PDA

View Full Version : new years eve igniter bust

Melp
01-01-2014, 01:11 PM
Okay I give up on the igniters that Im using.

I had a small display worked out for new years, it had 50 color shells 3 cakes and a couple of fountains. I started out with the 2 fountains and then set off two of the cakes then one of the 10 racks I had that one fused with cannon fuse to slow it down then a cake called the dark moon then the last 10 rack a small pause and then the finale.
Thats what I had in my mine.
I spent about 3 hours fusing and mounting all my stuff to a sheet of plywood, I took extra care to make sure all my taping was perfect. On my 30 rack I used a penny wrapper filled with cut up quick fuse also the 10 rack with the cannon fuse. The cannon fuse doesn't lite well with the igniters I use. My firing system is a Quantum 2x6 with the nichrome igniters. I bought the igniters from Quantum firing systems the say they are falcon but when I got them they were just in a plastic bag with no name. Before I put it out in the snow I checked all my modules to make sure they would fire and had continuity. So now that you know how it was set up this is what happened I turned on the the remote pushed #1 nothing pushed #2 nothing so on and so on. I went out and lit them by hand except the finale lite by remote.
So am I not connecting the fuse to the igniters correctly I put the fuse under the wire is it suppose to be on top. It was only 11 degrees out was that it. I could see the igniters glow but no fire.
Im sure someone has run into this what am I doing wrong

Bighorn
01-01-2014, 02:46 PM
Is the igniters you used have a white plastic end on it. If so you need to put the fuse on top of wire then close. I just used some Christmas night and didn't have any to fail. Make sure you close jaws on fuse firmly.

Melp
01-01-2014, 04:30 PM
Yes they have a orange wire with a white clip and I did put the fuse under the wire.

mguerra
01-01-2014, 05:38 PM
You should put the fuse on top of the wire. It is easy to break the wire, here's how: As you put the fuse in the clip, don't just push it in there. You can snag the wire and break it. Same if you try to shove the fuse under the wire. Open the clip, visualize exactly what you are doing, advance the fuse in to the clip and above the wire. Now close the clip down on the fuse, which will push it down in to contact with the wire. Make sure that as you do this the fuse is centered in the little notch. If you put too much fuse in the igniter, it won't close properly. I try to just put enough fuse in so that no more than 1 mm. is extending beyond the wire. I also cut the fuse on an angle, with wire cutters, so that powder is showing, and place the cut side with the powder ON the nichrome wire. I use these igniters myself and you need to be very precise when installing them. After you close them down on the fuse, tape the igniter clip tightly shut with a piece of masking tape. A lot of 1.4 fuses are a little small in diameter and the clip won't grip these small ones tightly. The clip can actually fall off the fuse during handling and transport, or by the wind, or gravity. If I have a small diameter fuse and the clip is not gripping tightly, I tape the clip with the fuse in it, to the cake, mortar tube or whatever so that the clip cannot flop around or move at all, dislodging the fuse. I NEVER leave a fuse just dangling out in mid-air with an igniter hanging off of it. Even a normal thickness fuse. Have you used the QuantumFire before, or was this the first time? Remember that on QF modules, continuity is good if the test lights are OFF when you power on the module! I have also forgotten to power on the module and/or the remote when I have done my set-up long before shoot time and powered them off to save battery juice. These igniters have too much bare wire showing at the ends, I cut them short so that once they are in the spring terminals on the module, only insulation is showing, no bare wire. This prevents adjacent igniter wires from shorting each other out. This should cover most of the potentials problems that may have occurred. Hope it helps. By following all these steps, I never have igniter problems with these igniters.