PDA

View Full Version : Hobbyist adding 1.3g to backyard show (Michigan)

jay_31
07-07-2013, 02:39 PM
Hey everyone, so after a lot of searching around the internet and finding the gold mine dvd's that Dave has provided for everyone, I have some questions regarding the use of 1.3g fireworks in Michigan.

Assuming you have an ATF license/permit (duh), would I still have to obtain a display permit from the local authorities if i wanted to add 1.3g fireworks such as 3" shells, salutes, cakes, and thunder kings to a backyard show like anyone would have on the 4th of July?

Michigan law states (if I'm not mistaken) that a local authority having jurisdiction may grant display permits to those who apply for them. And also, those applying for the display permit would have to show financial responsibility.

Is all this necessary just to add some legitimate fireworks to the backyard shows I throw for my friends and family?

Glasscitypyro
07-07-2013, 04:05 PM
yes you need a local permit to shoot 1.3 in Michigan as far as the insurance goes its not for a professional display for profit so it might not be needed it all is up to the county/city or township that you apply for a permit from there all different when it comes to that.

jay_31
07-07-2013, 04:30 PM
yes you need a local permit to shoot 1.3 in Michigan as far as the insurance goes its not for a professional display for profit so it might not be needed it all is up to the county/city or township that you apply for a permit from there all different when it comes to that.

Thanks for the clarification Glasscitypyro. I had a feeling the permit was a must have to use 1.3g at any time. I'll have to look into the insurance aspect a little more though. I've been looking into different cities and their rules/ordinances regarding the use of 1.3g and I can't seem to find much information on it. For example, my friend lives in Shelby Township and their website has no information regarding display permits for 1.3g and neither does their Fire Department website. I might have to give them a call to get some clarification on the matter.

dime333
07-08-2013, 02:51 PM
Hey jay_31,
I live in Michigan as well, and yes you do need a permit from the township where you will be shooting from. As far as insurance goes, it is up to them. I am in Hadley township and shot a show from my own property on the 6th of July and all they wanted was a hold harmless signed and a signature that I had homeowners insuranc. My supplier/contingency storage for 1.3 actually offers what is called a "ship show" policy, which is a $1million policy good for only that specific show. Who is your supplier?

jay_31
07-08-2013, 05:48 PM
Hey jay_31,
I live in Michigan as well, and yes you do need a permit from the township where you will be shooting from. As far as insurance goes, it is up to them. I am in Hadley township and shot a show from my own property on the 6th of July and all they wanted was a hold harmless signed and a signature that I had homeowners insurance. My supplier/contingency storage for 1.3 actually offers what is called a "ship show" policy, which is a $1million policy good for only that specific show. Who is your supplier?

Hey dime333, thanks for the info. What was the process like obtaining the actual display permit? I'm in Oakland County but I plan on shooting my shows in Macomb County in Shelby Township. I'm not sure how they do their permitting over there just yet. I'm still in the process of getting my Type 54. Just trying to get all the info I can at this stage.

I don't have a supplier just yet but I'm looking into Ace Pyro over in Manchester since they're not too far from where I live. They're outside of Ann Arbor. They offer contingency storage which is what I'm looking for and finding that in the Metro Detroit area is not that easy. If you have any recommendations as to 1.3g suppliers in my area I'd really appreciate the info.

dime333
07-08-2013, 07:24 PM
Jay,
It will very from township to township,however all of them will require a site plan showing where you are shooting from, where the viewing area is, any buildings in area, road, and distances to all of the above. And also a copy of your ATF license. I would also urge you to take a display operator class. Ace offers one in the spring. I deal with Wolverine Fireworks Inc and they are an excellent organization to work with. They are near Bay City. They do offer contingency storage as well and have a great PGI certification class in the spring usually with a product demo the same day. PM me if you need any contact info.

jay_31
07-08-2013, 08:00 PM
I deal with Wolverine Fireworks Inc and they are an excellent organization to work with. They are near Bay City. They do offer contingency storage as well and have a great PGI certification class in the spring usually with a product demo the same day. PM me if you need any contact info.

I was actually looking at Wolverine but they are just way too far from me. You being in Hadley Township isn't too bad of a trip. But for me that would be twice the drive.

It will very from township to township,however all of them will require a site plan showing where you are shooting from, where the viewing area is, any buildings in area, road, and distances to all of the above.

I'm thinking I probably wouldn't be able to get a display permit from the city I'd be trying to shoot in. It's a friend of mines backyard in a pretty big neighborhood. There's a man-made lake in their backyard and there's a lot of houses that line the lake. The houses are pretty big, you could say they're 'upscale' I guess. I know there's minimum distances and such for using display fireworks. It's probably only 50 ft. from the firing site to the back porch entrance and even shorter distances between houses. This probably wouldn't sit right with an inspector would it?