PDA

View Full Version : NFA Expo 2013 Who all went?

RisingComet
09-09-2013, 01:31 PM
From Fargo, we drove to Sioux Falls for the public display to see if it was worth joining.

I'm not an NFA member but I've considered joining in the past.
Might still join if some of this is going to be fixed next year. It has to be guaranteed though. I'd love to help out if it is. For one the audio cut out for two of the class C displays, as well as the first five or ten minutes of the display show. This happens, and I understand... but especially considering the competition was cancelled and these people/businesses invested alot of time and money scripting these shows, setting up, and shooting that much product... idk. If I was the person who scripted the show I would be in tears. Check with locals (esp tourism dept) and see if you can find someone who will lend you a redundancy PA. Also, a countdown before shoot time to keep the audience informed would be appreciated. There was nothing said over the pa until "Please rise for our National Anthem" with fireworks immediately following. No 10 minute reminder.

Also tape off the area in front of the speakers so you don't get feedback. Though it hurt my ears, it did give me a chuckle that they kept on doing it more than once. Why make the same mistake more than once if you can avoid it? Proposed New rule. If you have the mic, stay under the tent. lol

I wish they would bring the competition back. It keeps manufacturers from under/overloading, encourages consistently timed fuses lifts and breaks, and helps market the winning competitors products. It also adds the incentive for fireworks companies to release semi pro products. They have their place. I like them anyway.

The shows were absolutely beautiful though. Dominator didn't do a class C display... I love Dominator's shows and products. I can't for the life of me remember the names of the manufacturers/dists of the C shows. If someone could post these it would be appreciated.

Precocious Pyrotechnics did a great job with their B show. I love their farfalle shells. They go quire high, but don't burst with too much velocity. Just enough to make the size of the flower perfect.

If anyone knoww what happened with the audio system please share. Also, I hope these manufacturers don't jump ship. We need organisations like the NFA to not just keep the art alive, but to keep it healthy.

jknepp1954
09-10-2013, 01:00 AM
We went - been there every year since 2001.
Not sure what happened to the audio - they were having trouble the whole time there.
It was the board that decided not to do the "competitions". They thought that they kind of over stayed their welcome. I guess they had checked early on last year in preparation - no takers - hence the 3 C shows of Starr, Hales, and Jakes.
Precocious show was very nice i thought.
I wished our NFA members showed up even half as good as the public did...
Branson Missouri - here we come in 2014!