PDA

View Full Version : Matchcrackers 1.3?

boo2blue
12-23-2013, 09:31 PM
So I was wondering that if I got a type 54 license, would I be able to purchase matchcrackers? Are they 1.3 items in the US, or do you have to import them from china or EU? I watch thechemist45's YouTube videos, and he has many imported matchcrackers and flash bangers. Just wondering because I have never seen any people besides displayfireworks1 and chemist45 who have any matchcrackers in the US. Also wondering it you need a type 20 license to make gunpowder firecrackers.

displayfireworks1
12-23-2013, 11:23 PM
Most likely not in California but if you look around at various fireworks locations you can find these match crackers. As far as making fireworks I will borrow this next paragraph from Skylighter website
What Does US Federal Law Say About Hobbyist Fireworking?
Fortunately, US Federal law is pretty straightforward and simple when it comes to
hobbyist fireworking. Once again, refer to the ATF Orange Book:
Page 64, Paragraph 37. “When is a manufacturer’s license required?”
“Persons who manufacture explosives for their personal, non-business use
are not required to have a manufacturer’s license. However, no person may
ship, transport, cause to be transported, or receive explosive materials unless
such person holds a license or permit.”
Page 68, Paragraph 72. “Who must comply with the storage requirements?”
“…all persons who store explosive materials must store them in conformity with
the provisions of Subpart K of the regulations…”
Pages 47-53, Subpart K – Storage
While it is a simple and short paragraph, their are many issues not addressed.
Legal Storage
This section details storage which is in conformity with the regulations and which
will satisfy the BATFE’s requirements. Because no license is required by the
BATFE, this storage might never be known about by them or inspected by them. But if a person is caught storing explosives without such compliant storage, the
BATFE then has the right to prosecute that person. And, typically, they do. These
are the cases you hear about in the news if the Feds are prosecuting somebody:
they were storing explosives illegally, or they caught the person transporting
explosives without a license or permit.
This is another important point. While a person can make explosives for their
own personal use, provided that they store them in a compliant manner, they
may not transport them legally unless they have an ATF license or permit. And,
that’s even across town to the test-shooting site.
Read the "Orange Book" for free with this link
http://pyrotalk.com/pdf/2007-BATFE-orange-book-web.pdf

jknepp1954
12-24-2013, 11:52 PM
Unless I am mistaken, Match crackers are illegal in the USA = i don't even think they are 1.3.

wizard7611
02-13-2014, 12:42 AM
probably because they can start fires easily and, with friction, are too easy to light. These could easily be mistaken as flares.

displayfireworks1
02-13-2014, 01:57 AM
It is most like because people will think they are a torch and just hold them in their hand. These things occasionally make it into United States but I was not impressed by them

PGH_Pyro
02-14-2014, 03:43 AM
they are stupid-expensive when i've seen vendors with them . you're paying extra for the gimmick and exotic(to this country) fusing.

pyrosamm
09-07-2018, 08:37 PM
match crackers are primarily made for the foreign markets such as poland, germany, and denmark. This is why you typically see the words "petard" all over the packaging. I have what i consider to be the largest match cracker collection in the USA lol. While living in Liuyang for a year and a half, my fiances family lived in match cracker central just about 10 miles from the International fireworks trade and exhibition center. My collection consists of 234 different packs. They range in size and length anywhere from standard cracker size to 1 1/2 inches in diameter and 8 inches long. The bigger ones are very dangerous and contain more flash powder than a 3 inch can salute. Most use plaster as end plugs which makes things even more dangerous. You will occasionally find them at the PGI, Gary Lilich used to have a variety of them but that was many years ago. Back when pyrobilia was a thing i was selling a bunch of my match crackers but even then i still have well over 200 different boxes of these things lol

Kenny East
09-08-2018, 05:29 AM
If you are in a pyro friendly state, you can find them... Not super common and most don't live up to the cost. There are a few exceptions, some with great reports or multiple reports. But as mentioned above, most are made for European market, don't have English on the package... The one box I have is labeled as 1.4G and has matching U.N. designation

RalphieJ
09-08-2018, 01:39 PM
Back in the '80's my neighbor then was a German citizen on assignment here. Upon returning from a holiday visit he smuggled a bunch of them in his suitcase!. All were German made, 3/4" in diameter and 4", 5" & 6" long, all marked "grob" and/or "canon schlagen" (look up the translations, they're comical). Various colors for the different lengths: red, blue, green, purple were black powder, black pitch plug on one end and with a perfectly crimped and smooth end with the match mixture. Not easy to light on a matchbook, so we used a lighter. They were relatively wimpy (loose and coarse BP that could be heard when shaken), but the bright orange 4" were flash and packed a hell of a wallop. He also had hemp twine-wrapped boxes, approx. 2" square, heavily laquered, with a Jap-type time fuse that was tipped with BP slurry. Again, loose, coarse BP, these looked potent but were very disappointing.

PYRODAN
09-08-2018, 10:01 PM
This is why you typically see the words "petard" all over the packaging.
LOL, My garage cats name is Petarda!!

Droopaloop
09-11-2018, 08:55 PM
i recently bought some match crackers. they were 1.3. can't say for ones you might find elsewhere but the ones i got were very energetic, and surprisingly cheap.