PDA

View Full Version : How would you deal with this?

Playingwithfire85
12-23-2013, 01:05 AM
We seem to be having some trouble here locally in Michigan. I have talked to several people locally who have stated that cops are telling them to stop lighting fireworks off even if they are lighting them off on legal days and legal hours claiming people have called and made complaints. I have checked local ordinances and state laws and both state that fireworks are not to be limited during specific times and dates. I am just curious if they do give out a fine for lighting them would it stand up in court? Or simply should I just keep a copy of the ordinances and laws on hand for the officer to update his knowledge?

mguerra
12-23-2013, 01:58 AM
I'm not a lawyer, nor a police officer. It's possible that there may be ordinances regarding noise or disturbing the peace that might apply, even if there are not firework specific ordinances in play.

Playingwithfire85
12-23-2013, 02:10 AM
The noise ordinance in my area states no noise after 10 PM on normal days and 11 PM on nine federal holidays and new years is 1 AM.

displayfireworks1
12-23-2013, 09:49 AM
I would recommend to these people to try to comply with a police request as much as possible. You have to remember just because something is legal does not mean you will not still get in trouble for using it improperly. To use an analogy, alcohol is legal, however if you drink too much and walk down the street intoxicated in my state you can be arrested for public drunkenness. Police are smart with this sort of thing, using the fireworks example you mention, they will not cite you for using fireworks, they will cite you for Disorderly Conduct, and they will embellish the complaint with all sorts of safety and inconsiderate issues. Now that consumer fireworks are legal in Michigan, they are smart enough not to cite you for simply using fireworks. I had a fireworks permit at a location once with the fire department present, a police officer showed up and told me they received calls from a farm stating the horses are going crazy with all the fireworks noise. He told me to stop shooting fireworks. Luckily, the police showed up at the end of the display. This was hobby fireworks shoot and we were shooting fireworks all day long over and over. When the police showed up, I knew I had to own some of it so I stopped.
What is occurring in Michigan is a great example of the need for public education with short public service commercials on TV. Short public service commercials using examples to teach people how to be safe and courteous when using the now legal fireworks. This is where a portion of the new tax money and profit the fireworks distributors are making should be directed. They can consider it an investment and use Michigan as an example of how to legalize fireworks in all states. There are times I thought of making a video like this.

PuroJon
12-24-2013, 01:20 AM
Have you tried calling the office of the Chief in the police jurisdiction? Dial them up and ask for clarification. If it sounds wonky, call the Prosecutor's office and explain the issue. Between those 2 phone calls (be prepared to leave messages for call back) you might just find out what's up.

If you get a 'all clear' from the CoP of the jurisdiction it will go a long way in buffering any hassles from patrol officers. "I spoke with CoP XXX XXXX and he said..." will usually get mucho attention from a patrol officer. Just my opinion...

Playingwithfire85
12-24-2013, 01:31 AM
Ok so they basically make a law stating we can use them then use the "fire safety tax" to fund officers to come and tell us we can not shoot them. If you have Scrooge for a neighbor it basically means even if you abide by laws set forth for fireworks you have no rights to ignite them. Doesn't necessarily make sense.

CafreakinBOOM
12-25-2013, 03:33 AM
I think its a great Idea to make a Video Dave. Oh and regarding lighting fireworks, please remember to show respect, and look for area where you don't get on peoples nerves........*\ to light the fuse.

Therefore people that love Fireworks , like you and I, don't give off the wrong impression.

Enjoy that your state allows fireworks..... My state does not.

GET READY FOR NEW YEAR.......LIGHT ONE FOR PYROTALK.COM HAPPY NEW YEARS EVERYBODY:o

wizard7611
01-25-2014, 03:56 PM
We seem to be having some trouble here locally in Michigan. I have talked to several people locally who have stated that cops are telling them to stop lighting fireworks off even if they are lighting them off on legal days and legal hours claiming people have called and made complaints. I have checked local ordinances and state laws and both state that fireworks are not to be limited during specific times and dates. I am just curious if they do give out a fine for lighting them would it stand up in court? Or simply should I just keep a copy of the ordinances and laws on hand for the officer to update his knowledge?

