PDA

View Full Version : Mascleta in PA

PyroJoeNEPA
04-04-2013, 03:42 PM
This first clip is a single 25 foot string of 10 salutes. When I was planning to set the Mascleta up at a recent club shoot the weather forecast was calling for snow that day--so up until the last minute it looked like we would not be able to set it up. Like a true pyro I had to have something to light off so we lit this single string off. As it turns out, the weather did clear up and you will see more of the day's events.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMiWVYajo1Q&feature=youtu.be

PyroJoeNEPA
04-04-2013, 04:15 PM
As we all have encountered in our pyro exploits things don't always go as planned: The original design for the Mascleta was a starter of a 25 shot smoke cake called "Zeus Calls Down Thunder" followed by a 120 shot "foghetti" or "machine gun" cake, then a rack of 10 misc canister shells fast fused going to two "Tracta" strings 50 feet long set up parallel to each other about 10 feet apart. This then fed the "Terrimoto" which was 11 strings of 10 salutes of different sizes, leading to a Tannerite crackle cake, a Thunder King, a Whirling Thunder King, 2 rows of 10 shot 2 1/2" Titanium Salutes & a rack of 3" Salutes & Color shells. That is how it was supposed to go.
Now--what really happened--:mad::(:eek: I tested my firing system at the shop prior to the event--but did not put new batteries in the receivers. Major Mistake!!! Units tested continuity ok but did not have enough umph to fire the ematches! I will never make that stupid mistake again--and the worst part is I had bought a half gross of new batteries for the receivers for this season!!!
Originally I was going to put stakes in the ground with 8 foot 1x3" poles to suspend the strings, but the ground was frozen solid as cement. So, we improvised & zip tied all the poles to a fence that was there. The two Tracta strings got tied together instead of being spread out & everything was in a straight line.
When it came time to fire--nothing happened--the ultimate pyro headache!!! Hitting buttons in despair, the que for the 3" & 2 1/2" salutes worked & the string started firing from the end in reverse! It got as far as the two Tracta strings but the force blew the quick match leaders apart & it stopped. Down time & regroup--finally someone suggested using his Cobra system to fire what was left--so we did. By this time it was getting dark, but we got it all fired.
So, the video was pieced together to show as best it could what the shoot looked like. All in all, it sounded awesome...but would have been so much better if it fired correctly.
Thanks to Pyroliffic for video taping & editing the footage & helping with the setup, UniversalPyro for the use of his Cobra system, EasternPaPyro & Jays12talk for help with the setup.
We will do it again--bigger, better, louder, & with a Cobra Firing System!!!
Setup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGUXWUZz4Ww&feature=youtu.be

Actual Firing:
[
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoTP4AXxMBk&feature=youtu.be

smilli
04-06-2013, 05:37 AM
Haha very nice to see the mascleta has gone overseas, good job!
Do you mind if i post this on a dutch fireworks forum?

displayfireworks1
04-06-2013, 09:11 AM
I like how you did the string to keep them above the ground when they drop. In the video of it going off it looks like there is a section missing. Never mind I see where you talked about it in your post.

PyroJoeNEPA
04-06-2013, 10:02 AM
Haha very nice to see the mascleta has gone overseas, good job!
Do you mind if i post this on a dutch fireworks forum?

Feel free to repost it on the Dutch Forum. All comments are welcome.

PyroJoeNEPA
04-06-2013, 10:04 AM
I like how you did the string to keep them above the ground when they drop. In the video of it going off it looks like there is a section missing. Never mind I see where you talked about it in your post.
Lots of clove hitches there, Dave, between all the buckets, the salutes, & the drop lines. LOL!

pyromustang
04-06-2013, 12:18 PM
Still looks good to me.