PDA

View Full Version : Artillery shell fusing.

rodneyp
06-25-2013, 05:13 PM
I'm new to this but have two questions.
1. How fast is too fast for a mortar rack? I have 6 racks of 50 for a fake finale and a finale. On the finale, I want to send a bunch in the air at the end. I could send 50 in the air in about 1/2 second but is that too many? I feel like two going up is better than 1, but how many is too many to where you don't see a difference?

2. I fused all my stuff with the tesa tape (same as uhaul). I also added a wire tie over the tape so it won't unroll after sitting for a couple of weeks. Is this acceptable?

Pyro Nation
06-25-2013, 07:57 PM
Never to fast for a finale

I use BIGS Grey .4 sec/ft all the time for racks.

You can tape weeks ahead of time. I have taped 1 month before.

Firework Crazy
06-25-2013, 08:11 PM
Never to fast for a finale

I use BIGS Grey .4 sec/ft all the time for racks.

You can tape weeks ahead of time. I have taped 1 month before.
- Here's something you might find a little interesting about quick fuse.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mGyqxnJvSLU

rodneyp
06-25-2013, 09:02 PM
Cool. I have 2 racks of 50 each I was going to fuse with the 30 second fuse that would steadily go during the 150 cake show. After that I was going to do 2 racks of 50 fused a little faster for a fake finale and then two racks of 50 fused fast for the finale. Am I in the ball park with my thinking? I've never done a show before. Thank you so much for the reply!!!! One last thing, I was tearing less than a square of tape for the fuses but once I started wrapping, it seemed like a lot. Any chance I used too much?

displayfireworks1
06-25-2013, 09:21 PM
Trying to time everything exactly with long fuses is difficult but you can still put on a nice display. It sounds like you are using just 1.4-product, use fast fuse on the last artillery shells and have that as separate hit. Then now matter how the body of the show goes you can just run over and light the finale when it is appropriate.
As far as tape, you can tape over the fuse without a problem because fuse carries its own oxidizer in its composition.

rodneyp
06-25-2013, 09:30 PM
Thank you again for the reply!!! This feedback is invaluable to me and very much appreciated. Yes, I am using only 1.4 and I have 26 minutes of show that I will fire a separate 1 minute pre fused board each minute by remote. It is for our lake show. I have a huge music system that will be playing some special audio tracks. I have a big enough system rented to fill the lake with music. Does anyone have experience with this and does the music take away a lot from the bangs? I assume a little but the song snippets tell a story of America that I want people to hear and get.

rtx440
06-25-2013, 10:23 PM
I just built a 50 shot mortar rack this year and a I did a test fire. Mine is 5 rows of 10. I did the first 20 with pink 2sec per foot fuse and used all festival balls then the last 30 with grey. 4 sec a foot fuse and filled it with 24 Excalibur canister shells and 6 salutes. The whole rack discharged in roughly 3 seconds. It looked and sounded great perfect mix of delay and speed and noise. I plan on doin the same set up for the 4th. Watch Dave's video on here I believe its called consumer finale rack project. It was alot of help on this subject

displayfireworks1
06-25-2013, 10:34 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_Kj17upny4

Pyro Nation
06-25-2013, 10:36 PM
- Here's something you might find a little interesting about quick fuse.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mGyqxnJvSLU

Whats interesting about it... not getting what ur pointing out

Firework Crazy
06-25-2013, 11:14 PM
Whats interesting about it... not getting what ur pointing out
Shut yur mouth man..Lol. You mentioned BIG's so I thought to show you a faster fuse. Imagine rapping that in tape.....would make it faster than a bullet.

Pyro Nation
06-26-2013, 12:22 AM
Dont have to wrap in tape. Just use kraft tube like pyrodirect has a kit for.. feed grey fast fuse through it

http://www.pyrodirect.com/Item/089-5003

Pyro Nation
06-26-2013, 12:23 AM
Dont have to wrap in tape. Just use kraft tube like pyrodirect has a kit for.. feed grey fast fuse through it

http://www.pyrodirect.com/Item/089-5003

rcerone1979
06-26-2013, 01:01 AM
I wasn't impressed with the canon fuse I had last year, I am a bigs quick fuse guy, its always been consistent. Just my opinion, but interesting video.

rodneyp
06-26-2013, 05:45 AM
Yes, I have watched that video many times in the last month. I appreciate the explanations that came with that video. It helped me a ton.

rodneyp
06-26-2013, 05:47 AM
Thank you, that's good info!

rodneyp
06-26-2013, 06:11 AM
Great info! Anyone have any experience with adding music to a show. I'm concerned with the volume of the music adding or taking away from the show.

rodneyp
06-26-2013, 06:19 PM
Anybody have any experience with adding music to a show? I have a huge sound system rented with some special audio tracks. I need everyone on the lake to hear the music and the message but I don't know how loud I can go before I take away from the booms.

rodneyp
06-26-2013, 06:20 PM
Does anybody have any experience with adding music to a show? I have a huge sound system rented with some special audio tracks. I need everyone on the lake to hear the music and the message but I don't know how loud I can go before I take away from the booms.

rodneyp
06-26-2013, 09:10 PM
Does anybody have any experience with adding music to a show? I have a huge sound system rented with some special audio tracks. I need everyone on the lake to hear the music and the message but I don't know how loud I can go before I take away from the booms.

rodneyp
06-26-2013, 09:11 PM

rodneyp
06-26-2013, 09:15 PM