I would catch them whenever they seem to stop somewhere to get something and bring the police with you:cool:

Jman
02-22-2014, 05:38 PM
There are many people who want to outlaw fireworks in your community and states. If someone calls the cops or the fire dept and they come out and ask you to stop, respectfully explain yourself and see what they say. If they still insist that you stop because you are disturbing others in your area, then do as they ask and stop. Maybe pick their brain a bit and find out what they deem as acceptable times to shoot fireworks in your area. At the end of the day these public servants are going to side with the pyro's or the anti pyro's. If you are nice to them, respect them and comply with their request it may just pay off somewhere down the line. Lets say some in your area want to end the use of consumer fireworks. You can bet that the city councils are going to ask the opinions of their local police officers and fire departments. Whether fireworks stay legal for you to use can hinge on what these officers have to say. What they will remember is you being nice to them and doing what they asked you to do. Hopefully they will remember you inviting them out sometime to take part in your displays. I always invite my local law enforcement and fire department to my shows and many of them show up with their families. What they will remember about the anti pyro is a smug bitter hard to deal with citizen. They will remember someone who told them they better get down their pronto and put a stop to that menacing neighbor. They will also remember that when they showed up you were nice to them and in fact you were not menacing at all. You were just having good clean fun with family and friends and next time you want them to come be a part of the party. Like I said, if it ever comes to a vote for fireworks being legal or not in your area, the decision could depend on how you treated and responded to these officers when they showed up.

BTW, I live in Arkansas where it is legal to own and shoot all 1.4g class C fireworks year round. However, I also have much compassion and consideration for my neighbors and their wishes. Luckily for me, most of my neighbors just pull a lawn chair and yell "LIGHT IT"...lol. But when I know my neighbor a half mile away goes to bed at 10 pm and has to be at work by 6 am on weekdays, I make sure I am done before 10 pm. I have the right to shoot fireworks and my neighbor respects that. He also has the right to get a good nights rest so he can function on his job each day and I respect that. Just use common sense folks.

N3OQO
02-22-2014, 09:47 PM
I think a video on this topic would be a great idea Dave! A buddy of mine was setting off lady fingers a couple of years ago in his backyard here in a Pittsburgh neighborhood, when suddenly a lady cop comes down his driveway. She said we had a complaint about you setting off fireworks. He had several strings laying there on the patio table. She said knock it off and put those away, and he agreed to do so, and she left.

PGH_Pyro
02-22-2014, 10:27 PM
Yeah even in a state like PA where fireworks are quasi-legal / ground based fireworks, the cops will *sometimes* just let it slide or tell you to stop w/o the confiscating of them . In Pittsburgh, the city police have designated "fireworks cars" on July 4th that are 2 officers in a car that are dispatched to anywhere where 911 is getting complaints of "large displays" (aerials / cakes ) . They will take/confiscate stuff if they see a bunch . Moral of the story is, don't have your whole stash outside I guess . Lol .

Playingwithfire85
02-23-2014, 09:29 AM
The worst part is people will call in my area if i light a smoke bomb or sparkler for my son. Some people eventually gotta take a stand because before mortars were allowed I could light off anything of the fountains, smoke bombs, and sparklers all year long without complaint. Seems like everyone is on edge and will call about anything anymore.

PGH_Pyro
02-23-2014, 01:28 PM
something i've suggested to Pittsburgh city council is that they allow people to shoot their aerial fireworks in designated areas like former steel mill sites or any big open field thats away from the usual inhabited buildings/people/etc.
there are lot of areas like this along the rivers where industry once thrived and now, just a lot of idle real estate .
that or even the city parks . have a cop hanging out to make sure things dont get out of control, if you have to, even.
people are going to shoot their fireworks no matter but bring it above ground , I say .

Playingwithfire85
02-24-2014, 01:47 AM
That would definitely be a good idea to have designated areas. I usually take mine outside the city. I lit a few Excalibur shells on New Years and regretted it because some of the hanging stars almost landed on roofs. It probably wouldn't have hurt anything since the snow was a few inches deep but its not a good feeling to see it happen either way. I have talked with a few people and have come up with two separate shoot sites one of which the police won't have issues since I am friends with everyone on the force and graduated from high school with them and the other is in the middle of no where in a wide open field lacking vegetation.

Jman
02-24-2014, 02:31 PM
I live out in the country so I don't have to deal with near the opposing forces that some of you do. I'm sure I don't understand what some of you have to put up with. Where I live the town has 300 people. I can't imagine living where there are 1.3 million. I'm sure there are plenty of complainers in that group. I sympathize with those of you who encounter people problems when shooting your fireworks. But, what goes around comes around. Next time they do something that annoys you, call the cops on them.:D