PDA

View Full Version : Pre-shoot safety test

mguerra
12-06-2013, 08:16 PM
I had a low break once and every star started a small fire. I ran so hard and fast putting them out it nearly killed me. It could have set the whole county on fire. Scared the living sh.. out of me. Since then I have a new policy. I do a grass fire test before any shoot at my house. I go out to the driest biggest clump of grass around and hit it with a MAPP torch. If it catches on fire, I don't shoot. Needless to say I have water or a fire extinguisher with me when I do the test. Lately in Texas we have had a drought and it has been very rare to actually have a safe day. In fact, we shoot every time we get a little rain! My wife calls it Rain Celebration Fireworks…
If we have a really big field and short grass, and want to put on a show, we will still do a shoot regardless, but we water down the firing area and have three people with fire extinguishers on the ready. If the grass is tall, and the fire test is positive, it's a no-go for sure.
If we want to, sometimes we get the VFD to come out with a truck. We flip them a couple of hundred bucks and tell them to bring the whole family.

displayfireworks1
12-06-2013, 08:42 PM
Maybe in Texas things are done differently. Here in Pennsylvania, I have to always prepare for rain. LOL
You see what state is 117 on this list. LOL
http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/sotc/service/national/Statewideprank/201109-201109.gif

mguerra
12-06-2013, 10:48 PM
It is truly frightening how dry it usually is around here. We went four years and never shot once. Drought is the norm, wet is the exception.

PuroJon
12-07-2013, 12:31 PM
A couple of 'Super Soakers' can be your friends.

mguerra
12-08-2013, 07:39 PM
What is the capacity of a Super Soaker?

PuroJon
12-09-2013, 01:47 PM
We have 3 that are about 1L, they are made with up to over 6L. Its not enough to put out an inferno, but they can shoot up to 50 ft.

mguerra
12-09-2013, 03:21 PM
I ordered one to try. And got the 100 ounce backpack/magazine. If it works I'll get several so we have a crew of folks with water guns at our shows.

PuroJon
12-09-2013, 04:01 PM
For me the distance they can shoot is one thing that can work in your favor. If a side fire ignites 50+ ft away it has time to get burning before you can make it to the burn point. With a Soaker you can spray at it before it gets burning worse. Its not enough water to put out a large fire by any means. But its darn handy at times. We use them to spray on spent cakes that start burning, and spray at/in mortar tubes we are suspicious of. Lots easier than trying to stamp out tiny brush fires or cut open spent cakes to get at the embers. Bring a 5 gallon water jug to refill them. A good shot at a suspicious mortar tube will darn near fill it with water.

Kids love 'em too (smile). Give a kid (or me) a Soaker and put them on fire watch. You will have a fan for life.

PGH_Pyro
12-10-2013, 05:34 PM
as I saw in one of Dave's videos, perhaps have the fire dept hose the surrounding radius area down or do it yourself if its your back-yard/etc. I have done this a few times even for lighting a few fountains. less worries/liability, this way .

mguerra
12-11-2013, 11:12 AM
Yep. We do a wet down.