PDA

View Full Version : Give Some Input On A *~Canister-Ball Shell~* Combination Project!!

Firework Crazy
06-19-2013, 01:11 PM
I wanted to try something that I thought would be cool to do. I got a couple packs of those cheap festival ball shells for free and a case of XS HD canisters. My idea....is to cutt the lift cup from the festies and hot glue them on the canisters.....and add their lift charges into the canisters for weight compensation. I'm positive this will work? Tell me what you think. Thanks

Firework Crazy
06-19-2013, 03:10 PM
Part of this may be confusing....I'm glueing the shell on top of the canister not the lift cups.

PyroJoeNEPA
06-19-2013, 06:42 PM
It Won't Work! The canisters have a clay plug & a paper/cardboard end cap which is quite thick--the time fuse from the ball shell wouldn't be long enough to get into the canister even if you punched a hole in the end===which I highly recommend you DO NOT ATTEMPT to do. Also, unless the ball shell was completely rewrapped the lift gases from the can would ignite the ball shell in the tube & blow up.
Points for thinking outside the box-- but you can't reinvent the wheel with this one--already been done & is called a "peanut shell". Just light the ball shells & enjoy them for the little friends that they are. Free is always good in the pyro world.

tarkus4
06-19-2013, 06:45 PM
With the added lift charge your tube may not be able to withstand the added pressure and explode.

Firework Crazy
06-19-2013, 08:50 PM
Well....should have put more time into righting this thread. The idea was only to glue it on top...not infuse them together as one. Having the time fuse placed to the side. I tested out the time frame for the little shit's and it should match up decently to the canister. I wonder what the compositions made out of...it was a yellow-white color, and the stars are a joke lol. Tarkus4, are you sure...there's not much BP in these ball shell's lift bro bro....no faith in the fibers?

PyroJoeNEPA
06-19-2013, 09:09 PM
You can add more lift to the shell doing it that way--but you won't get it all in there. I added extra lift to cans to try to get extra height with a piggyback, but the time fuse always popped the shell before it got a lot higher--compared side by side the "boosted" can went about the additional distance of half the burst pattern--so maybe 50-60 feet max. Several of the guys on here were at a club shoot when I tried it & the general consensus was--"not worth the effort". If you try it, let me know how it works out.

Firework Crazy
06-19-2013, 09:18 PM
Don't have a scale...but visually it's not that much. Forgot to add that the mortar is in a BIG's 28s fan rack.( addition to my previous reply)

Firework Crazy
06-19-2013, 09:26 PM
You can add more lift to the shell doing it that way--but you won't get it all in there. I added extra lift to cans to try to get extra height with a piggyback, but the time fuse always popped the shell before it got a lot higher--compared side by side the "boosted" can went about the additional distance of half the burst pattern--so maybe 50-60 feet max. Several of the guys on here were at a club shoot when I tried it & the general consensus was--"not worth the effort". If you try it, let me know how it works out.
-thanks for the knowledge, I'll let you know.

PyroJoeNEPA
06-19-2013, 09:27 PM
Don't have a scale...but visually it's not that much. Forgot to add that the mortar is in a BIG's 28s fan rack.( addition to my previous reply)
The "el cheapo" ball shells are usually around 20-24 grams. Lift usually 10% of weight--so about 2 grams extra powder in there.
Those little ball shells make nice "inserts" in a 4" hemi...Just Sayin' :-) [especially the 1.25" ones]

Firework Crazy
06-19-2013, 09:41 PM
Those little ball shells make nice "inserts" in a 4" hemi...Just Sayin' :-) [especially the 1.25" ones]
- Especially because I'm starting the hobby. I'll remember that...good idea man. This was just something I thought would be fun to do.