PDA

View Full Version : Rack from kit tubes.

paulcatucci
03-14-2013, 03:20 PM
So I am new to the forum. I just wanted to show how you can make a rack out of old mortar tubes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOE47ZFY8nE&feature=youtu.be

PyroManiacs
03-14-2013, 10:58 PM
I also hold onto my kit tubes. Why not, right?

PyroJoeNEPA
03-15-2013, 11:22 AM
Nice "how to" video.
Two suggestions I would offer:
1. Taking into consideration the difference in length of the racks because of the O.D. [Outside Diameter] of the different tubes, you may want to consider making all of your racks the same length & using a spacer between tubes 5 & 6 in the middle to make up the difference in length. This will give you uniformity when you have a lot of racks & want to fasten them together into "pods". Also makes storage easier.
2. I've salvaged a lot of the fiberglass tubes & have found when knocking the bases off of them-like you were doing- a good part of the plug breaks away. This is a sawdust/glue composition. Originally I fixed this with a mixture of sawdust dampened with carpenters glue made into a putty like paste--but recently found using "Gorilla Glue" with sawdust makes a much stronger bottom plug. It dries as hard as a rock!
Good luck with your future projects & welcome to the Forum!

paulcatucci
03-15-2013, 06:46 PM
On the black tubes there was a 1 1/2" wood plug in it. The yellow tubes had that glue and sawdust plug you were talking about and i will try the gorilla glue on it thank you for your suggestion.