PDA

View Full Version : Need Help Str8 Up Rack Design

joewad
01-24-2014, 04:02 PM
I have found some fiberglass plugged tubes that have an Outer Diameter of 2 and 1/8" (2.125) and are 12 and 3/4" tall. I am directionally challenged (may take me twice as long to get there), dimensionally challenged (Is that really 6 inches), left handed (what can I say, I am in my right mind) BUT I am able to cut a straight line. I have spent several hours trying to come up with a straight up rack of 20-30 tubes and can't do it. With side rails and inner rails separating each rows of course. Ive tried 2x6s, 2x8s and rails of 1x4s. I understand the quality and safety you get with HDPE tubes and there plans are no problem for me, but I'm bull headed and don't want to admit defeat. Wanting to shoot 60g canister shells. Can someone help me with this straight up design for the tubes I listed above?

PyroJoeNEPA
01-24-2014, 07:22 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-p7J4HV4Gak

Here is an excellent & simple rack build project Joel Robinson put on You Tube. I would advise [like he also suggested] making individual 10 shot racks. That way you can fasten them [end board] straight up, angled, any way you want & as many as you need. Single racks are a lot easier than 30 or 50 shot racks to haul around.
NOTE==the fiberglass tubes are smaller OD than the HDPE so his length measurements will be off a little. Lay out 10 tubes side by side & measure the overall length-or you can use a spacer.
My racks use several configurations:
Some are 5--spacer--5 ooooo=ooooo
Some are 3--4--3 ooo=oooo=ooo
Some are straight 10 oooooooooo

As for the tubes, I have several hundred tubes--both fiberglass and HDPE. I shoot ball shells, mines, canisters, etc out of the fiberglass & HDPE all the time. If I am shooting 1.3g 1.75" salutes--they will only go in the HDPE for obvious safety reasons.
Don't be discouraged--I can't cut straight with a table saw LOL!! But I still manage to get my racks built. Let us know how you make out.

PyroManiacs
01-25-2014, 12:01 AM
There is another individual in this forum who actually has blue-prints of a few different styles of build. He was supposed to send them to me last summer, but I have not heard from him since.

wizard7611
01-25-2014, 12:59 AM
I never use spacers in my racks. I would only recommend them for 3+ inch tubes. Never use fiberglass tubes!!! No offense but they suck. Save your racks and use HDPE tubes. You can order them from Pyroboom.com:cool:

PuroJon
01-25-2014, 02:44 PM
We use fiberglass guns almost exclusively for below 4"-6". Never had any problem with them at all. As I understand it they are more common in Europe than HDPE guns.

I would never try and build or use single racks for 20+ tubes. There are safety and (and definitely legal issues!) along with simple convenience of loading and storage.

I built the below 8-gun racks for about $14 each, tubes included.

wizard7611
01-25-2014, 03:40 PM
We use fiberglass guns almost exclusively for below 4"-6". Never had any problem with them at all. As I understand it they are more common in Europe than HDPE guns.

I would never try and build or use single racks for 20+ tubes. There are safety and (and definitely legal issues!) along with simple convenience of loading and storage.

I built the below 8-gun racks for about $14 each, tubes included.

The last time I used fiberglass tubes, my rack blew apart due to the tubes. This is why I will never use one again. the rack barely ruined my show, but for safety reasons, I use HDPE tubes.

PyroJoeNEPA
01-25-2014, 04:08 PM
I never use spacers in my racks. I would only recommend them for 3+ inch tubes. Never use fiberglass tubes!!! No offense but they suck. Save your racks and use HDPE tubes. You can order them from Pyroboom.com:cool:
I don't know why you would make a statement like that? Fiberglass tubes have been around a long time--and like anything else, there are good ones & not so good ones. The fiberglass tubes you get in shell kits are usually "less that ideal" in that they are rough finished & have a rosin plug on the end--as well as having "splintery" ends. I just bought 50 fiberglass tubes [Dominator] from a vendor that have a nice smooth gloss finish & have wood end plugs. Very nice yellow tubes & cost $74.00 with the shipping.

If you can shoot a 16" shell out of a fiberglass gun I don't see any reason you can't shoot a 1.75" class C shell from them with confidence. I know a lot of people have personal preferences--me ---I use them both with no issues.
As far as spacers go, they are not required unless you are "in commerce" & shooting a show commercially. Then you fall under the NFPA regs for spacers vs tube diameters. I use spacers [not between individual tubes, but in a block of tubes] to take up space & allow me to keep my 1.75" & 2 1/2" racks the same length so they can be end boarded easily. I've seen guys shooting 8" shells with four tubes in a rack with no spacers. Personally, I wouldn't do that--
Spacers will help in the event of a flowerpot--but will not guarantee you don't have tubes flying everywhere. That it is important to build your racks as solidly as you can.

PuroJon
01-25-2014, 04:34 PM
Completely agree with PyroJoe on this one... Like him, I'm not talking about re-using consumer packed 1-off mortar tubes I'm talking about professionally made pyro tubes that can stand up to some serious abuse. At the 1.4g consumer level the #1 failure cause of any gun is loading upside down cans. Steel is the king, but and have you ever had to move or carry any steel tube over 10"? Jeez... you need a backhoe or 4 Jethros for those puppies! Because of shipping weight and material stability through all temperature ranges fiberglass is just fine for me whether 1.3g or 1.4g.

joewad
01-27-2014, 06:52 AM
I have seen the video mentioned and took good notes. He states the base board is 2x3. I cant find that size anywhere, what is the actual dimensions of a 2x3. Secondly, my issue is "snugging up" the tubes with rails when the OD of each tube is 2and 1/8" (2.125). How can I accomplish that? I've tried plans with 2x4's, 2x6s etc. PS: Thaks for all the posts so far......joe

PuroJon
01-27-2014, 01:26 PM
I sent you a PM with the measurements and sizes, but don't fear minor "slop" in a rack when it comes to the tubes fitting tightly. When I pick them up the tubes rattle a bit in the racks and that slack has never created a problem for me. I have seen others shoot from racks with much more slack in them then I leave, and many people prefer that slack so its easy to get the tubes out. With a little slack its much easier to get the tubes in/out for cleaning after a shoot.