam Blam
03-24-2014, 11:53 PM
I typically consider the use of e-matches as shifting risk, not necessarily reducing it. I would say they are only 'safer' at the time of ignition but, are more dangerous the rest of the time. One of the biggest mistakes I've seen made with e-matches is removing the safety shroud to insert the e-match into the leader. I'd wager that most of the accidents were the result of e-matches being inserted with no shrouds.

E-Matches are friction (the head itself, not the shroud), static (keep them shunted) and static sensitive and deserve respect. I teach what I call the 'hot dog' method of installing e-matches, of course if you have a port use that. To 'hot dog' you cut a small hole in the leader preferably on the inside of a bend in the leader. Press the open end of the safety shroud against the black match you exposed by nicking the paper. Fold the leader over the safety shroud, keeping it tight against the exposed black match. Finally wrap the match wire around the shroud (hot dog) and leader (bun) to secure it.

The 'hot dog' method has never failed me and it is easy to see the match and remove it if necessary. Also, all it takes is a piece of masking tape to seal the nick in the leader and light the fuse with a torch.

smilli
04-01-2014, 12:12 PM
In Holland were not allowed to transport with the igniters attached, some times it is impossible for a large display to do it all on site so most of the companies do it anyway.

wizard7611
04-02-2014, 11:53 PM
Is it even safe to cut quick match with scissors?:confused: