PDA

View Full Version : Fireworks with Rick (currently unlisted)

displayfireworks1
07-31-2013, 10:36 AM
This video is currently unlisted, you may view it here before its public release.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=198_pSnFJv4
In this video, I visit Rick near Harrisburg Pennsylvania for a private fireworks display. Year ago Rick contacted me wanting to learn about professional fireworks. He traveled to the Pittsburgh area and helped me with a Zambelli Fireworks display. You can see Rick in my video Pyro Magic Fireworks Firing System. Rick now has his ATF license and his own Magazine. My wish is he will continue to develop this yearly display and advance into electrical firing.
Products used in the display are from Lynch Imports, International Pyrotechnic Importers. Kellners Fireworks and Wholesale Fireworks Hubbard Ohio. You can find links to all these distributor on my website with this link

http://pyrotalk.com/sponsors.php

http://pix.epodunk.com/locatorMaps/pa/PA_14100.gif

PYRO321
07-31-2013, 12:08 PM
Great setup and awsome show glad to see more like this.

pistolus
07-31-2013, 09:01 PM
Yeah, that was an awesome show, better than a lot of public displays I've seen.. Nice

PyroMonkey
07-31-2013, 09:13 PM
Dave, there are a couple tricks that you may wish to pass along to your Cobra trainees. Before inserting the wires into the spring-loaded clips, bend each wire back onto itself, and then insert it. It effectively doubles the contact that the clip has with the wire, as well as shortens the length of exposed wires, so they can't contact one another. Also, after the two wires have been inserted, pinch both clips shut to ensure a secure connection.

It sounds like Rick is enthusiastic about having his license, and enjoys filling the sky. However, there was not a great deal of artistry in the show. There were a number of very nice cakes and shells that were stepped on with other product. This is my opinion, but he could have had a better show with half as much product, if he had allowed some items to be showcased by themselves (or paired up with a bit more consideration). I'm not saying to light every cake or shell one at a time... but some effects are better fired "solo". Like you said in the video, Dave, a good use of the Cobra is to fire the same cake at multiple positions, spaced 50-75 feet apart.

In the end, it's difficult to elicit an emotional response with a "sky puke". It may be exciting at first, but a 30-minute bombardment feels frantic and unplanned, and gets very tiring on the senses. Like a story or a piece of music, a show should have shape/form. The audience will appreciate the structure.

wpman321
08-01-2013, 12:22 AM
Another good video, thanks keep it up!

porcelmc
08-01-2013, 02:15 AM
I'm a huge fan of the WFboom stuff. Great video, thanks for posting!

Xtremerides.nl
08-01-2013, 05:55 AM
I'm a huge fan of the WFboom stuff. Great video, thanks for posting!

This is very great! Very good video! unfortunately i don't have much time so I scrolled but when it is in the end of september I look the whole video! I already bookmarked it ;)

smilli
08-01-2013, 12:11 PM
Great video Dave, nice products uses!

Acid Thunder
08-02-2013, 01:20 AM
Great video Dave, this is exactly what my goal is, to have my own piece of land, with my own mag and have the neighbors loving what I do.

I hear many different stories about having a mag on ones own land, not sure how it works in Pennsylvania, and if anyone is from Indiana I'd love to know how it works, especially with having to shoot "B" product within 24 hrs, etc.

I'm guessing as long as everything is logged and locked away. Or I hear you can get permits that are for longer lengths of time through the year, etc.

Phaedrus
08-03-2013, 04:18 PM
Dave, there are a couple tricks that you may wish to pass along to your Cobra trainees. Before inserting the wires into the spring-loaded clips, bend each wire back onto itself, and then insert it. It effectively doubles the contact that the clip has with the wire, as well as shortens the length of exposed wires, so they can't contact one another. Also, after the two wires have been inserted, pinch both clips shut to ensure a secure connection.

It sounds like Rick is enthusiastic about having his license, and enjoys filling the sky. However, there was not a great deal of artistry in the show. There were a number of very nice cakes and shells that were stepped on with other product. This is my opinion, but he could have had a better show with half as much product, if he had allowed some items to be showcased by themselves (or paired up with a bit more consideration). I'm not saying to light every cake or shell one at a time... but some effects are better fired "solo". Like you said in the video, Dave, a good use of the Cobra is to fire the same cake at multiple positions, spaced 50-75 feet apart.

In the end, it's difficult to elicit an emotional response with a "sky puke". It may be exciting at first, but a 30-minute bombardment feels frantic and unplanned, and gets very tiring on the senses. Like a story or a piece of music, a show should have shape/form. The audience will appreciate the structure.

This has to be the hardest thing to learn by far. Of course anyone can light off lots of fireworks and get lots of bang and color in the sky but the next step is getting it to coordinate not only with other cakes or shells in the show but in a "story" or take some sort of shape as you said. But as Dave pointed out Rick was getting free help and was hand lighting some stuff. I'm sure he will get much much better as time goes on.

displayfireworks1
08-03-2013, 10:30 PM
I am going to keep following Rick with this annual display; I predict next years display will be different. Setting up a professional fireworks display is more work and organization than most people realize. I think him and his brother may have done most of this setup. I arrived late and just helped with some electric match. I think Rick now realizes when you have the amount of product he had you have to also add in firing systems, wire and more labor. A fireworks firing system was low on the priority list this year because he wanted to have his own magazine and chose to allocate his funds on storage. For a fireworks enthusiast I think having your own magazine is one of the best things ever.

displayfireworks1
08-05-2013, 01:23 PM
Rick send video of his full display, this is his photography. It is playing unlisted on my YouTube channel but you can watch it here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWDLT5CRjiQ

SCPyrotechnician
08-05-2013, 05:57 PM

Great advice. That is how I was taught, and that's how I teach my guys to do it now.