PDA

View Full Version : What fireworks effect is this?

displayfireworks1
12-14-2013, 10:42 AM
This is video from Australia at the International Fleet review. (Foti).
What is the name and affect of the shell that is the very first part of the video. Starting at 2 seconds? I really like how it looks breaking left and right.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plGoykR6QME

blackcat1
12-14-2013, 03:12 PM
Not a shell. Those were flares launched from an aircraft. You can see the smoke contrails from the flares roll in the turbulence coming off the wingtips of the plane. You can also see that the flares are being fired progressively further from the camera. This may have been from the same plane that the "bomb run" as part of the air raid segment that started at the 6:45 mark. You can see the plane flying right to left and out of frame at about the 7:30 mark.

PuroJon
12-15-2013, 11:05 AM
Great catch blackcat1. But I don't see any planes flying, I only see the airplane shadows projected on the opera house.

Pyro-T
12-15-2013, 11:48 AM
Could also be a model airplane or copter.

blackcat1
12-15-2013, 03:44 PM
Great catch blackcat1. But I don't see any planes flying, I only see the airplane shadows projected on the opera house.

It is in the extreme upper left-hand corner at the 7:30 mark. There are other videos taken from the other side of the bridge that more clearly show it flying over the harbor and crossing over the bridge as part of the air raid segment.

Could also be a model airplane or copter.

Definitely not a helicopter. The wash from the rotors behaves differently than that of a fixed wing. While it is true that it could be a model airplane, from the description of the video the RAN dedicated 7 warships for use during the display. This was to celebrate their fleet review. I cannot imagine why they would choose a model airplane to show off their capability and balance that with 7 warships.

Think also about liability: You have piloted aircraft and you have models and/or drones at your disposal. You are going to launch flares from it in some proximity to a huge crowd of tourists. Your goal is to celebrate the assets available to you and show them off to your citizenry. This includes showing off training, not just assets. If something were to go wrong would you be more liable or less liable if the aircraft deviating from course and exploding in the crowd were piloted?