PDA

View Full Version : 20 Year Old Access to Launch Site

Waymon3x6
05-16-2013, 11:06 PM
Guys,

I managed to gain access to the launch site to help a team of professionals set up their show tomorrow morning. I am 20 years old, and have never been around a professional launch site before.

Do you guys have any pointers on things I should concentrate on to get the most out of the experience? I am more than willing to lend a hand and unload racks etc, but I am more interested in learning how to handle the shells and actually set them up. Perhaps fire them too (is this even legal?) I feel like there is so much to learn, and 1 afternoon won't be enough, so I'm asking if there is anything in particular I should pay close attention to or ask about to get the most out of this experience since this only happens once a year in my town.

Thanks guys

PyroJoeNEPA
05-17-2013, 11:05 AM
99.9999% probability you will not be handling or lighting shells---but you may be unloading boxes with them in. Most likely your help will be utilized in unloading & setting up racks. [Not a glamorous job--but the backbone of the show]. Find out who the Lead Pyro is [crew chief] on the job & let him know of your interest to learn about pyro. Offer to help them in the future & have your contact info --name, address, phone number--already written out for him on a card. Do the best job that you can, stay out of the way of the regular crew & watch how they do things...have a willing attitude. Good luck.

Waymon3x6
05-19-2013, 01:04 AM
Thanks Joe, actually I did get to hand light 4 or 5 6inch shells which was pretty cool. We originally had them squibbed to the modular to fire them, but for some reason they did not fire. So we just hit the quickmatch after the show was finished. Lots of hands on experience. I took a video of the whole thing if anyone is interested. A lot of stuff happened to go wrong which made it even more exciting (nothing life threatening) so check out the video here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CVbELICJUM

0:42 - First Shot Problems
1:15 - Warning Shot
1:30 - Start of Show
3:10 - Hand Lighting 6" Shells
5:35 - Shit Hits the Fan
7:20 - Shell Misfire
9:10 - Handfiring 6" Shells with 9v Battery
11:15 - Handfiring 6" Shells with 9v Battery Dialogue
11:55 - Misfire
12:45 - My Shells Go Off
18:00 - Finale
20:55 - Insane Cake
22:50 - Wiring Dud Shells that did not Shoot

Donnie
08-11-2017, 04:14 PM
Thanks Joe, actually I did get to hand light 4 or 5 6inch shells which was pretty cool. We originally had them squibbed to the modular to fire them, but for some reason they did not fire. So we just hit the quickmatch after the show was finished. Lots of hands on experience. I took a video of the whole thing if anyone is interested. A lot of stuff happened to go wrong which made it even more exciting (nothing life threatening) so check out the video here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CVbELICJUM

0:42 - First Shot Problems
1:15 - Warning Shot
1:30 - Start of Show
3:10 - Hand Lighting 6" Shells
5:35 - Shit Hits the Fan
7:20 - Shell Misfire
9:10 - Handfiring 6" Shells with 9v Battery
11:15 - Handfiring 6" Shells with 9v Battery Dialogue
11:55 - Misfire
12:45 - My Shells Go Off
18:00 - Finale
20:55 - Insane Cake
22:50 - Wiring Dud Shells that did not Shoot

SO, I'm necro-ing this thread to say that I've seen that video before, and thought it was cool that I happened upon your story, and that there were some new hands on that show.

nayslayer
08-11-2017, 04:38 PM
Oh yeah, I've seen this elsewhere. Nice dig up.

displayfireworks1
08-11-2017, 08:51 PM
That video is from 2013. Am I missing something?

Rick_In_Tampa
08-12-2017, 12:25 PM
Trying to co-opt someone elses video and story eh. Not cool....

PyroManiacs
08-12-2017, 02:13 PM

Exactly what Im thinking.

vegassalute
08-12-2017, 02:45 PM
No room for that nonsense! We have enough anti-pyro enemies. God only knows the motives.

vegassalute
08-12-2017, 02:52 PM

I distinctly recall the video too. I remember thinking what a sin it was to have such disorganization and unprofessional behavior with such beautiful shells. Ugg that voice.

cherrybomb1
08-13-2017, 05:49 AM

This is where Paul Harvey would say"And Now The Rest Of The Story".Inside joke for us older guys.lol

Donnie
08-13-2017, 03:53 PM

Nope. That's why I said I was necro-ing it. New to the forums, and I was going to the back to see what you guys were talking about years ago. Remembered seeing this video on Youtube, but didn't know any of the back story.

Trying to co-opt someone elses video and story eh. Not cool....

You're kidding, right? Did you read my post?

I distinctly recall the video too. I remember thinking what a sin it was to have such disorganization and unprofessional behavior with such beautiful shells. Ugg that voice.

Yeah, definitely a what's what of things NOT to do. And he sounds like Ray Barone from Everyone Loves Raymond to me, lol.

No room for that nonsense! We have enough anti-pyro enemies. God only knows the motives.

:rolleyes: :confused:

This is where Paul Harvey would say"And Now The Rest Of The Story".Inside joke for us older guys.lol

Guess I'm an old guy too, lol.

I will say, it's one of the few videos I've actually seen of any of pyromate's panels in action, which is why I remember watching it. As a firing system afficionado, it's unbelievable how little footage there are of most of the world's systems in action.