PDA

View Full Version : auto sequence timing error

mguerra
12-06-2013, 03:32 PM
The Sequencefire 32 system allows you to set a different time delay between every cue. You push one button to start the sequence and all the cues fire in order automatically with your defined time delays between cues. So I set up a show that alternated cakes with mortar racks. The cake timing is easy to get from videos. To time the mortar racks I simply measured the length of fuse and multiplied it times the seconds per minute fuse speed. So for example for a ten shot mortar rack that uses a 24 inch piece of fuse that burns at 30 seconds per foot should take 60 seconds to burn. So I programmed all my cues according to this concept. All the mortar racks went off much faster than I calculated, and not from pre-ignition. Watching Dave's videos of how black match becomes quick match when encased in a paper tube, I got an idea. I wondered if the visco fuse would speed up like this when wrapped in masking tape to the shell fuses. This was all Excal cans by the way. So i just went out side and took some 30 second per foot visco fuse and masking taped it to some pieces of the Excal fuse exactly like I fuse up a rack. When I lit it, the first part of the visco burned at normal speed until it hit the first masking tape junction to the shell fuse. As soon as the fire got in to the masking tape, it shot forward like quick match! Then when it got to the end of the tape it burned normal speed until it hit the next taped junction and flashed ahead at light speed through the tape, as before. So the visco fuse burned along the 24 inch segment at about double speed. So my ten shot, 24 inch mortar rack that I thought would take 60 seconds to go off, went off in about 30 seconds roughly. So in my show, every time a mortar rack went off, it went off way faster than I calculated and there was a huge delay before the next cue went off! If you are shooting your show by pushing one button per cue as soon as the previous cue finishes this is no problem. But if you are programming a timed sequence using Sequencefire or Cobra or any other programmable device, you need to know exactly how fast your fused racks are going to fire. It won't be the fuse length times the seconds per foot! You might want to go out and fire a test rack of every type of rack you will shoot in your show, using the fuse you will use in your show; and time it. Alternatively you can set up a test piece of fuse, tape it to pieces of shell fuse, at the exact spacing of your mortar tubes and exactly the length of your rack(s), and fire that off and time it. My show timing was totally screwed up by this phenomenon. So yes, visco fuse taped to shell fuses speeds up a lot like quick match. Be aware.

mguerra
12-06-2013, 06:04 PM
I just loaded this rack and fused it up. There is about 24 inches of 30 second per foot fuse. There is about nine inches of that fuse that is not wrapped in masking tape. My guess is this fuse will burn in about 9/12 times 30 seconds or about 22 seconds. Not 60 seconds. I'll fire it off and time it to see.

displayfireworks1
12-06-2013, 07:31 PM
Is this the system you are referencing?
http://www.firingsystems.us/v/vspfiles/photos/SEQFIRE-32-2.jpg
http://www.firingsystems.us/v/vspfiles/photos/SEQFIRE-32-4.jpg
http://www.firingsystems.us/v/vspfiles/photos/SEQFIRE-32-6.jpg
http://www.firingsystems.us/v/vspfiles/photos/SEQFIRE-32-7.jpg

mguerra
12-06-2013, 07:59 PM
Yes. I love it. You can fire it manually button by button, or step fire it, or set it to fire all 32 cues in a row automaticallywith just one button press. The cues can all have the same time between them, or be custom programmed for a specific time between every cue. Super versatile. The link feature allows all 32 cues to fire as programmed, and then sends a signal to the next 32 cue field module to start its sequence as programmed. You can chain as many together as you want. You program the sequence very easily right on the box, no need for a PC and no need to write a script in Excel, Finale Fireworks or Cobra Show Creator. But I still think I want a Cobra. But this thing is excellent.

mguerra
12-15-2013, 02:00 AM
Here's how that rack went off: from the moment of fuse ignition it was 8 seconds until the first shell launched and 29 seconds until the final shell exploded in the air. That's a lot faster than you would expect from about 2 feet of fuse burning at 30 seconds per foot. You absolutely get a quick match type effect inside your masking tape segments. I have videotaped three tests and it is consistent. I'm revising the timing that I program in to my Sequencefire unit for mortar racks.