PDA

View Full Version : mortar tubes

MikeyFastFuse
03-14-2013, 04:00 PM
I know most of you have gone over this time and time again but... Is there an advantage to using DR11 15" mortar tubes over 12's or an advantage over plugged as opposed to unplugged??? Also, if plugged is the way to go, are 12's too short with the added plug making 15's a better choice??? T

PyroMonkey
03-14-2013, 04:43 PM
There is little to no advantage in using a 15" mortar. Even a 12" plugged mortar gives you at least 10.5" of empty "barrel" (assuming a 1.5" plug). That's plenty of room for the lift charge to perform as intended. What you will find with 15" mortars is that few shells (except some premium canisters) come with a fuse long enough to reach to the top. So my opinion is... 15" mortars do nothing besides add to the weight of your rack. Now, if you're piggybacking mines/shells, you would benefit from the added length... but that's another story that's been discussed here in other threads.

MikeyFastFuse
03-14-2013, 04:48 PM
Ok that sounds good... Now, would you spend the extra money on the plugged or no?

PyroMonkey
03-14-2013, 04:56 PM
Which unplugged mortars are you looking at? If you are comparing two types of HDPE mortars, either those with wood plugs, or those molded as one piece, it's up to your personal preference. I think the wood plugs tend to be the stronger of the two (someone correct me if I'm wrong). However, if the mortars are not stored well, the wood plugs can rot and loosen up, and ultimately fail... in which case the molded mortars could be a better choice.

MikeyFastFuse
03-14-2013, 05:00 PM
Im thinking of ordering from pyrodirect... so I believe they are wooden, which is fine for me. Thank you for the advice. can't wait to have some beers and build these racks!

fogle22
03-14-2013, 09:01 PM
PyroDirect DR11 tubes have a 1.5" wood plug. Great tubes, great price and great customer service.

As previously mentioned, no advantage to 15" guns...save your money and muscle, stay with 12".

pyromustang
03-15-2013, 03:40 AM
I have used 15" and 12" in the past. now I only use 12"