PDA

View Full Version : Piggy Backing Consumer Artillery Shells

Firework Crazy
06-12-2013, 05:54 AM
I recently purchased one of those 28 shot fanned racks with the yellow mortars. Can I piggy back with these. The plugs are around an inch and a quarter with a hardened cement glue to keep them in. (blue, yellow, or gray in color)

http://catalog.kellfire.com/individual?id=MFR1.75

Firework Crazy
06-12-2013, 06:17 AM
Mortars are about 1' 1.5" in length.

GApyroCHICK
06-12-2013, 12:28 PM
Although I feel there are a lot of people more qualified around here to answer this than me, since no one has responded yet (there may be a reason for that) here goes...

Can you piggy back them?- Sure you can, but that's not the question. The question is -should you?

The mortars are capable of it, sure, and yes it will work, a couple of times...But how safe do you feel doing that? How comfortable do you feel placing your audience at risk?

Best answer- get more tubes! :)

p.s. I'm assuming you are asking about ball shells not canisters.

PyroManiacs
06-12-2013, 01:36 PM
This is generally a bad idea, although it would work (a few times). I have never done it, or will ever do it. And GApyroChik is right... more tubes! Better safe then sorry.

Firework Crazy
06-12-2013, 06:14 PM
p.s. I'm assuming you are asking about ball shells not canisters.

I was actually thinking of putting ball shells under XS HD canisters. In a Video that Dave posted a guy just took out the fuse and fused one on top...but they were both ball shells. Based on this I thought..." Maybe I'll just try it once with the vertical mortars and not the angled". "Instead of taking out the hole fuse, i'll keep like a quarter inch on em." It's exactly like Roman candles but better. Though Ball and Canister is probably a no go right?

crackerbomb
06-12-2013, 07:22 PM
We have done this. We put artilery shells under pro shells. We did this on hdpe pipe. I wouldn't trust fiberglass.

Firework Crazy
06-12-2013, 07:50 PM
We have done this. We put artilery shells under pro shells. We did this on hdpe pipe. I wouldn't trust fiberglass.

- Oh all right. I guess I won't do it.

Firework Crazy
06-12-2013, 08:18 PM
This is the story. I had one more shell to fuse, when it fell off the rack into my drink. Didn't want to waste it so I put the stars and lift charge in the mortar. I there after cut three round spacers out of plates. Two, a layer of shredded paper towels, and than one more. I attached the time fuse, dipped side down to the contents, to perfect fuse, with the spacers slipped around the fuse. Would I be stooped to light it? What would happen?

pyromustang
06-13-2013, 11:59 AM
Yes it will work. but I will never do it. just add a tube and be safe.

Firework Crazy
06-13-2013, 12:04 PM
Yes it will work. but I will never do it. just add a tube and be safe.

- What do you mean add a tube?

pyro man 205
06-13-2013, 10:07 PM
here is some old post that might help( Piggybacking 1.75" shells )Started by lightit up, 05-01-2012

pyro man 205
06-13-2013, 10:25 PM
that post has been asked a lot. I have done this 2x and you will get a low break. if you want to fire off more sells get more guns. or buy some 2 break shells. but DONT add any tubes together to make it longer if by some chance the two tubes come apart when that shells go off it. 15" still will not help make it go higher. hope this helps. just be safe when you do things like this if you decide to do this.

Firework Crazy
06-13-2013, 11:09 PM
that post has been asked a lot. I have done this 2x and you will get a low break. if you want to fire off more sells get more guns. or buy some 2 break shells. but DONT add any tubes together to make it longer if by some chance the two tubes come apart when that shells go off it. 15" still will not help make it go higher. hope this helps. just be safe when you do things like this if you decide to do this.
- Ya I'm not going to. Placed the shells, and the mortar is just too short for comfort.

nrubmx
06-15-2013, 07:08 PM
I was actually thinking of putting ball shells under XS HD canisters. In a Video that Dave posted a guy just took out the fuse and fused one on top...but they were both ball shells. Based on this I thought..." Maybe I'll just try it once with the vertical mortars and not the angled". "Instead of taking out the hole fuse, i'll keep like a quarter inch on em." It's exactly like Roman candles but better. Though Ball and Canister is probably a no go right?

it seems like the cans would work better on the bottom so that thing just rip out of the tube carrying the ball with it but I have no idea I have never done nor will I ever do this maybe should do some test shots..

Firework Crazy
06-15-2013, 08:34 PM
it seems like the cans would work better on the bottom so that thing just rip out of the tube carrying the ball with it but I have no idea I have never done nor will I ever do this maybe should do some test shots..
- Maybe I should have mentioned that the reason I wanted to figure out a little more about this subject is because I got a box of those cheap festival balls for free. Their so light that it may work, for the sake of those who are curious I'll try it out. You had a pretty good idea but I have to do something about the added wait of the ball shell and tape...so I'm going to add the lift charge of separate shells under the canisters. (one per)

Firework Crazy
06-15-2013, 08:56 PM
- Maybe I should have mentioned that the reason I wanted to figure out a little more about this subject is because I got a box of those cheap festival balls for free. Their so light that it may work, for the sake of those who are curious I'll try it out. You had a pretty good idea but I have to do something about the added wait of the ball shell and tape...so I'm going to add the lift charge of separate shells under the canisters. (one per)
(Lift wrapped in tissue paper)